Yamaha xt350/400 hybrid!!

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by MILLENNIUM FALCON, Feb 21, 2012.

1. MILLENNIUM FALCON

MILLENNIUM FALCON Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put that there to keep my knob from getting broken off. I'm not sure if it is necessary, but it will at least keep it from getting packed with mud. I might change/remove that design.....not sure yet.

2. Packer

Packer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scotland, wonderful biking when it's dry (rarely)
    You have some serious skills there MF! An interesting and good looking project.

One question though, what is your reasoning behind putting the rear sub subframe brace tubes so high on the main frame loops? I'd worry that if the bike somersaulted and landed on the tail it will bend the main frame. I would have taken them down to the curve by the swing arm mounts. That would brace the swing arm mounting area and also give you a convenient tube to attach the rear brake master cylinder. A bit more tube weight right enough.
  3. MILLENNIUM FALCON

Oddometer:
    Thanks man, i was thinking about adding a plate for bracing but I'm not sure yet. I built it the way I did for the exhaust positioning and looks lol. I wanted a really open sub frame. I'm not building this bike for extreme off roading so If I flip it end over end I've got bigger problems hhaha. I hope I don't flop it

4. MILLENNIUM FALCON

Oddometer:
    Got these little babies today, I found it slightly odd that there was a bottle of 5 hour energy shipped in the box with my pipe. I bet they are telling me to chug it and pull an all nighter in the garage. haha hopefully I will get some time to work on the exhaust this weekend.[​IMG]
  5. BRE

BRE Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stainless steel or mild steel, either should work. Mild steel alot easier to work with, stainless has it's obvious advantages.
  6. MILLENNIUM FALCON

Oddometer:
    its just mild steel. its going to get high temp paint and then wrapped. i wish it was SS
  7. MILLENNIUM FALCON

Oddometer:
    Did some work today on the exhaust. It almost done. I have a guy that is going to help me bend my exhaust and make the pieces I need to finish hooking up the mufflers. They will tuck behind the frame (near the rear shock). I am really happy with the way it is turning out. I drilled the welds and removed the collars that were on the stock headers and welded them unto the new headers they fit perfectly. This allows me to use the sock gaskets, collars and flanges to attach the exhaust. I think it looks pretty sweet, if I do say so myself.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]tain_neto/DSC_0216.jpg[/IMG][​IMG]
  8. MILLENNIUM FALCON

Oddometer:
  9. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like that exhaust, it looks cool as hell. Those twin cans look sweet, you gotta post a video when it's done man! Good luck on her.:clap
  10. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used the crf cans on my ktm, have you done anything about the problen that the right muffler is more restictive than the left?

I ended up buying two lefts and swaping the ends on one so that the mounts where a mirror image. (does that make sense)
  11. MILLENNIUM FALCON

Oddometer:
    Yeah that makes sense, I made a restrictor plate so that both sides are the same ID as the smaller can. I realize this doesn't make sense from a performance stand point but, I would rather have a properly tuned bike than an extra 1/3 HP.

12. MILLENNIUM FALCON

Oddometer:
  13. MILLENNIUM FALCON

Oddometer:
    Another problem I am having is that I have two xt350 fuel tanks with the gas caps locked. Any idea of how I can get them off. I have several Yamaha keys but none of them work. Does anyone know of an aftermarket cap that will work. Oem caps cost more than what I payed for the bike. Thanks
  14. Fakenstein

Fakenstein Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    air filter froma pitbike? something like this?
    [​IMG]
  15. MILLENNIUM FALCON

Oddometer:
    Well I got some wiring sorted out and finished my lighting in the rear. I am still working on the air cleaner setup. I also got tired of trying to pick the lock on my gas cap....so I drilled the lock mutilating everything in and around the keyhole. I got the cap off though. I decided to make my own "custom" cap so I fired up the lathe. I like seeing chips it means I am actually getting something done. The cap is still in the rough. I have some more work to do to it, but you get the idea.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  16. MILLENNIUM FALCON

Oddometer:
    i will have to look into that

17. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    its looking good mate but could you please press enter between each photo link you put in your post.
  18. MILLENNIUM FALCON

Oddometer:
    sure. it looked fine on my display so i was un aware. gas cap done! (minus the vent)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That looks great, you really set the bar high for the rest of the bike!:clap

I think you can use a couple of these!:freaky
  20. MILLENNIUM FALCON

Oddometer:
    I know this isn't the idea setup for off road use but, i'm just throwing around ideas.......i'm running out of them, and my exhaust is beginning to sweat like a turkey does the day before thanksgiving.

[​IMG]