2014 Yamaha Triple: FZ-09 / MT-09

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Paulvt1, May 31, 2013.

1. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Be a better balance of light(er) weight and useable power, at all revs, for a cheaper price, and probably at better fuel economy. Better performance and economy, at a better value. If it plays out as expected, I'm in for a couple of 'em. Different models (to come), of course.
  2. DFH

DFH 270 deg crank

Oddometer:
    Never ridden a FZ8, but I have ridden a FZ1 & a Triumph Streed Triple R. As the FZ8 is basically a sleeved FZ1 I suspect the two are similar, except I understand the FZ8 has a lighter crank than the FZ1 so it spins up quicker & is smoother to boot. Of course it looses the FZ1's top end stomp.

The difference in weight between the FZ platform & Street Triple is profound on the road. The Triumph delicate & precise, the FZ1 bulky & clumsy. The old saying that extra engine you only notice every now & then, but extra chassis you notice every ride couldn't be truer.

Ergonomically the physically smaller Triumph is as roomy as the FZ1 with the added advantage of not splaying the riders legs uncomfortably wide like the 4 cylinder Yamaha does. Additionally to its packaging advantage don't discount the triple engines smoother running, flatter torque curve & visceral sound advantage over the peaky, buzzy & bland FZ1 four. As for he the FZ1's heat soak?

So the MT-09/FZ09 addresses all of the negatives of the FZ08/09 on paper, time will tell if they have hit the target of the Street Triple in the real world.
  3. Tripl Nikl

Tripl Nikl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Other than the blurple wheels and the need for a FEK, there's nothing that I don't like about that bike. I've been drooling over a CB1100 lately (a lot!), but I'm thinking that the overall value is a lot better with this bike. I can't wait to see one in real life.
  4. p0diabl0

p0diabl0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you see the tail? Man that thing is disgusting. Even chopping off the fender the brake light looks so out of place. I'm not one for pretty bikes usually but damn :lol3.
  5. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    Tail tidies will probably be sold for almost every FZ/MT's purchased. The Plate area looks like an after thought, not a styled portion of an otherwise nice looking motorcycle...tp dd50
  6. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    I bet I know where..
    P.B.
  7. versysrider

versysrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My thoughts exactly. I thought I was done buying new bikes (depreciation), and I just built this over the winter, and sold both my Street Triple R's, and Yamaha wakes up and bring this out. So now I am first in line for one at my local dealer that I bought my quads from last year. Here's a pic of this winters build. She's a fun little bitch, plenty of power for the street, good pull out of corners. Between losing the bodywork, and the Leo Vince exhaust she lost 30lbs. The zx6r front end and Penske shock really woke up the chassis.
    [​IMG]
    Yamaha is also bringing out a new parallel twin to fit in with this new family of engines. I hope they put it in a 'tard, as I just sold mine a couple weeks ago. I may need to buy a couple of these new Yamaha's. Here's a link to that. http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2013/07/new-yamaha-crossplane-twin-revealed-at-japanese-meeting/

Thanks again Yamaha for finally waking up, looks like a good year for those of us not interested in cruisers, or supersports.
  8. tokyo

tokyo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just FYI, the guy in the video says things like:

"Wow, it's very slim, and my feet are firmly planted. The handlebar position feels similar to a motocross bike... Yes I'm pretty sure it's telling me to wheelie. It sounds like a Triumph of course.. Being a triple and all. I like it, can't wait to ride it for real."

Which reminds me, Japan domestic market is also excited about this bike, so Yamaha has enthusiasts in Asia, Europe and the US to market to. If they can Keep the prices as noted, the business case is probably pretty good.

The world wide reliable, reasonably priced enthusiast brand.
  9. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    I'll be interested to see which, if any, other Japanese brand follows suit and also brings out a triple. Is a trend in the works?
  10. desmoface

desmoface Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :eek1 Dude that thing is sick..Awesome job.

Steve
    05 ST3

11. versysrider

versysrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. desmoface

Oddometer:
  13. Scot

Scot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a deposit on one. I also love the smiths
  14. desmoface

Oddometer:
  15. capriccio

capriccio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good looking and sounding bike. This will be a big seller, light, agile and powerful. The funny on this bike is the LCD display off center to the right, I guess that's the Japonese way of non conformity. I hope they allow for versatility, with luggage and accessories for travel(I'm tired of the touring and adventuring). All motorcycle sold should have attachments points for panniers and top boxes, and if I'm elected president, dictator or king, it will be the first order of business along with banning the words "touring and adventure". People could only refer to them as the "T-word and A-word".
  16. Scot

Scot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ort!
  17. Blueshark

Blueshark Coastal Castaway

Oddometer:
    Last small beach town N of LA, S of Pt Conception
    As someone observed earlier, putting the LCD off center to the right leaves room on the left for a GPS. Sweet bike, looking forward to the 1/2-faired version.
  18. thisisbenji

thisisbenji Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree! That rear end is horrible. I still have the fender on my FZ6, I don't find it to be intrusive at all. They should really find a way to go back to a smaller fender.

[​IMG]

:rofl That was my thinking as well, damn student loans.
  19. Super Sneaky Steve

Super Sneaky Steve B@nned Club :D

Oddometer:
    Oooo new twin in the works hu? Well, I'm not going to buy anything till I know more about it.
  20. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    that's a good question. I think it accomplishes a couple of things - 1) it put's some space between Yamaha's offering in this market segment and what the other Japanese manufacturers are offering, and 2) it moves their product closer to what Triumph is doing, apparently they want a piece of that pie.

I can't see any real advantage to this bike versys the FZ8.