Drz400 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Britmick, May 4, 2007.

1. Falcon86

Falcon86 I just work here.

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'10" with a short inseam for my height (about 29'5").

At lights I normally just shift to one side so I can put one foot down pretty firm, but like stated above, it balances pretty well even like that.

The part where I feel the height the most on the DRZ is on tight/slow single track, where you wish you'd have shown up on an XT225 or trials bike. OR, on big inclines/declines offroad where stopping/slowing is difficult. But that makes up for about 2% of my riding, so I can deal with that.
  2. pmooney

pmooney Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I'm guessing they are too but figured someone here would know for sure.
  3. bkwags

bkwags Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any advice on how to mount unabiker rad guards on the DRZ. I bought a 2001 and rec'd the guards in a box with the spacer rods, no other hardware. Any tricks to mounting these properly, pics or videos appreciated.
  4. marine_mike

marine_mike Banned

Oddometer:
    Do any of you guys have a link for the step by step on removing the carb? Seems my float bowl was sticking before I put it away last year. It was dumping fuel by the airbox, and I was planning on rebuilding it.
  5. focallength

focallength Certifiable

Oddometer:
    Disconnect fuel line, undo clamps, disconnect throttle cables (mark their placement),wiggle out.

Once you do it 2 or 3 times youll learn the technique for pulling/installing it, in under a minute. One tip, use a large tire iron to bend back the airboot.
  6. Jon B.

Jon B. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I can find 'em (as in - haven't thrown 'em away), I'll scan and send them to ya'.

Not tonight, tho...

They don't install particularly easily - on the E model, anyway. The gas tank mounts are a bear. No screws with them? You need a couple of 6mm button-head screws at the inner end of the brace rods. Four in all, I suppose.

I don't recall seeing instructions on the web-site.

Jon
  7. riverrat1515

riverrat1515 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Was thinking of getting the Moose Racing Species Headlight for my street legal drz400e. Anyone had one of these. The light that the original owner put on is not worth a damn at night.
  8. Falcon86

Falcon86 I just work here.

Oddometer:
    Amazon has a great deal today, half off AC Delco AGM batteries.

They're not Shorai, but still a great price for a battery!

Got mine for less than $22 shipped. Great deal, IMO.

Here's the thread with info.
  9. RKM50

RKM50 n00b

Oddometer:
    I have a like new (meaning no rips) corbin seat off a 2004 drz400, bought new about 4 years ago and also some kouba links, drz2, which lower the bike 1.25".
    PM me if interested.
  10. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    I got a waterproof ipod case, made some brackets, and use my old android phone in it. works great.

I like:
    oruxmaps
    dualsportmaps
    and for stupid road stuff
    sygic or google nav
  11. dasvis

dasvis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PM sent on seat
  12. The Recycled Teenager

The Recycled Teenager Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am planning on my Nexus7 in such a case if I can find one, just can't think of the brand name clear waterproof boxes :cry
    I know there out there somewhere :ear
  13. Xylx

Xylx Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's not like the Unabiker instructions are any help. If you figure it out please post some photos. I gave up for now. Seemed like I would have to take off the radiators completely (and presumably drain them) in order to install the spacer rods. Seems like they could have made for an easier install. But they do look like they would be very sturdy once installed.
  14. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought it was very easy and simple to install, took, me an hour maybe, everything went on smoothly, here are some pics from when i installed them, hopefully this will be helpful to you guys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I let an old freind of mine ride my bike around the neighborhood, hes a sport bike rider, said it was like a sport bike with knobby tires :D
  15. Jon B.

Jon B. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I forgot to ask - is yours an E or an S? The installation may differ, as I see they sell two of them; one for the E/K and one for the S/SM. Mine is an E, so no cooling fan, and a different gas tank mounting scheme.

Jon
  16. outlaws

outlaws Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am using a used GPSMAP® 76Cx got it for $80 off craigslist. It's made for marine use so it's waterproof. All the maps are outdated but I am using it for tracks for offroading and for backtrack use. I haven't used it much as I have been just following people around mostly. I have been starting to record my GPS routes on it and the battery life is great, It lasts a whole weekend of couple of hours riding on 2 AA battery. It's mounted via a ram mount off amazon. It sucks for turn by turn direction on the road but I'm not riding streets. It still works with Garmin Basecamp.
  17. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    Pyle makes one, eBay or Amazon around $20
  18. bkwags

bkwags Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pics. Very helpful!!! I did get them mounted and agree they appear very robust. One thing I did was to put hex bolts on the inside support rods so that I did not have to take off the hoses to tighten the bolts. I put button head hexs as shown on the outside. It took me a bit longer as I needed to do a bit of black smithing on the covers themselves and clean up the radiator mounting bolts and area.

Also, when I was pulling the fuel hose off the tank I managed to pull out the hose tube (cathader) from the petcock. (No further comments please, my eyes are watering already). Anyway, was thinking of pushing it back in with a little epoxy to hold it. Any thoughts on that.

19. gots_a_sol

gots_a_sol Long timer

Oddometer:

If you want to be baller, the Montana series is quite nice. Not really in the $150 range though :rofl

It is very versatile with the different user programmable profiles (I bounce between profiles set up for my truck, street riding, and off road with different map selections and whatnot)

You can see it on the bars here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. wyostrom

wyostrom Better be ready Supporter

Oddometer:
    I could use some insight or opinions. The other day after a carb flooding mishap with my DR3550 which resulted in some swearing etc, my wife suggested just buying a new bike. I ride an 06 Vstrom(DL650) for most of my ADV touring but like the 350 for riding in the dirt. My question is would I be that much happier with a new DRZ400(I realize it's hard to beat a new bike) over just staying with my 350? Money isn't really an issue in the decision. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Also, the local dealer has a good price on a DR650 which doesn't seem all that much lighter than my DL650.
    Thanks, Don