Royal Enfield C5 Classic EFI

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by commonbear, Feb 22, 2011.

1. commonbear

commonbear Big Bear Small Bike

Oddometer:
    Morning all,

I am currently doing a bit of shopping around, thinking about upgrading my current ride from the V-Star 250 that I own, and while looking at this-and-that I ran across the Royal Enfield C5. Looking it over I am finding myself really liking the style and look in addition to the supposed gas milage and torgue, but haven't had a chance to take one for a spin yet (hoping to do that this weekend).

Might anyone have any experience with this bike? Pros and Cons? Known difficulties or issues with routine maintenance? Alternatives in the standard 500cc range? :hmmmmm
  2. ToesNose

ToesNose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    With the old RE engines you had to be a mechanic, I really don't know how reliable the new UCE (unit construction engine) is. I've found alot of reviews on the bike and all are very favorable, but I haven't come across any really informative reviews or ratings from people who have put some miles on one and get into the bikes intricacies.
  3. Claytonroy

Claytonroy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The coolest thing I've read about the older Enfield's is at the factory, two brothers work on the assembly line, hand painting the pinstripes. Not sure if that is still the case with introduction of unit construction EFI (and hopefully, improved reliability).

My only other comment is with some luck and patience, and for about the same amount of money, you could probably find a Honda GB500. Which won't depreciate in value and has better styling, guaranteed reliability, not to mention more HP.
  4. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    here: [​IMG]

replacing blown crank bearing in a parking lot in Bengal... they had parts on the ride... why?... not the first one to blow. I admit that it is the older generation, but India has some funny rules. Like no use of materials (bearings) made in other countries. I hear they changed the design, but who knows how good this one is? I have many years dicking with vintage bikes.... well... they weren't vintage when I bought them. Anyway, I would view the new Enfield as a vintage machine until proven otherwise.
  5. Blizzard Beast

Blizzard Beast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have one of those and so far the experience has been positive.I haven't put many miles on it though.Just about 6000 Km in the last one year.It gives me a gas mileage of around 25-30 Km/L.

Maintenance till now:

Regular oil change at 3 monthly interval/3000 Km
    Changed rear brake pads at 5500 Km
    Changed air filter at 5500 Km
    Broken accelerator cable at 5800 Km
    Replaced front tire bearings at 5800 Km

This is all I can remember.
    Apart from these there were a few niggles here and there which were taken care of by the workshop.

I'll be getting the fork oil and brake fluid changed next week.

I think the export models have better quality control than those for the home market.And you guys get the O2 sensor on the C5 while we don't.

I hope this helps.Anything else you want to know?
  6. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bearings, cables and brake pads that early?
    That does not bode well.....

A Suzuki would not even be broken in yet!

7. wayniceguy

wayniceguy n00b

Oddometer:
    While this is a great forum if you want more information from actual Royal Enfield owners they have a great community forum
    http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/

The new engine is totally modern although it still looks pretty vintage. For example it uses Keihin electronic fuel injection which is the best that is out there. Most owners on the RE forum seem pretty happy with the new ones.

An interesting side note is that RE says it made Keihin instrument a bike and map the EFI over the highest motor-able road in the world which happens to be in India. It goes to 18,250 feet. Apparently even the carburetor versions of the RE are the ride of choice to make that climb.

Also 5,000 km on a set of rear brake shoes isn't bad in India. The driving conditions are such that frequent replacements are common. One other thing that I have noticed on my trips there is that the horn is a "wear item" LOL
  8. Blizzard Beast

Oddometer:
    Bearings were changed because there was some rust in the area.

Throttle cable- One of them broke .The other's still working fine.

Brake pads- The mech told me that usual life was 3000 Km.
  9. ToesNose

ToesNose Adventurer

Oddometer:

HAHAHAHA yea you are totaly right wayniceguy! Over here instead of looking at the mirrors or over their shoulder they rely on the approaching vehicle or any vehicle in a blind spot to use their horn to make their presence known :eek1 Not only do they have their own unique driving style (which takes quite a bit of time to make heads or tails of) but they ALL communicate by horn...................

