Longest lasting rear tire

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Couch_ninja, Mar 13, 2014.

1. PNW ULY

PNW ULY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Put 19,000+ on a Michelin PR3 rear tire - - mounted on a Buell Ulysses. Mostly slab commuting; still with some tread, but swapped to new as the rainy season began a few months ago.

I'm no lightweight, about 185 lbs. with gear, probably less than 10 lbs. in the top case.

Great road and rain tire, not a good choice for non-paved surfaces.
  2. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heidenau, yes to noise, yes to vibes. Less of either than Bridgestone Battlewings though which are a lot more road biased.

The newer ones seem to be better, the first set I used had a supercharger like whine at exactly 60kph. Since that's the urban speed limit here that wasn't as bad as it might have been - convenient in some ways.Still some noise around that speed with the new ones, but I have to listen for it and I don't really notice anything at speed with the current set.

One tip with the Heidies, the rubber is incredibly tough, trim of the hairs left from the moulding and thrash the hell out of them early. If you do that the surface scuffs up quite nicely and they have pretty decent grip. If you baby them they'll stay shiney for a long while.

I prefer them to pure road tires on the backroads here, lots of gravel, sand, and broken seal, they grip really well on those marginal surfaces. And yes, great life, I managed to destroy my last front tire embarrassing sportsbikes (Wore the second row of knobs in from the edge down to nubs), other than that the front and rear had at least half the tread left @12,000k's.

Pete
  3. fortrider

fortrider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    i'll throw my 2 cents in for the Heidenau K 60. Big heavy pig Stlevio got over 11k. A little noisy, but a great tire for most riding on or off. Still had tread left but needed knobbies for off road class. Will put on a new set when the TKC's are done. Might get 3500 on them if I am lucky. A bit of a bitch to mount by hand. Well worth what the dealer is charging to install, plus a great way to support your local shop.
  4. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    Another vote for the original Tourance. They see 12,000mi regularly on the big GS bikes. I wouldn't waste my time on the K60 only because it's not very good in the rain and not great in the offroad terrain I've taken it on here in the desert. The Anakee 2 or 3 are also great long lasting tires if they make them for your bike.
  5. Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog Long timer

Oddometer:
    The K60s have some road noise but not terrible. No more than the wind noise with a stock Tiger windshield. I notice a lot of thump at very low speeds. As smooth as anything else once you speed up. I will put them on again when they wear out.

I am coming up on 9,000 with my K60s. I figure to get a couple of more.

I have use the ME880 on heavy sport tourers (Triumph Trophy/ BMW R1150RT). Usually got around 12,000 out of them, might get more with a light bike like the Tiger. Be advised they make a bit of noise as well once they get about half worn.
  6. Chuck in Indiana

Chuck in Indiana Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ran 10K miles on a set of Anakee 3's last year on my Stelvio NTX. Both tires could have gone another 1-2K before the wear bars. That mileage was virtually all loaded, solo, long distance touring.
  7. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    I wanted better road performance for my DL650 than the Tourance offered: the relief cuts aren't helpful at high lean angles.

Put on on Conti Road Attack 2, which lasted over 10,000 miles on the rear and improved dry and wet handling.

[​IMG]
  8. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    +1

And also, WHY the XC Tiger for 99:1? *facepalm*
  9. garandman

Oddometer:
    Here's the RA2 tire after a summer track day. I replaced it at 10,000 miles because I'd started to wear a strip in the center (I weigh a lot and commuted with loaded bags) but it could have lasted another couple of thousand miles.
    [​IMG]
  10. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Nicely worn, especially considering the bike it's on!
  11. garandman

Oddometer:
    Well, "Adventure riding" is mostly about taking inappropriate hardware places it doesn't belong, isn't it?

[​IMG]
  12. Mtneer

Mtneer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just proving the the versatility of adventure bikes, I'm sure it was fun especially when you passed a true sport bike. I might have to try a set of the Conti's on my Tiger after I burn up the BT023's.
  13. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Years ago, some dude on a DL1000 showed up at a track day here, and smoked practically everyone. It was even more humiliating for all the sportsbike riders, because it is a fast track (and in fact the only track over here, that you can call ´fast´).... and I remember the hilarious aftermath of this on the net, every CBR, GSX-R and R1 rider had some sort of excuse - if they even admitted to have been there in the first place! :lol3
  14. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    OP - you don't say where you live/ride - it makes a difference!
    The K60s can be noisy on coarse chip or concrete surfaces, but their dirt-road grip and longevity outweigh this.
    I'm on a 220kg+ Aprilia Caponord: Tourances vanished quickly - and were also utterly diaboloical on muddy dirt roads, or wet grass: it was not a question of IF you'd fall over, but merely WHEN.
    In contrast, the K60s allow me to drag pegs on bitumen and while they will still spin up on dirt, what wouldn't with 100 rwhp? They offer good grip on firm dirt, are predictible when the clay gets muddy, are really good on rocky climbs & descents and seem resistant to punctures. My front tyre goes close to 20,000km and I normally replace the rear at between 12 & 14,000km.
    My wife has an identical bike and it came with Continental Trail Attacks: they were okay and lasted about 12,000km, though she rides less dirt and is a more responsible, adult rider than me... Doesn't stop her dragging metal sometimes though!
    She now has Michelin Anakees fitted and loves them.
    I'd steer clear of Battlewings, as they seem to go "off" rather suddenly; also there have been reports of some of the cheaper tyres delaminating when used on more powerful bikes.
    Good luck!
  15. SMURPH

SMURPH Still learning

Oddometer:
    Heidenau K60's for me please.

First trip with them was slab from Alberta to Southern California. That was 2 years ago. Still on same set after 14,000 kms. Figure I have another 3-5000 left on this set. New set on order. Usual travel is 90% slab, 10% gravel, fire/logging roads. All klicks were 1 up.

I can also drag a peg with them and have total confidence off road. I hope they never stop making them!

S
  16. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    The fastest bike on the road I encountered EVER, and most lean angle
    that I've ever seen someone do was this couple on a R1150GS Adventure
    with that bicycle-like front tire. Like it's not enough that the rider is dragging
    his ear in the corner, he's even got a passenger. Yeah, he's an idiot for doing
    it on the street but I was SHOCKED.

Too bad I was on my 28hp scoot when this happened, I would definitely try
    to chase him down on my ninja 650 or fz6, just to see if I can, but even if
    those 2 should be faster, I just don't have the skills or the balls.
  17. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had good luck with Anakee 3's on my Wee.

On the Bonne SE, RoadAttack up front and TrailAttack on back.

NFE
  18. Old Git Ray

Old Git Ray Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer:
    UK based, Bored because I am not travelling
    It would help if we knew what type of rider you are and what you want the tyre to do. If you are purely looking for a tyre to last forever, the K60s are the ones. Unfortunately they are rubbish in the wet, they are noisy and they vibrate. They also have a weird vibration/noise, (additionally) when they start to wear, on cornering.

But, I have just got 17,000m out of mine (it is now completely f**ked) on an S10 whilst carrying 300kg. I was 2 up so was not interested in scratching but I am now home and will be putting more conventional tyres on. The K60s are a hard tyre and are designed for long distance touring, not power/cornering performance.
  19. modd

modd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mitas e07 Dakar? Just installed a pair on my v strom still way to cold to go riding but I must say the tires look great.Any high mileage reports on these tires?Thanks
  20. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    Hated the K 60's.
    Love the Mitas e07's
    non-Dakar's for me, really stiff sidewalls on the Dakar.