Anyone ridden in Slovenia?

Discussion in 'EMEA' started by theshnizzle, Nov 24, 2013.

1. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just would like some info, I hear or read rather, its confusing as hell and no street view.....as of yet. Any cool places to go/see.....whatever. I realize this is a pretty general question but I would just like to get a sense of what the countryside/ city/ riding is like in that country.

Thanks
  2. Nadgett

Nadgett Obnoxious, dimwitted blowhard

Oddometer:
    There is one big four lane highway that goes from the Italian border in the west to the Hungarian border in the east. Everything else is a twisty, winding two lane mountain road. In the northwest corner of the country is the Triglav National Park; in the park you will find the Vršič Pass, which is worth a ride. Caution advised: it gets busy in the summer. A little north-west of the Slovene border you can cross the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse, the highest mountain pass in the Austrian Alps, and just a bit west of that is the famous Stelvio Pass in the Italian Alps.

In the northeast part of the country, where I live, are the foothills of the Alps. There are lots of roads through wine country. You can stop every two minutes at a vineyard. Not far from here is a mountain valley called Logarska Dolina, one of the most scenic roads I've ridden.

I'll post some photos later.
  3. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

One of these is here. Cortina d'Ampezzo in Italy via Tolmezzo and Vrsic to Bled.
  4. Ken Fritz

Ken Fritz Long timer

Oddometer:
    We've ridden Slovenia twice and loved every minute of it. Beautiful country, helpful people, good food, great riding. They have VERY stiff speeding fines and reasonable fees for the vignette if you wish to use the big highways. The big highways are good for saving time and they're very good roads when in a bit of hurry or when just trying to avoid summer traffic which can be unbearable, especially close to the Italian border.
  5. PFFOG

PFFOG Richard Alps-aholic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Western NY, further from NYC than 6 entire states
    Run up the Mangart too if you are in the NW area and it is a clear day. One of the best views in the Alps, and a fun ride up.

Slovenia is also relatively inexpensive too. I know a guy that spent a week just kicking around and loved it.
  6. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Read...and gawk at endless pics, maybe?
    2009 we spend a few days in the north...and the neighbouring Friuli in Italy.
    Check into this
    http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2645&highlight=mangart&page=12

Post #58 gets you straight across the border from Austria, after that it's 4 days in northern SLO, followed by the Friuli and Dolomites.
    Hope you'll enjoy:wink:
  7. HunSolo

HunSolo Mad Monk Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spent a month riding in the Balkans this June/July, including Slovenia. Very easy, very pretty, very civilized. Essentially zero break-in time for a westerner. Go and enjoy. Mid July is the start date for the tourist season, so May or June to early July would be preferable.
  8. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Mangart (as has been mentioned), the Vrsic and Predil Passes, Lake Bled, stunning scenery.

I found the deserted border crossing at the Predil Pass interesting. The old "Iron Curtain" seems to have rusted away - not a soul to be seen. I almost expected to see tumbleweeds.

[​IMG]
  9. motobaer

motobaer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would like to add the winegrowin region around JERUZALEM:
    curvy roads and delicious wine. :freaky
    [​IMG]

The area at the coast at Portorož and Piran is very touristy, but worth a stop.

MOTOBAER
  10. PFFOG

Oddometer:

Actually Slovenia entered the EU a few years ago, thus border crossings disappeared.

Heck many of the Swiss crossings are now abandon. Last year I was riding the far Western boarder between Switzerland and France, we crossed in and out 4 or 5 times in one day, none were manned.
  11. Nadgett

Nadgett Obnoxious, dimwitted blowhard

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Quite a change from the mid-70s when it took me about 45 minutes to enter Yugoslavia from Trieste.
  13. exbee

exbee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got back from a trip that included Slovenia a little over a month ago. It's an amazing place to ride a motorcycle. Really good twisty roads everywhere, stunning scenery, and great people. I was very impressed with the country.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. PFFOG

Oddometer:
    Last time I went through a manned checkpoint, my Pillion offered him a flower, he smiled a little, though trying to be stoic.

The story behind the flower is this, I was riding a woman pillion and she would pick flowers off the rock walls on the fly. When ever I saw some growing out of the walls, I would get as close as I could so she could reach out and pluck them on the move.
  15. dooby

dooby aka Frgich; www.lobagola-mototours.com Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool gesture that was, and I bet that the smile on the border patrol men's face was there for some time after you passed the checkpoint :lol3
  16. Direktor

Direktor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lots of nice places and roads to ride in Slovenia.
    Nice country, nice peoples and from my point of view still little bit cheaper then others EU countries. Here are some pice from last ride in Slovenia in September:
    (Kranjska Gora, Bovec, Vrsic pass, Predil Pass, Mangart...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Direktor

Direktor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Womble_CH

Womble_CH dribbling baboon

Oddometer:
    Actually its not so much a question of EU but of the Schengen agreement. The UK and Ireland are part of the EU, but not Schengen, so they have passport controls (its easy, they are islands with limited entry points).

Switzerland/Liechtenstein, Norway (and Iceland) are not part of the EU but part of the Schengen agreement, so you can cross borders freely. Yet as they are not part of the EU trade zone, you can get controlled for goods, even several miles after the border.

To topic : I went twice to Slovenia, but could only do the NW alpine region which is stunning ! Be prepared for smaller roads without tar and some unplanned river crossings (no problem if you rent a KTM).

[​IMG]
  19. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    Enjoyable riding, I'd go back again. Just forget that the autobahn type road is there and stick with the little country roads. Good place to wander around without a plan.

[​IMG]

Lots of good scenery

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Never did find out what this was all about.

[​IMG]

.............shu
  20. PFFOG

Oddometer:
    Couldn't read it so i just imitated it!!

[​IMG]