Christini AWD 450 DS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bike Nomad, Oct 24, 2011.

1. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Definitely larger than 28, but I measure only 35mm?
  2. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is odd, since it is supposed to be "50 state street legal"?!
  3. njsurferlarry

njsurferlarry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i think its actually legal in 49 states. and it is on the m.i.d. list for the nhsta. just new jersey motor vehicle hasnt put it on there list yet. hopefully today the only person who updates the motorcycle approval list will be in today. i got my fingers crossed but i aint gonna hold my breath.
  4. njsurferlarry

njsurferlarry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    got the carb out and on the bench. forgot to measure it though. the carb is very light weight. lol. it has a plastic slide. not really looking good inside. i did a very slight opening on the holes on it. not really much there to work with. the needle is snapped into place. so shimming aint gonna happen. i had a slightly softer spring and it seems to work good. took the bowl off and that has to be the worst fitting gasket down there. stuck the gasket in the freezer to get it to contract for installed. as for jetting. it had a 140 in it. went through my drawer full of jets. after lots of labor and playing around i left in the 150 dynojet jet in. it seems to be alot more responsive and runs so much smoother. that carb will have a very short life on there. working on getting that air pump valve thingy off next. when i had that hooked up it would just let the bike run a little like shit. bypassed it and so much better.
  5. BaronVonDarrin

BaronVonDarrin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Philadelphia, and at times Western Maryland
    Hey I know this was from a bit ago but I just wanted to say I officially am raising my hand to offer my bike as the guinea pig for that endeavor if you ever decide to do it. :evil
  6. njsurferlarry

njsurferlarry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    tomorrow i could get it registered. the lady i talk to got all the paperwork in order and is now on the new jersey approved motorcycle list. finall i could take it down the road to get this thing fine tuned in.
  7. X1Glider

X1Glider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Slight opening on the holes? As there's normally a blind hole or 2 or 3 on a slide, I'm guessing you were lightening the slide so it rises quicker. Good thing.

Unfortunately with a CV, cracking the throttle open means dumping in some fuel quicker than a heavy slide can open. Without appropriate intake air velocity, the heaviness of the fuel droplets means the fuel rushes into the ports slower and actually doesn't atomize properly. You not only get an incomplete burn but a rich condition which is the bog no one wants. Possible to get backfiring through the carb at low rpms and especially on throttle closing. So, if there's a backfire screen in the airbox, leave it in.

When you get around to it, switching to the FCR means you'll need at least new intake boots and possibly new throttle cables. If you never leave NJ, you'll never miss the altitude compensating benefit of a CV.
  8. njsurferlarry

njsurferlarry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    got no backfiring on the carb. and lightening up that slide did make a large improvement. that plastic slide doesnt move up that great and that slight adjustment did help big time. and that air valve on the motor does take a bit of the vacuum that helps a quicker smoother operation. there are so many different carbs out there. im looking for a decent good all round carb. not just one for balls out performance. im sure i will figure something that would be a happy medium. makes me wish i held on to carbs i had. i had a mikuni vm carb i think would make this thing run great. smooth running for relaxing riding with some good performance to get a little crazy. as it is now. im gonna start working on an idea tonight for a carb other than the fcr.
  9. Wadester

Wadester Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer:
    If you're going to all that trouble, perhaps consider this:

http://www.ecotrons.com/400cc_to_800cc_Engine_EFI_kit.html
    [​IMG]
  10. X1Glider

X1Glider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe Ash said they have a pre-packaged smog block-off kit for sale. I did it on the Honda and it amazing how that simple mod made it perform better.
  11. X1Glider

X1Glider Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I could only determine if there's enough room to fit that EFI kit...

One thing that has pissed me off about Honda has been its lack of interest in developing the 450X. It really isn't any different than the 2005 model except for BNG, a steering damper and revised 3rd gear. It should have been EFI by now as the R model has had it for 4 years already.

I was going to have a KTM 350 EXC this year but KTM isn't delivering them in favor of the 500. I was looking forward to EFI. But then I saw an ad somewhere for Christini, who I'd completely forgotten about, and said "fuck it...I'll try something unusual."
  12. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You only need the intake boot, the airbox boot fits the FCR just fine. You will need either cables to fit the Christini throttle housing (larger thread) or just use a CRF throttle and cables like I did. Then you'll need a separate starter button, like the CRF450X one.
  13. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree, but I am pretty sure the only reason Honda gave Asia Wing (Christini) the rights to the current 450X is than Honda has an all new one in the wings?
  14. BMW_BIKER_KEITH

BMW_BIKER_KEITH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. Dyno

Dyno Conquistador

Oddometer:
    I wonder if this is somehow related?

"450cc 4-Valve, OHC, liquid cooled and is currently carbureted in EPA and EEC trim. We are working now on our EFI system with our US partner."

Cleveland Cyclewerks 450x with possible EFI
  16. BENRON

BENRON Crosscut Certified

Oddometer:
    Thanks to the EPA and CARB, releasing a bike (or any gasoline powered equipment really) with any alterations to the fuel system is a major undertaking.

Sincerely, an engineer with a company that's responsible for altering fuel systems on gasoline powered equipment.
  17. njsurferlarry

njsurferlarry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    that block of kit. is it just a plug and plate? i was going to take it off and just weld the pipe solid. not a good idea? and im still working on a good carb the would fit with little to no mods. so many good carbs on the market.
  18. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just used a couple of caps/plugs and cut off the metal line coming out of the head and filled the end with JB Weld.
  19. BMW_BIKER_KEITH

BMW_BIKER_KEITH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking at the Christini web site, the 450DS has a seat height on 37.8 inches. Really? That seems VERY tall if accurate. Are there any new 450DS owners here that can comment? I have a 34" inseam, and can nearly flat-foot my 2010 F800GS which is rather tall...

One more concern: When buying a new 450DS, there's only a 30 day warranty on the engine. That warranty concerns me, especialy for a bike that's labelled as street legal. What's everyone's opinion? It's a Honda engine, right?
  20. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    No it is not a Honda engine. The bottom end is a very close copy, maybe interchangeable. But the valve train is different...it's not a UniCam design.