The XR400 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Hayduke, Jan 16, 2008.

1. KneeKicker

KneeKicker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a set of stock fork springs laying around?
  2. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I do. They came with the bike, which has upgraded springs. I'm assuming their stock. PM me if you're interested
  3. Freshdonuts

Freshdonuts All tortise no hare.

Oddometer:
    Merry Christmas my fellow inmates. Been sitting here reflecting on the last few weeks. I just rode the BAJA on an xr50!
    Well not actually,but I did just finish reading every page of this thread on an iPhone ( I don't have a computer).
    Tons of great info,tech links,vendor links,etc. Was worth the squint,sore eyes,and aching thumbs.
    Looking forward to a new year as I put the last few bolts into my lil mule and get to riding..... and get away from this damn phone!
  4. XR4EVER

XR4EVER 919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer:
    *Like*
  5. stuckin

stuckin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you guys have a brand of skid plate you like? I got one and its a pain to mount. Having to remove it ever time i need to change the oil and remont it would be a pain. Looking for something sturdy and easy to take on and off. the one i have now is a Ricochet. Just hoping for something that is easier to deal with

stuck
  6. Rman237

Rman237 Ride Rural Texas

Oddometer:
    Not sure what brand mine is but I devised a little piece of plastic that I use while changing the oil. It's quite the mess without it!! :lol3

[​IMG]
  7. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just use tin foil when I change the oil, haven't made a mess since I started.
  8. stuckin

stuckin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just trying to figure out how to get to the plug on the bottom of the bike. I dont want to have to take it off and on each time
  9. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Long timer

Oddometer:
    The one on the side you mean? I still use tin foil for that one. Is it being blocked by your skid plate?
  10. stuckin

stuckin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea on the side sorry. i was thinking of a different bike. So the tin foil u just make a ramp into a bucket to to drain? i just dont want it to get under the skid plate and make a mess and have to take it off
  11. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    yeah..I shudda showed you that when we were messin with that skid pan of yours...the issue will be cleaning out the downtube screen..yeah that pan you got will be a MAJOR PITA!
  12. stuckin

stuckin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea just to mount it looked like a pain doc. I wish they had one that bolted on a lot easier. cleaning out the downtubes screen?
  13. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    yep..I will get with you on that..pretty simple to do, PROVIDING you aint got a skid pan on there! :rofl
  14. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah-but....there is the pump pickup screen that requires the removal of the right hand crankcase cover....that's the screen that's hard to get to.
  15. Brewster

Brewster Adventurer

Oddometer:

Uhhhhh .......... You should remove the stock frame guard in order to mount the skid plate properly, which would put the skid plate closer to the frame. Draining the oil is a non issue. Follow the "Ricochet" instructions. Cleaning the screen in the downtube doesn't need to be done every oil change.

Cheers,
  16. XR4EVER

XR4EVER 919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer:
    I thought you guys might get a kick out of this.

When my wife and I got married back in '06, this was a little wedding cake next to the big one.

[​IMG]
  17. DrLewall

Oddometer:
  18. Rojobandito

Rojobandito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere I remember reading that a guy would cut a piece of PVC about six inches long and place it over the drain plug. I don't remember what size PVC, maybe 1.5"?? Anyway, you just stick your socket on an extension, then shove that through the PVC and pull your plug. The PVC should route any oil into your preferred oil receptacle. Hope that helps.
  19. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    You don't get near the bottom to change the oil. I told you to get a Honda oem service manual. You saved enough on that shock spring to cover the cost. You NEED one and it will be the best money you will spend. It will protect you from yourself!!! :D Do it, Now!
  20. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would bet three nickels that 99.63472% of owners have never cleaned that screen. Ever!