Some advice please

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by zimzooma, Oct 31, 2012.

1. zimzooma

zimzooma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's starting to get cold here in the northeast and I need some time away. In the next month or so I will take a couple weeks off. I would like to spend some time camping and riding in the desert. What I'm looking for is any advice on some areas to check out. What is nice this time of year? Where is good to set up base and ride from? I would like to return to camp every night.
    Your advice is greatly appreciated.
  2. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    There are lots of really awesome places to go, but I'm really partial to the Anza Borrego area. There is a really nice little resort in Borrego Springs which you can make your base of operations - out for a couple days, back to the resort for a shower and some margaritas in the hot tub.

If you're middle-aged and creaky like me, that hot tub is a beautiful thing!

It's less than 2 hours east of San Diego, and it's within half a day of Mojave and most of a day to Death Valley.
  3. Eyes Shut

Eyes Shut See no evil Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A second vote for Anza- Borrego. The campground at Borrego Palm Canyon has nice bathrooms and showers (bring your quarters for the showers!)

Death Valley, of course, is another great place. You can camp at several places within the park. Panamint Springs Resort has camping, motel rooms, a small restaurant, and a fine selection of beers.
    http://www.panamintsprings.com/
  4. Mr B

Mr B Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Grand Junction Colorado easier to get to or.....Moab! This time of year can be really nice or it can start snowing, which it might have already!
  5. junglemototours

junglemototours trailplug

Oddometer:
    Couple weeks? You haul your stuff? Doesn't give much time with the drive each way.......might be better to fly and rent?
    We need details.:deal
  6. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    I'll third Borrego Springs, love that area, great base.

If your'e up to it Baja is nice and inexpensive.

Joshua Tree is nice. No showers in the park though.
  7. zimzooma

zimzooma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll have to drive. It would be just to expensive any other way. I think I can get about 18-19 days off. Should be plenty of time.
    Thanks for the leads. Looks promising. I'll most likely bring my 500exc. I would love to bring my 450SX-F but it's not plated.
    Baja would be great but leave the country is a pain.
  8. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    Depending on how you come out (what route) a loop through Death Valley would also be good this time of year. Staying at Furnace creek allows you the comforts of a resort like atmosphere and you can still camp. More rustic but still with alot of good riding is Panamint Spring on the western side outside of DV.

If you go over thanksgiving go there and they will feed you for free, just make a small donation.
  9. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Furnace Creek in Death Valley is nice this time of year. You can probably see everything in 3-4 days, though. If you go, check out the underground tour at Scotty's Castle. The above ground is interesting too.

I think Moab would be good too. I went in July, and it was really hot and humid. There are weeks worth of trails there.
  10. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode through the newly revamped Furnace Creek Campground in Death Valley last weekend. It's been totally revamped for the Diesel Bus RV crowd... Too bad it's not rustic like it used to be.

There is still tent camping, but now you park in a "space" and have to walk into your campsite area. I'm sure if you rode your bike over to the tent they'd have a conniption fit... They've also removed a number of the trees which of course provide needed shade. Also watch for pitching your tent in a low spot. It looks like all the new asphalt has created even more flooding potential for campers.
  11. jarthur

jarthur Old Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    The Black Rock Desert in northwestern Nevada is pretty awesome. Check out Soldier Meadows Ranch ( more info on its web site). Just have to pay attention to the weather for any snow in the higher valleys or passes.

Riding in the southern part of Ca. probably is best this time of year. Also check out Tecopa Hot Springs area, China Ranch (the date farm), and Dumont Dunes.