Triumph Scrambler

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by danger_dave, May 29, 2006.

1. M700

M700 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool. Just ordered my "Ventura" luggage system. Doing my part to spend that economic stimulus check. Wonderful. Am I now stimulating New Zeland's economy? :D Okay with me!

Looks like a decent way to go for carrying some gear on the Scrambler - should help make my fly-fishing and camping trips easier...

I think Mr. Vern has the same setup and it looked good - keeps everything tucked right behind the rider. I'll post a photo or two when I get the luggage setup all bolted together on the bike.

Regards, Guy
  2. tri boy

tri boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Venture system is extremely adaptable, if bungy cords are your thing.
    Various dry bags, and gear bags can be used with it.
    Both the low, and high rack will make it all the more adaptable.
    I use a PVC tube bungyed to the footpeg and rack to carry my small soft bait rods. Never been a problem. The bike was loaded for a 3day camp/fishing trip last summer. Scramblers rock.

Attached Files:

3. tri boy

tri boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Probably a better shot of the tube.

Attached Files:

4. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows All - Tells Some.

Oddometer:

True dat - it's a handy and versitile set up, and very well made.

Hijack: You still heading this direction on the way to the coast sometime, Guy? If not, I guess I will have to aim my Scrammy toward Washington before the heat sets in!
  5. Krahe

Krahe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I get mine in 24 hours. Blue and white with a black engine. :thumb

Kinda nervous, first bike and all. Pics after the weekend...:ricky
  6. Mista Vern

Oddometer:

:clap :clap :clap

Take it easy and practice, practice, practice. Most bikes go over during slow speed maneuvering (generally in front of a crowd :lol3 ) so get yerself to a field or empty parking lot and do lots of slow figure 8s and tight turns.

Enjoy!!!! :D
  7. Beach40

Beach40 Banned

Oddometer:
    What tyres are you running tri boy?
  8. tri boy

tri boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That rear is a Metzeler Sahara 3. (great tyre for general gravel/camping/seal work).
    The front has been TKC's since the original trailwing was removed.
    Happy to stay with TKC on the front, and I alternate between
    TKC80, Metz Sahara, Mitas E-09, for the rear depending on the ride, adventure planned. (I'm well used to tyre changing now).
    If I had to pick one rear that does it the best, it would be the Continental TKC80. But give the Sahara 3 a go, it's a good dual purpose hoop.
  9. Ace_Cafe_Rat

Ace_Cafe_Rat "Crazy Old Coot"

Oddometer:
    Undisclosed location in the Nuevo México Desert
    I am planning to purchase a pair of TKC-80s for my "Scramblerized Bonneville". I have "heard" that one can run a TKC-80 110/80BQ19 on the front and a TKC-80 150/70B17 on the rear. Has anyone run a 150/70 on the rear? It seems too much larger than the 130/80 that comes stock. :ear

Thanks

Ace
  10. A mi que?

A mi que? Love Supreme

Oddometer:
    Ace, I haven't "heard" of that size being used, but I'm running a TKC-80 110/80 BQ19TL front and TKC-80 130/80T 17 TL rear. As per dealership. I can't imagine finding out the hard way ($$$) that a non stock size doesn't fit.
  11. Ace_Cafe_Rat

Ace_Cafe_Rat "Crazy Old Coot"

Oddometer:
    Undisclosed location in the Nuevo México Desert
    GOOD point! ThanX, I will go with what is recommended. That way I don't get stuck with a tire that I cannot use.

Ace

12. Krahe

Krahe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put my first 25 miles on the bike (besides the sedate 7 on the ride from the dealer).

I love it.:pynd

It was stormy looking all day. I got home from work, put on my gear headed for the road. After the first couple miles I was out of traffic and on the back country roads. Just then the clouds opened and the sun came pouring through. God must love Triumphs! It was broken clouds and sunny all the way while I put the motorcycle through its paces. I only got up to 60mph but I loved the entire range. It really is great for cruising through the countryside at about 40mph. It was a great first ride, everything I wanted!

