Rally Diabolico

Discussion in 'Racing' started by HogWild, Oct 9, 2013.

1. LC4Dakar

LC4Dakar Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    What, a Pepsi bottle isn't good enough for you? :D
  2. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am in !!!:clap

What type of gas range is needed?

I do have a few tanks I will be selling send me a P M
  3. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    i am hoping 5 gallons will do it... will have to commit to a tank in the very near future as well.

:ear
  4. Super Dave Hawaii

Super Dave Hawaii Ain't Dead Yet!

Oddometer:
    Two one gallon milk bottles and a 3 gallon gas tank should do fine!
    :freaky
  5. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    The current plan is what's on the Details page on the website (155mi).

I'm looking at the possibility of adding "on the clock" gas stops to accommodate those who don't have rally-ready bikes. I'd rather not do that because it gets away from the autonomous nature of rally. But I also don't want to loose entries because of gas. If we are able to add gas stops, it would end up being 3 gas stops total for those who need it. One at roughly 85 miles (on the clock), one at half way point (15min mandatory stop for all motos), and one 85 miles from the finish (on the clock). This would be the case for two stages. I'll be talking to Darren about this when he gets back from Dakar in a couple of days, and I'll post what we decide to do.

Fortunately, Diabolico will have none of this!
    [​IMG]
  6. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    From the web site:

Gas Range

More is better

We have yet to finalize the routes for each stage, but we can give you an idea how it's looking as of right now (end of October). The longest stage may be approximately 220 miles (350km). We have plans to have a moto/quad mandatory "neutralized" 15 minute gas stop at approximately the half-way point. So, motos/quads need a gas range of something over 110 miles (177km). BUT, parts of each stage are in dunes, which require far more gas than normal. So, we feel you should have a standard gas range of at least 155 miles (250km) in order to make it 110 miles with some dunes and small navigation errors. As the routes are refined over the coming months, we'll update this gas range notice. So be sure to check back in here to see what the latest news is.

We expect 155 mile range may be more than some motos/quads can make. We're considering additional gas stops "on the clock" for those who can't make 155 miles.

For reference, Dakar moto/quad rules require 250km plus 20% range, which is 186 miles (300km).

UTV's, cars, and trucks, should be prepared to go the full length of the longest stage on one tank of gas. Considering the dunes, that means you should have a range of at least 310 miles. We expect that may be too far for some of you, so we're working on a plan to allow a mid-stage gas stop for you. This would not be a place where your crew would pit you. It would be manned by Diabolico personnel only, and race crews would not be allowed in the area. Since this is a standard cross-country rally, mid-stage pitting by crew is not allowed at all.
  7. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    You're going the wrong way.
  8. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    They dont let us carry a hip flask in the US rallies :D
  9. Super Dave Hawaii

Super Dave Hawaii Ain't Dead Yet!

Oddometer:
  10. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Non of my business but I'd make folks buy a larger tank. A couple grand to enter plus travel plus plus...a large tank shouldn't be a deal buster.

Wish I could attend, hope everyone has a fun race
  11. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    yeah, its just which larger tank, is the question. Will a grand do it, or do I need to double that and get teh exhaust and seat that only fit the big tank, too?
  12. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know you'd prefer the rear set up but with the Safari front tank you'll only need to slightly modify the stock seat.
  13. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    And also do I need to add the 1.2L rear safari or a Rotopax to the tail? Really rather not carry a half a gallon in my backpack :D Worst case I've heard people get on this bike in the worst of conditions is 25 mpg. Jack Splash got 50 miles off a stock tank at RWV, and Aphillips was getting 35 at sandblast. Like I said, thats the worst reported mileage so far.

Got one other avenue to check, but I'm almost positive that the front tank alone is where this is headed. Should know by the end of the week.. and should have the tank by the end of the following week I hope.

Forks going out to FastBike by the end of this week.
  14. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How big is the stock tank? I ran out of fuel in pure soft sand riding at ~52 miles on the X.

Andrew's 35 per tank? I don't think it could be that bad.
  15. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  16. Stagehand

Oddometer:

its just under 2 gallon, like 1.9 or somthing ridiculous. the SAfari is 3.2, so together its pretty close to five. In low power, and at Jim's place up in Albany, we routinely get 90 miles out of the two gallons.. but its all lugging at 20-30 mph kinda endure stuff. Blip, brap, burp. Never sustained.
  17. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you won't see that economy at rally pace and in the dunes. Didn't realize the stock tank was so small. 25 mpg is a safe estimate for sand. The Husky varies from 55mpg on liaison type riding, 35 on rally type roads/speeds and 25 in sand.
  18. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Cool- SO the plan is to do tires/mousses new for the rally-

New tank

get the forks serviced, maybe a spring update.

service the steering head bearings while the forks are off.

move the nav gear from the baja bike over to this one

gear back up to 14/48

replace or repair the little hole in the clutch cover made by the brake lever

replace the wheel bearings prophylactically. The pivot bearings will probably just get a lot of cleaning and grease. Maybe a replacement we'll see.

New chain.

check the valves

new Shorai

Test everythign at Sandblast.

spare brake and clutch levers, top and bottom... spare cooling fan

spare filters, and spare plastic oil drain bits, spare battery

spare injectors?

ah shit, I have to put the facking blinkers on for Sandblast, rofl

Other than that, four days in the sand with good company? whats not to like?
  19. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    If I am to go and join in the fun I either need to setup my 450 berg or put my 690 all back together. The 690 is the easier choice of the two but I have a bit of work to finish the carb conversion and prove everything out.
  20. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    Entries are supposed to open today, but we have a slight delay. Darren's return from Dakar has been delayed, and I can't open entries until he's back. So, please hang in there and I'll get entries opened as soon as I can. It could even be late today depending on how things go.