Nwgs Jeep'n Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by nwgs, May 20, 2007.

1. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jeep sat for about 5-6 weeks. Installed new radiator,hoses,water pump and serpentine belt. Nice to have more than 1 vehicle again. Try riding the Tuono with a 40 lb. bag of dog food in yer lap.
  2. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:
    Sooo, had the JK for about 6wks now....already about 4k miles....:eek1

[​IMG]

Some thoughts..

Loving it!!! Came out of a 2006 Xterra Off Road...which, BTW, I was very happy with.

The Jeep is more comfortable. Overall better ergonomics. I have done several 500+ mile days going back and forth to my Orygun property with minimal/no discomfort. I find I get there quicker with less aches and creakiness in the old joints. Had to stop every 150 miles in the Xterra to stretch/bend.

Noise- Jeep is slightly louder...much better than I expected. Some of the issue is with the current tires.
    I DO plan on getting one of those head liner kits as I hear they help decrease noise and, as a bonus, keep the inside temps down on a hot day.

Mileage is about the same....until I start driving 75 on I5 north to Orygun....seeing 15-17 mpg

Probably a result of the comparative decreased/angled frontal aspect of the Xterra.

Around town is as low as 10mpg....:cry

65 mph fwy around 18-20mpg.

55mph Hwy 101 seeing low 20's.

In all fairness, as it breaks in it does seem to be getting a bit better.

Turning radius....much better/tighter on the Xterra...was kind of surprised by that.

Auto tranny....hunts a bit more than I'd like. The Xterra had an Overdrive "off" button that was very handy. Not so on the Jeep.
    One aspect I love about the JK is on a long hill (example: coming south out of Ashland, OR down I-5) the tranny gives the Jeep a lot of compression braking without downshifting. Not sure how it works...but it does.
    Used to have to downshift the Xterra for the same effect.

Overall visibility better in the Jeep.

Could haul more crap (camping gear) in the Xterra....quickly removable rear seats. Considering pulling the back seats out of the JK as I don't haul passengers anyway. Might build some kind of permanent box for gear.

Power...preferred the Xterra. More low end grunt/real world engine power...but it was a 4.0 vs a 3.6.

Passing, probably a wash...once the JK is revving it hauls ass.

JK owner's manual sucks....almost zero info. Xterra had a VERY extensive manual that described all basic maintenance including trouble shooting, changing out all the bulbs, etc., etc.

Looks...very subjective. Loved the look of the Xterra.....Love the look of the JK.

No real off road experience with the JK yet.

Probably a result of driving the Xterra 7 yrs, 110k miles, but I (thus far) do not feel confident regarding where stuff is (ie front end, back end, tires) when doing tight maneuvers.

Overall VERY happy...plus I just love Jeeps.......:D

Downside...I'm spending money like a drunken sailor buying farkles...
  3. dirtyoffroad

dirtyoffroad Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    not sure what size tires you have,but if they are much bigger than the stockers it will feel a bit sluggish,and hurt your mileage.The Rubicon tires are 32" but it has 4.10 gears.
  4. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    10 mpg in town? :huh Dude, it ain't a race car! The only time I get that is in 4 low!

Otherwise I think a very fair write up. Don't forget when you pull the back seats, you'll have to level it out as it's not like the old school or 2 door ones that they just come out.

On the owner's manual, have you really looked through that DVD? Granted it's mostly in hieroglyphics, but there is some decent info in there. Otherwise, since there are literally over a million JKs out there, you can find whatever info you need on the interwebs. It also has so much emissions crap that it will just need to be plugged in to diagnose darn near anything- they even searched for a code in my HVAC system- kinda ridiculous to me in a Wrangler.

