Pyndon in San Francisco, Friday, April 5th

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by dpifko, Feb 14, 2013.

1. dpifko

dpifko Can u smell the It's Its?

Oddometer:
    For everyone in the SF Bay Area, now's your chance to say congrats, hi and "how the hell did you do that" to Pyndon.

If you've ever thought about doing the Baja, other rallies, or even the Dakar, come hear Lyndon Poskitt and Dave Peckham talk. An ADVRider regular (Pyndon), this aerospace engineer from the UK spent years doing increasingly difficult rallies (including the Baja 100) until he could compete in the big one. This year, in his first time out, he not only finished the race, but placed a respectable 46th. All of that in spite of a serious crash and a lower fork that split in two and that he fixed with zip ties and JB Weld. He sounds like a bright guy and an entertaining speaker, so come check it out.

I'm lending a hand to Pyndon in organizing the San Francisco stop on his US tour (he's also stopping in Colorado and on the East Coast). He's going to be talking and showing cool pics and video at the new Piston & Chain Motorcycle Club in SF. If his Rally Raidio call-ins are any indication, it'll be an awesomely fun and informative session.

Dave Peckham from
    Rally Management Services is also going to be there in case some of you want to take the next step in training.

NEW: GET YOUR SPOT NOW - CLICK HERE

Date: Friday, April 5th
    Time: 7:00-10:15 p.m.-ish. Talk will start no later than 7:15.
    Location: Piston & Chain Motorcycle Club, 1285 Folsom St., San Francisco, CA

Map: http://goo.gl/maps/PNHWa – yes, it's been converted into a real motorcycle club. See http://pistonandchain.com/
    Cost: $20
    Maximum number of people: TBD, but in the 100-125 range.

We expect to have a full house, and we'd really appreciate an advance head count for planning chairs and snacks, so please get your tix now.

GET YOUR SPOT NOW - CLICK HERE

Pyndon is trying to recover some of his Dakar costs and the cost of his trip over here, so we'll help him out by charging $20 (reduced from $25). If he can bring some gear we'll hold a raffle too.

For the .00001% of you who haven't heard of Pyndon, he's an ADVrider regular who:

• Mortgaged it big time, and spent years building up his skills going to the Baja 1000 and others
    • Finished (FINISHED!) the 2013 Dakar, as a privateer, without factory sponsorship
    • Placed in 46th position overall
    • Placed 9th in one stage, the highest ranking by a Brit in 13 years
    • Did all of this on his own bike, with his father as his mechanic and star of his support team
    • 1700 posts worth of background at http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=777301

[​IMG]

Looking forward to seeing you there,

Daniel

:dealGET YOUR TICKETS - CLICK HERE :deal
  2. dpifko

Oddometer:
    I know the venue is the least of your concerns, but here's the renovated interior. Interesting view of the bikes, and it should be enough room for everyone.

[​IMG]
  3. DeepSea

DeepSea electronically challenged

Oddometer:
    Assuming my work schedule cooperates, will definitely go.

Two questions:

What's the parking situation? SF can be a bear in that regard.

Will we need to be present for the raffle? If not, I'll buy my ticket in advance and chance being able to make it.:ear

Thanks,
    Steve
  4. dpifko

Oddometer:
    Not sure yet about the parking, but I'd be willing to move it a bit later so spots are more ticket-free (and to make it easier for people to get to after work). I'll scope the area for lots. There's a ton of bike parking due to narrow slots between driveways all along Folsom.

Raffle details to follow later. Personally, I'm there for the stories :evil.

Daniel
  5. DeepSea

DeepSea electronically challenged

Oddometer:
    Good to hear. Parking (and people) keeps me out of the city for most things.

Thanks for doing this. Yes definitely there MORE for the stories. The raffle is just icing on the cake. Until I hit the lotto, work dictates my fun time.
  6. dmasters458

dmasters458 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I plan on attending.
  7. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I've got to be in Fresno that morning. That's only three hours from Fresno... :evil
  8. dpifko

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's pretty much just a warm-up liaison before you hit the special ;-).
  9. DaveRMS

DaveRMS 404 Not Found

Oddometer:
    I'm really looking forward to it, and getting to hang with Lyndon when we both don't have too much else on our minds.

Here are some snaps I took of Lyndon at the Dakar.

I should be bringing down a fully Dakar-spec'd rally bike as well.

Dave

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. dpifko

Oddometer:
    Can we raffle it off?

:rofl

We can certainly bring it in or even put it up on a lift for easier, better lit ogling.
  11. Sundog

Sundog Lost

Oddometer:
    I'll come. A few blocks from work.

Dave, did you get the bike you were talking about?
  12. DaveRMS

DaveRMS 404 Not Found

Oddometer:
    It should be collected in AZ tomorrow and on it's way!
  13. boney

boney Ride > Post

Oddometer:
    I'm interested but it's too far out to make plans.

BTW, McAfee says your site exhibits risky behavior. For all I know it's running around without a raincoat, but you may want to have a look at it.
  14. DaddyBigDaddy

DaddyBigDaddy AKA -Evel Kneilson

Oddometer:
    Liberal ShitHole, San Fran-sissyco, Kalee-Fornee-a
    I'm in!

I'd come just to check out the "club House" and may have to join! The place looks way cool!

Rode w Lyndon on a couple of KTM rally's when Scott Hardon was leading them.....he was faster on a 950A than I was on my 950SE and saw his wicked burn out at the end of the Baja 1000 a few years back

Hope my 98 620 Rally is ready by then and I can ride it over from Orinda
  15. nomad guy

nomad guy A legal alien

Oddometer:
    In
  16. LeDakaR!

LeDakaR! Banned

Oddometer:
    route66moto.com San Francisco CA/ Austin, Texas
    sounds like an awesome night, good job on the building!
    did you lease or buy?
    that remodel looks fantastic!
  17. dpifko

Oddometer:
    Yep, should be fun!

Not 100% aware of the financials, but I do know there have been several, long term improvements, e.g. new roof.

18. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Will ride up from the city of angels Thursdays, barring any delays. Any good lodging recommendations nearby?
  19. Just Paul

Just Paul Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    sounds like a great time !

IN !
  20. dpifko

Oddometer:
    Nothing you couldn't find in TripAdvisor, with a few caveats:

1. The clubhouse is quick and easy access from both 101 and downtown, so you don't really need to limit yourself to something in the immediate few blocks.

2. The area itself is pretty, em, industrial. Safe enough for our purposes, but not overly interesting for strolling out the front door of a hotel.

It'll be good to have you. Keep in touch - I'm thinking we'll go for a couple-hour ride on the Friday morning, perhaps up towards Occidental/Rio Nido.

Daniel