The XT600 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CR_TurboGuy, Jan 21, 2007.

1. cramarc

cramarc n00b

Oddometer:
    This has been talked here already:

95- has different tank, tank scoops, seat, sidecovers and tail cover. As seen on next photos: (first one is till -94 type, other upon 95-)

[​IMG][​IMG]

So basically if you want to bolt it on you'll have to change at least that above and some mountings.

Maybe you can fit somehow the tank but you'll have to modify the seat I think.
  2. thumpthumpthump

thumpthumpthump Thumpthumpthump

Oddometer:
    I am asking about the the Acerbis 5.3 gallon tank. I am not running the side panels or the air box. The Acerbis has its own scoops so those are not an issue. All that really matters is will the tank fit on the bikes stock mounts and will it fit with the stock 90-94 seat. Thanks for the pictures , the seat is quite different. thumpthump
  3. cramarc

cramarc n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes I know but if you change the seat the rear fender, and side cover won't fit.
  4. thumpthumpthump

Oddometer:
    Doooomed to gas up every 120 miles unless I can find a discontinued 90-94 acerbis tank. What about one of those tenere xt600 tanks everybody has except the US? Would that fit a US 90-94 xt 600 , frame and seat? CRAMARC how did that clutch issue come out? thumpthump
  5. Coots

Coots That's what she said

Oddometer:
    Thump,

You might pose the question over at Mezo's site. I don't know if you followed his thread before he got sent to perma camp. He has tons of info on Tenere's. Link is http://www.tenere.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=14

6. Coots

Coots That's what she said

Oddometer:
  7. bosley1980

bosley1980 Banned

Oddometer:
    Hello all
    I finally mounted tube tool on my bike.
    Thanks to all who advised me.
    What do you think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Tube is attached to the base plate (2mm stainless steel) and the lid is secured against rotating steel wire (just nothing complicated).

Lock for helmet is still functional!
  8. thumpthumpthump

Oddometer:
    Looks great. Good job.thumpthump
  9. wide

wide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks well mounted there Bosley
  10. vanaman

vanaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i have a 1990 xt600e and after about 10min on the road the back end of the bike starts feeling really loose. almost like the rear tire is low on air.

Tires are years old t63's and have the specified air pressures.

the rear of the bike (suspension) feels soft. i can eaily push the rear of the bike down.

any ideas?
  11. cramarc

cramarc n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, while working on the clutch I found something warning me!!

Just spot the difference! (Left was on bike / right is spare one)
    [​IMG]

Second previous owner stripped the thread of the bolt of the oil filter and fitted a bigger bolt(with helicoil)!! While doing this he messed up with the function of covering the hole that leads to the sump.

Luckily I had a spare cover (the one in the right of the photo) Got to clean it and see if the spare one is alright to function.

The bike has been running at least 1 and a half year like this! (and more time from the previous owner) just some strange noises coming from the top end (maybe from lack of lubrication?) but anything was going too hot or at least I didn't notice

With the oil filter cover attached the bolt looked like this(not covering at all the conduct)

[​IMG]

Waiting for yamaha new bolt now

Proud of my XT not dying for anything, might be good opening top end looking for anything messed up? looked at it 6 months ago and looked perfect.

Any thoughts?

Cleaned the spare clutch cover got the bolt I needed form Yamaha (so fast!) and got the bike running, ended up I was doing something wrong on the adjustment of the clutch as now it's perfect, I've got a runner, I got to see if tank oil level i more constant than before as no oil will be going to the crankcase through the cracked hole!

Tried this time Yamalube 10W40 Semisynthetic to see if it works well.
  12. preppypyro

preppypyro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I tore the rear fender off of my bike last night! Anyone have an extra one kicking around they would be willing to part with? Found em new online for 40 bucks, so its not like its the end of the world to buy new either!
  13. bosley1980

bosley1980 Banned

Oddometer:
    Today I made a little box that measures two values​​.
    1) The temperature outside (LEFT)
    2) Voltmeter - to know the condition of the battery and if I ever recharges (RIGHT)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I KNOW - It is a something different than analog indicators.... but working great.

[​IMG]

Maybe after time remove it - has not done any construction changes
  14. balto68

balto68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey XT600 people! I'm looking at this lovely bike and have a pretty good deal on it if I want it.

[​IMG]

The owner says it has an oil leak. I emailed and asked him to explain it to me more, and he said:
    "It leaks where the line comes out of it, Ir needs a new tank, we have tried sealing up the line. You would need to check the oil before you ride it, the oil doesn't poor out of it just a slight leak."

Otherwise, he says it's in good shape besides the obvious seat cover issue and a rear tire that needs replacing.

If you had to guess, how big a deal will this oil problem be to fix? Will it be something I can do on my own?

I'm not looking for a project bike. I'm a fairly new rider looking for a fun bike to take up dirt roads and take camping. At his sub $1K price, I'll have more money to buy riding gear and such. Am I living in a fantasy world?
  15. thumpthumpthump

Oddometer:
    The oil lines have simple o ring seals , no big deal. Tanks and used oil lines are usually available on ebay. New oil lines are available from several oem parts suppliers. I paid the same for my project years ago and if it cranks and runs and shifts go for it. thumpthump
  16. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
    Hi all !

Just droped by to show you all a bit of fun me a a few friends had this weekend Here in Portugal

Personaly did about 500km (100km off road)
    we were about 30 bikes (most xt 600 or stz 660)

a short video :

Right at the end of the vid you can see me grab some air on the XT600 !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iXPKJI3G4_k

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iXPKJI3G4_k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

nuno
  17. wide

wide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice clip... at about 4 min 10 sec a couple of XTs go by with screens... what screens were being used they looked very useful.
    One Q mind, why dont more of you guys use a better dual sport tyre to get some decent grip to get more feedback from looser surfaces ????
  18. LilYoda

LilYoda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The first one looks like a Ermax windshield.
  19. webmonstro

Oddometer:
    Hi!
    The first one is a "screens from AUstralia " -just google it- model this one he had to mount it higher than normal (even not being a tall rider ) due to wind getting directed to his helmet but now is quit happy with it and it seems well made
    the other is (i' think) a givi (or ermax) generic universal street type adapted to the XT

As for tyres, well most of the riders don't usualy go off-road so that's why they use street tires

Especialy the Teneres (there was a second group of riders that went a all street route that included a couple of XTz 1200

Personaly i'm using TKC'80 on mine
  20. webmonstro

Oddometer:
    ok so since you did'nt ask heres some fotos of the same ride :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]