Let me know on the headliner thing as I've been debating that and Rhino lining (or the like) in the tub for better soundproofing (the thing isn't Karen's BMW, but definitely good for a Wrangler). Also, if you go topless much, look into one of those spiderweb shades things- we're really happy with ours with the only downside is the the hard top is a pain in the butt to put back on with it still there.
  5. HardCase

HardCase winter is coming

Oddometer:
    DaFoole, you can get the full owner's manual in hard/paper form by calling Jeep customer service at 1-877-426-5337......if you are the original purchaser it will be free, they'll want your name and the VIN, if you're not the original purchaser they may sell you one for not very much $. Or you can always download the manual on your computer from the Jeep website. It's nice to have a hard copy to keep in the vehicle, however.
  6. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First weekend with the 2011 nice cool temps, pulled the top off and rode across several covered bridges, drove some fire roads went up a logging road, just what I got it for and about as hard core as this Wrangle will see. Going to the Smoky Mtn's this weekend easy ride down Parson Branch and Kings Mtn Rd.

[​IMG]
  7. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:

Will check that out. I got the DVD...not much useful info there..and the "Army Green" Canvas ensconced "owners manual" when I bought the thing.... worthless....unless you're trying to program the radio...

All very disappointing. Actually...compared the the Xterra...pretty much a joke.

The Xterra manual, IMHO...sets the bar for a real owners manual

.........Honda/Kawasaki/Yamaha/Suzuki/Harley/KTM/Triumph/Ducati/BMW , et al.....are you listening?????

No? Didn't think so......:cry

Why, Chrysler...why? :rofl

I guess we're not capable of basic fixes/maintenance.....
  8. longtallsally

Oddometer:
    Did you get the GPS radio? If so, wait till you need to do a firmware update. Oh yeah, that was fun...
  9. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:
    Nope. As noted, I got the "Luddite Edition"......:lol3

Manual locks, roll up windows, manual AC adjustment, manual dome lights that don't come on when the door is opened, seat needs human power to move around, basic radio/CD player with i-pod jack....

You know....just like the stone age....:rofl

No power anything = less shit to break...
  10. longtallsally

Oddometer:
    Stupid German cars ruined me for living without toys. However, I drew the line at leather seats (in a Wrangler? Seriously?), auto climate control (um, this is a topless and doorless oriented machine still), and the $1800 GPS stereo (we got the one just below it, but I just couldn't justify $2k for a stereo).

We also opted for the 6 speed, which is like rowing a boat, but the economy is incredible if you drive like a grandma, and admittedly it's a bit of a principle thing for me- and I like it better for hard core off road.

Now here is something I take exception to that a lot of folks complain about: the stereo. Mine is PLENTY loud. Now I don't know if you got the uprated speakers and sub, but mine is loud enough to make my ears ring and vibrate the mirrors, so I really don't get the complaints. I barely ever get to listen to it loud, since this is currently our primary family machine, but when I get to wind it up, I'm totally satisfied.

I guess it's like I've said a SLEW of times; we got the hotrod version so we wouldn't have to modify it- and aside from the armor and winch, we've really stuck to that.

Still LOVE our machine. Problem is, I'm jonesing for an E39 M5 for my wife now... How hot would that be to have msbianca rolling a 400 horsepower monster? :evil
  11. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:
    "For my wife....." :rofl :clap :evil

Very good strategy!!!!!!

As far as the stereo....the Xterra had a high end Rockford-Fosgate system with a big ass woofer...I could out-do the nearby Cholo's by thumping out Black Sabbath or Zepplin while destroying my few remaining audio neurons....:lol3

So...yeah, the stereo is whimpy....:deal

BTW...figured out my horrible mileage is partially a result of oversized tires...I read 5-7mph lower than what I'm traveling thus less miles showing as to what was travelled...Actually getting 1-2 mpg better than the little gauge indicates....:clap
  12. longtallsally

Oddometer:
    So it sounds like you didn't get the hotrod stereo. As long as you've got the sound bar, you at least have the enclosures you'll want and I've read a lot of positive stuff about guys putting poly fill in the tweeters and sound bar and (when you put one in assuming it didn't come with one) sub.

As for the M5, I've been wanting to get her a nice hotrod for a long time. We planned on ordering her a new M3 while in Germany, but she decided she wanted the G Wagen instead, and then we decided we wanted a house even more when she changed her mind to an X5. Now she just doesn't want a car payment, so it will probably be a while. Ah but it is so fun to shop...
  13. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    My XJ as it sits. New addition is Nates 4x4 rack modified to carry kayaks.