:thumb

[​IMG]
  13. Mista Vern

Oddometer:

:clap :clap :clap
  14. tri boy

tri boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Enjoy your beast Krahe.
    (you will learn to be paitent with all the folks that stop and harass you about your ride. :tbPart of the experience).
  15. M700

M700 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Inspired by a few others here and on TriumphRat - and in need of a way to tote stuff - I just installed the Ventura rack system on my Scrambler. Made in New Zealand, both the chromed steel rack and the heavy duty nylon pack appear to be high quality and strong. It took me all of about 20 minutes to bolt the rack together on the bike. Very nice that it all fit so easily.

Another few minutes to wrestle the internal supports into the 51 liter nylon pack, and all was ready. I got the kit with both the low sport rack and the high rack to fit the nylon pack. The low sport rack will be on the bike except when I need the high rack. With the pack in place, and mounted forward, resting on the seat, there is plenty of room on the back of the rack for a sleeping bag, foam pad and a backpacker's tent. I'm confident that the rack, pack and my little 14 liter tank bag offer more than enough capacity for a pretty extended tour of the west! Heck, I even managed to lash a couple of fly rods, and my fishing bag to the rack. [​IMG]

Okay, Mr. Vern and some others beat me to it, but I can do it too! [​IMG]

Good product that makes my Scrambler a lot more useful. Not faster, not sexier, not louder, just a lot more useful. Cool.
  16. M700

M700 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Krahe - enjoy your Scram - it's a great bike! :D
  17. dave1068

dave1068 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome to our exclusive and ever-growng club. One of the better looking triumphs there is...

Safe riding
  18. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    Nice report on your first ride. Enjoy. :clap :freaky
  19. Krahe

Krahe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you all for the encouragement! Without all your discussions and pictures I might have lost interest. Thank you all.

Well I added another 65 miles to the scrammy and its over 100 now.

Took it out this morning for an hour. Brought it home when it started raining. Watched it torrentially rain on my new bike. Wiped bike off after it stopped raining and rode it another 2 hours on the back roads stopping only for gas and food. It was after noon when I brought it home.

Things I learned about the bike:

* Riding in hard rain 'aint no thang'. I fear water no more.

* Riding on rain softened dirt roads is fun and exciting, especially with oncoming traffic and a semi sideways slide on mud. Not afraid of dirt roads anymore either. The journalists who wrote 'it was not an off pavement bike' should be sterilized before its too late. The bike does 'float' like any other vehicle on loose dirt, but washboards are absorbed by the suspension pretty well.

* $8 Gas stops kick ass. Screw the $60 i am putting in the truck each week, this is my new commuter.

* The engine and drive train are so smooth its like music to my ears. This is good engineering. Harley owners take note: stop paying for high dollar dentist visits to replaced loose fillings, get a Triumph.

* I like the stock suspension, brakes, and tires (tyres). I had some minor stiffness after stopping for gas, but I also sit at a desk all day and am tragically out of shape (not fat though).

* I am a noob and can ride this machine while sight seeing. Its a great cycle for commuting and cruising. I dont think I will ever look at a sport bike again. I love this bike.

* Without a windscreen, my Nolan helmet is too noisy above 45mph. I need to get sound damping earplugs or headphones.

* I stopped at Target (large chain store like Wal-Mart but with higher standards) and got some starbucks and a messenger bag for a run to the book store. I sat and watched my bike from the coffee shop window seat and noticed all sorts of people stopping to look at my Scrambler. One was a 60 ish looking lady with another older lady. She stopped and said something to the effect "My Henry(?) used to have one like this." My lip reading is bad but it was either henry, honey, or homey. On the way out, even the cart boy asked me how much it was. His eyes got wide when I told him I only put $8 in it for 100 miles. It was fun watching everyone look at the bike.

* I bought a Wenger (Swiss Army) Laptop Messenger Bag and it was great for carrying a copy of Bike and some books. It looks good enough to use as a briefcase for work when I commute on the Scrambler.

Two thumbs up! Triumph did everything right with this one. :thumb
  20. Mista Vern

Oddometer:
    Fun report, Krahe! :D You folks in the lower Midwest are sure getting hit by storms this year, eh?

FWIW, most drug stores have a wide variety of ear plugs; try them all out and see which ones work best.