For Winnipeg and the surrounding area!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by BOBMUNZ, Jun 6, 2009.

1. GermanPickle

GermanPickle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ohh.. I'm sooo sorry... Shameless video plug.. I work on the carb without taking out of the bike...
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SPQQpfnActw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  2. Hektoglider

Hektoglider One with Life

Oddometer:
    No I didn't mean it that way. I can't see many videos on the iPod for some reason, when they are posted into the threads. All I meant by it was I wasn't sure if the video shows the repair with the carb removed or still on the bike.
  3. Hektoglider

Oddometer:
    I know there are far smarter people here than me such as Piffle, and others.

I at one time wanted to be an aircraft tech but I tend to forget stuff like tightening all the bolts or installing things backwards, so maybe it was a good idea to stay away from the planes
  4. KamikazeKLR

KamikazeKLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Probably.

So after sleeping on it and having a fresh start this morning, all the bike's symptoms point to a carb issue, but more specifically the float bowl being stuck open like many of you suggested. I'll pull the carb (just easier to take a look inside when it's off the bike) and will let you guys know what I find.

Besides that, I still need to do an oil change, can anybody recommend a good synthetic oil?

I also need to ask where to get a new air filter and air filter oil
  5. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:

Mel is trying to start the Oil Debate, again... I vote Castrol 10/40 from Walmart. Cheap and good...recommended by BMW.

Mineral or Synthetic $$$$.... They all get changed at the same time !

Good to hear you made it home last nite Mel. Don't forget to display your CAA Plus Sticker on the Panniers.
  6. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
  7. KamikazeKLR

Oddometer:
    Yes! I love starting debates! Let's talk about tires after!

Is that a real thing? Do people normally do that or are you trying to make me look funny..
  8. KamikazeKLR

Oddometer:
    Perfect. I have a Cdn Tire close to my place. I'll swing by and get a new air filter. I could probably save the old one, but what the heck. might as well get a fresh clean one. HOWEVER - when I went to one of the first tech days after meeting all of you, there was a discussion on air filters, saying either the K&N or the Uni filter was horrible and that you were almost better off using the stock filter. I can't remember which one it was. Does it really matter that much?
  9. humvee

humvee Long timer

Oddometer:
    CDN tire will just have the oil filter, not the air filter. Mine is 15 years old...they last a long time.

The dealer or online is where you can get a replacement.
  10. Lappeman

Lappeman He's Down Again!

Oddometer:
    Use the stock one, clean it with Kerosene, maybe a couple of times depending on how dirty it is especially after a dusty ride, cleans up nicely. Let it dry, then oil it with a air filter oil and squeeze as much as you can out, don't wring it just squeeze, important that you don't leave it on thick but still get it everywhere on the filter. You just want a light coat when done, let dry a bit. Put some white lithium grease around the seat part of the filter (where it sits on the air box) and most importantly, make sure that the filter is seated all the way around and the basket isn't hung up anywhere leaving a gap. Dust and other crap getting thru will kill your engine quickly...as in rebuild :cry
  11. PiffleMaster

PiffleMaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry I haven't been around to help out with the KLR issues, but it sounds like things are under control.
    Currently working at St Andrews, but will be available next week if needed.
    Cheers, Brian
  12. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    Well, the DR is up and running.
    Lyle
  13. Lappeman

Oddometer:
    Ktm 530's battery appears too weak to start the brute, so on the charger it goes! Doesn't seem to matter anyway, as the temps are dropping again and crappy weather seems to be the norm for the next 5 days or so...when does it end? :huh

Ktm 300 started second kick, 2 strokes gotta love them! Just need a place to ride it now.
  14. Hektoglider

Oddometer:
    Air filter: I used the product No-Toil on my stock KLR air filter. Maybe the water was too hot, but the end result was the glue holding the foam components together seperated and the filter needed to be replaced. I liked the No-Toil product but no longer use it. Switched back to oil and kerosene
  15. KamikazeKLR

Oddometer:
    Nice, Lyle! Giv'er a go. Those 5 mins I was able to ride yesterday were fantastic.

Update...

- Oil changed (met another biker at Cdn Tire, he rides a beemer and suggested I use Castrol GTX or whatever it is, 10W40.
    - Air filter cleaned, dried, lubed & reinstalled.
    - Air box drained
    - Carb out!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My bike is peeing! Don't look, you perverts!
    [​IMG]
  16. Lappeman

Oddometer:
    Mel, is your rear brake pedal actually making contact with the case? If it is, is could cause a wear issue and should be adjusted so it's not touching. It looks a little high :huh
  17. KamikazeKLR

Oddometer:
    Nope, it's actually fine. I don't know why there are scratch mark there, but it doesn't rub. it could have been doing that before and the previous owner rectified the problem.

ALSO.....

Guess what I just found in my carb.
    an ant.
    an ant? Yes, an ant. I found a small creature inside my carb hahahahahaha:rofl

Do you guys think I should keep disassembling my carb or do you think i'm good?
  18. Hektoglider

Oddometer:
    How grubby does it look? If its spotless I say reassemble. The ant is your problem. I have found cellophane like from a cig pack, flecks of paint( almost match head size) and other crunchy gunk. I bet its fine when you start it again. It would not hurt to pop the jets out and inspect the small feeder holes on the flue. Your into it. Carefull not to strip the brass, correct size tool before applying torque.
    When the jets are out. Hold them up to the light and inspect the orofice . A good way to gently clean them is take a wire brush, remove one strand of wire from said brush and utilize that wire to carefully open any clogged feeder holes or jet orofice
  19. KamikazeKLR

Oddometer:
    Hi, Hekto,

I should a small amount of sand-type stuff in the bottom of the float bowl and i think it's from the sandblasting job i had done on the tank.

I am going to clean it out with carb cleaner but the rest of the carb looks just fine. ill clean as much as I can.
    I want to also put in an inline fuel filter from the fuel tank to the carb in case there's anything else in the tank so it doesn't go back in there and into my engine.
  20. Mark-II

Mark-II Turn The Gas On

Oddometer:
    Just got home from picking up the GS, going to Costco, running out to the perimeter, to headingley, back down roblin to shafetesbury to grant to home.

No more buyers remorse :D

Lovely tractable engine, bags of power without being scary, nice tranny, great ergos.

I think the grin is frozen on my face.

I even got it dirty

I was going to ride to the CMMG meeting tonight at griffin trikes, but I think I've had my fun for the day