Lost Coast Info?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by redninja, Jul 20, 2011.

1. redninja

redninja Will ride 4 scenery

Oddometer:
    I'll be touring the Humboldt County area soon and would like to hit one of the Lost Coast beaches. Maps shows 2 roads; Shelter Cove and Lighthouse. Info says Shelter Cove Road is paved, and Lighthouse Road is paved except the last mile. We'll be on street bikes. Anyone have any first-hand info on these roads? Thanks for any info.
  2. Tosh Togo

Tosh Togo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't been on it in a few years, but the last bit of Lighthouse Road before you get to the campground was a nice flat nearly two-lane wide gravel-on-hardpack path. No worries, unless you get in a hurry. The road dropping down into Shelter Cove is paved, crooked, and bumpy. Stay away from Usal Road. :puke1

-Click the larger image in the middle of this page to get a good idea of what it looks like from the west. :D If it's dry, that road you can see on the bluff above is easily rideable on a streetbike; it's the last uphill road as you head toward the beach.

If you've got the time, hike south down the coast to the old lighthouse that the road's named after.
  3. shortbus4x4

shortbus4x4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lighthouse should be fine on the graveled part, just watch out for potholes. My family and I went out there about three months ago.
  4. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    >"I'll be touring the Humboldt County area soon and would like to hit one of the Lost Coast beaches."

If you go on the Lost Coast road (Honeydew to Ferndale) you'll hit several beaches along the way. The lighthouse beach is sand. Beaches further along the Lost Coast are rocky tidepools, sand, and rounded rock. (IMHO more interesting stuff)
  5. Sport

Sport Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The actual Lost Coast hiway is less than ten miles long with one ranch house at the north end. From Ferndale just head west and you'll find it. Stay left at the Capetown sign. Once you get to the ocean, heading south about eleven miles later the road winds up the hill and inland towards Petrolia, another thriving community. At Honeydew I'd stay left (east) and head back towards the Avenue of the Giants. You'll cross a wood bottom bridge and come into the Giants just north of Weott. That section is th prettiest anyway but the road is sometimes a one laner thru deep redwood forests and is quite bumpy at any speed. Very serene inside the forest though. The road from Honeydew to Shelter Cove can be iffy in spots for road bikes and hasn't been fully paved...ever I think. Here's a shot from the north end facing south. See the ranch house on the left? I spent a couple hours riding and walking that tiny coastline and in that time maybe 4-5 vehicles came by.

Attached Files:

6. redninja

Oddometer:
    Great info; thanks. Next question...someone told me there are rattlesnakes :eek1 all over the place, even on the beach. True??
  7. Sport

Sport Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ..." I spent a couple hours riding and walking that tiny coastline and in that time maybe 4-5 vehicles came by."

but I didn't see any snakes. That pic was in November and I don't know their (active) time of the year. Anyway, that's what good boots are for! :D <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
  8. rollinrob

rollinrob Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think someone is pulling your leg, little to cold for the "snakes on the beach".

I just got an idea for a movie
  9. Steve0

Steve0 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rode from Ferndale south last night to Petrolia, Honeydew then to 101. The road was rough but then again, I was on my curiser.
  10. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    >"someone told me there are rattlesnakes :eek1 all over the place, even on the beach. True??"

They are Sea Snakes... not rattlesnakes! Dangerous venom, but short fangs.

(only kidding)
  11. PinkPillion

PinkPillion Husqy pilot too...

Oddometer:
    Mattole Rd is the one from Ferndale (follow signs to Petrolia). We took this last year in the 1150 GS. It is beautiful long ride through rolling hills, but there are potholes galore. There is a cool campround (Mattole Beach Campground) near Petrolia with a nice sandy beach. Wild turkey and bears in the area. If you leave from Ferndale make sure you get gas, next gas is in Shelter Cove (no premium). A month ago we took Shelter Cove Rd from HWY 101, curvy, with tons of deer hiding along the road. The beach in Shelter Cove is rocky, a few tide pools, and sea lions bask in the sun to the right of the lighthouse. Never have been on a road called "Lighthouse". Have a great ride!!!
  12. redninja

Oddometer:
    Okie-dokie...I've got campground reservations in the redwood forest for a coupla nights, then above a beach for a coupla more. It's been so hot and dry here in CO, all I can think about is FOG ! (I grew up on the coast in Washington). Mr. redninja has never seen real coastal fog; he may be in for a rude awakening....:rofl
  13. avejoe

avejoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Down around the corner half a mile from here
    I did some of those roads last week. Don't miss the section between Hwy 101 and Honeydew. The old growth redwood forest scenery is amazing.

I did see a rattlesnake crossing the road. I would be less concerned about snakes and more concerned about the "farmers". Just keep riding and smile and wave.
  14. redninja

Oddometer:
    Wave at the snakes?:rofl
  15. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    >"more concerned about the "farmers".

Dope growers. Marijuana is about the only thing keeping the North Coast alive. Every little store has $10 per sack fertilizer (bat guano & such), with people buying whole truckloads of it. Growing season is late due to the bad springtime weather.

Passed a 10 yard dumptruck and pup with soil amendements up hwy 96 yesterday. We stopped in Orleans and chatted with some bikers... dump truck showed up and headed up a side road. I'd bet there is a big dope farm up that road.

Most dope farmers want to stay invisible, and I haven't heard of any incidents up here so far this year... when the dope is ready to be harvested later this year, then you need to be careful.
  16. shortbus4x4

shortbus4x4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I grew up and live here in Humboldt County and have never seen a rattlesnake on the coast. Even inland a ways they aren't real common compared to some places.
  17. avejoe

avejoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Down around the corner half a mile from here
    Yep, that was my first Humboldt Co. rattlesnake. Had another rattlesnake first this year. A rattler on snow in Placer Co.

[​IMG]
  18. redninja

Oddometer:
  19. redninja

Oddometer:
    Made the trip, and it was fabulous. Planning to return in the spring with the dual sports. Here is the funniest thing I've ever seen...cows walking on the beach !
    [​IMG]

And, a really big tree....
    [​IMG]

And I have a whole boatload of beach pics....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And flowers....
    [​IMG]

And birds...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice pictures, we are going to do this ride tomorrow. Iam new to this area but my brother in law knows the area well, I think we will have him lead the way.:rofl