Back on the Orange team

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Chuck az, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Chuck az

Chuck az Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After a 4 year stint with BMW I am back with the bike I have wanted for 5 years.

2008 990 ADV

I found one locally that was well sorted out and not too many add on's but just the right ones. Being 6'9" this bike is as perfect of a fit as a bike gets. I do not have too much off road experience but I plan on taking baby steps with the local trails around Phoenix and some forest roads up north.

Love the power in this thing!
  2. zgfiredude

zgfiredude Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome back! :clap
  3. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures

Oddometer:
    Yeah, they don't make too many bikes that fit tall people really well. Although I'm only a meager 6'4", this bike still fits pretty much perfectly. Glad to have you back!
  4. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Welcome home, man!
  5. Englishmatt

Englishmatt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup...about to come back home. Had a 990, loved it but got rid of it for a new 2010 GS Adventure (for fuel distance and long distance comfort reasons). After two trips to Alaska with failed final drives, failed rear main seal, new clutch, failed fuel strips...to name a few...I'm over it.

As soon as the 1190 adv is available in the US, I will be back on team orange.

sent from my roaming gnome device.
  6. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    Awesome.
    I just joined the orange team after almost 9 years on the GS Adventure.
  7. smj

smj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did the BMW ride for about a year... F800GS. I suppose I could say several things about the why behind it, but I bought a 2012 990 R. I am 6'4" and often wish the peg to saddle distance a bit more, but over-all have been very pleased with the 990. I was offered to take a ride on a BMW 1200 GSA a couple days ago - so we swapped bikes for a few miles... I still like the 990 best!

Welcome back to orange!
  8. Chuck az

Chuck az Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't get me wrong, BMW's have their place and are very nice machines but I really like the ability to throw the bike around as compared to the top heavy GS. I will be getting my wife a BMW 650 or 700 soon and I like the feeling of those bikes for a shorter person.

Chuck
  9. zgfiredude

zgfiredude Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chuck,

I bought an F650GS '07, for my wife. She is only about 5'3" on a good day, and with the ease and symplicity of lowering these bikes we were able to find a "happy" place. Suspension is down 1", and I shaved a little out of the seat. She is able to flat foot at stops and is really enjoying our trips together!

It's a great choice for the vertically challenged, and I am jealous of her fuel mileage!! :rofl