[​IMG]
  14. HardCase

HardCase winter is coming

Oddometer:
    Great looking XJ, Barry. I've never owned one but have always liked them, and a good friend of mine has one and loves it. I got a little excited/interested when Chrysler/Jeep announced that they were coming out with a new version, but when I recently saw pics of it I was very dissapointed. Looks like every other "crossover" SUV on the road these days, to wit, butt ugly IMHO. :cry
  15. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    Not feeling the new Jeeps... if I were going newer, I'd go Forerunner.

Like my XJ for what I need, but if it shits the bed I'd probably get a Toyota of some sort.
  16. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    Figured I'd post this again here.

I know it's near impossible to give a value on a Jeep without seeing it, but...

For this YJ Jeep: http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/cto/4124763281.html

I could live with it, but it has 'bling' on it that I have no use for, some of which I don't even like (chrome, the wheels with worn tires, a bunch of lights that are mounted in a way that is only OK at lower speeds), and is missing a few things I think I should have
    • - spare tire/wheel
    • - spare tire carrier
    • - jack of any sort
    • - heater core (yes, someone took it out and blocked off the holes) & blower & everything that belongs down there
    • - air conditioning (not a neccessity if I could add a JeepAir kit)
    But it does really seem to have a rebuilt motor, a new clutch (tested it), a Hurst shifter, Auto Meter gauges. The steering is fine, but the speedo is way, way off considering that with the larger tires on it the speedo should be reading slower than the stated speed, but instead it's reading something like 100 MPH if it hits 75 (according to the owner who says this is a gear that needs changed - my question still stands as to why it is reading faster instead of slower).

The hood is creased from flipping up at speed, and the front bumper bent in.

Steers OK, starts OK, two new tie-rod ends.

It is painted blue on the outside, but in the engine compartment everything is still the original red. The frame and body seem more rust free than I imagined they could be on a 1990, but then I'm used to Penssylvania vehicles.

There is absolutely no way to tell how many miles are on the thing.

1990 YJ - with that said, how much do you all think it's worth? I think I'm looking at a rear bumper / wheel carrier for ~ $800, a spare wheel and tire, and -some- form of heat just in case I go anywhere, or get another job that isn't 3 miles from the house (yes, at speed even the 35 degrees we get down here some winter days gets really cold).

Asking price is something like $6950, and the guy told me some kids came by offering $6200 and he wouldn't take it. Not sure that's the case since on the phone days earlier he told me people were low-balling him in the $2000 and $3000 price ranges.
  17. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    Seems high to me for what you get. I'd keep looking, too many out there to buy one with options you don't want...
  18. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    As I eluded to in the other post, it's not worth $6200. It's not even worth $4000. I can't tell if it had a SYE but judging from the why it was built, I'm thinking Tcase shims. The Jeeps a bit of a mess.

I would seriously look elsewhere. I also highly recommend buying a stock Jeep. Most of the time you end up spending more time reversing what the PO did to it. Otherwise, take someone who know's Jeeps well with you.

With that said here's what $6500 could get you out west.

[​IMG]

5 speed manual with 4.0 in line 6.
    Has on board air Dana 44 axles with 4.88 gears and Detroit lockers front and rear. Slip yoke eliminator with long slip drive lines. After market A.C. 35" tires Great running and driving jeep. Too much to list call or text with questions
    209 three52-three883

http://goldcountry.craigslist.org/cto/4138046667.html
  19. longtallsally

Oddometer:
    What Jeffy said. And he knows YJs. My biggest flag on that guy is the 258. I thought the 4.0 went in in '90?

Looks like a half assed rebuilt that if it was yours, it's fine, but for a buyer, not so much.
  20. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    Nope, '91 was the first year for the 4.0L and MPFI. Before that the 4.2L was the Carter BBD Carb. It's getting hard to find a YJ that's not modified anymore. TJ's have dropped into the dirt cheap category while CJ's are either projects, crawlers/buggies or restorations. There's not much in-between.