It really sux at 3am when you have someone passing another car infront of your home :becca

HONK! HONK!
  10. antonac

antonac Commuter

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at a C5 to commute with. I've read that the oil change procedure is kind of a pain - there are a bunch of gaskets to check and replace, etc. Can anyone comment on the routine maintenance experience? I'll be coming from a KLR, and I'd be putting on 200-500 miles a week so I'd hope these are as easy to work on...
  11. Blizzard Beast

Oddometer:

Routine maintenance is easy.I don't do it myself though.I get it done at my local Authorized service center,just a couple of miles from my home.

Service interval is 3 months/3000 Km.I don't remember seeing the service guys replacing lot of gaskets.Just one,maybe 2.Watching them do it,it seemed simple enough.
    For me the service cost usually comes out to be Rs 600-800 ie $ 15-20 including labour,washing/cleaning etc.
  12. antonac

antonac Commuter

Oddometer:
    Wow, if only... the bike itself costs three times as much in the U.S.. I'm guessing the hourly rate for most work would be in the neighborhood of 75-100USD.

I hope what they say about quality control being superior for export models is true enough to justify the difference in price.

What's really keeping me from buying this bike is the extra cost involved in the warranty. I am so far away from the closest dealer that it would be basically impossible to get service done unless I were provided a loaner bike. This would be unlikely, since it's primarily a Jeep dealership. I understand the value in a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty, but only if I can actually take advantage of it. Barring engine / transmission failure, which seems unlikely given the short but positive track record of this engine (and which would preclude me from getting the bike to the dealership anyway), replacing things like fuel sensors, indicators and other miscellaneous things under warranty would be a nuisance unless they would just ship me the part and compensate me for my time.

I actually did get the opportunity the weekend before last to take a G5 for a spin. I posted my impressions on the RE forum, but I'll quote them here since most of the perspectives on Enfields come from the cruiser and not dualsport crowd:

After thinking about it, my ideal would be ordering the bike to be freighted directly to me, do my own set-up, and purchase a minimal warranty. That, or try to find a used one a year or two down the road.
  13. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was interested in a RE for making a cafe racer type bike. I love the old school looks and general idea of it. I test rode a new one with the EFI and came away from it feeling sort of less enthusiastic. As I see it the price is the biggest detractor, it's too expensive for what it is. They are asking ~$6k for a new one.

[​IMG]

The bike rode OK and the FI works well. It shakes just like an old school thumper without the benefit of any counterbalancing. The gearbox works well and it goes about the basic functions reasonably well.

The problem I had with it was getting back on my '09 KLR650 which felt like a rocket powered magic carpet ride in comparison that only cost me $5.5k OTD (new) last year.

The overall finish on the RE isn't that grand either when compared to most other bikes out there, they are a bit crude in some areas.

Honestly, I felt the right price for the bike would be about $3.5-4k new, at least that's the price point that would make me interested in one. I'm not knocking it, I wanted to like it more. But it's very hard to justify at the price they are asking. Heck, it's made in a low cost country why is it so expensive? If I wanted a bike to ride for commuting etc. I'd pick up a bargain Versys for the same price and ride away laughing.

[​IMG]
  14. ToesNose

ToesNose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've researched it quite a bit and the new UCE engine is much different, it comes with a "E-Z oil cap" so it's no longer fusing with O-ring, Filter, O-ring, plate, O-ring, Washer, Spring, gasket, and cover with O-ring all in order and aligned with spring compressed to get bolts started. From what the majority of the RE owners are saying they basically change the oil and service their bikes themselves. Other then the oils changes most people just make sure that no nuts and fasteners come loose during the break in and make sure to have Loctite onhand for any that do come loose.

The overall quality for bikes made for India and export have greatly improved, the difference in price is for a number of things including a different emmisions system, recoupe cost of R&D on the new UCE engine (they didn't just redesign the engine they changed the entire manufacturing process), the cost to ship and such.
  15. Triumph Rider

Triumph Rider shut up and ride!

Oddometer:
    I have done a lot of research into to New C5. It is a solid motor with very good reviews... HVA's (Hydraulic Valves) and PGM-FI (Fuel Injection). Better suspension and electronics make it much easier to ride and enjoy. I am planning on buying one this year... just need to find a dealer near me that has one instock.
  16. ToesNose

ToesNose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey TriumphRider and welcome to the forums =)

Yea they've greatly improved the quality and dependability of the RE's. There are still alot of bikes that are dependable for less money, but they deffinately don't have the personality and classic looks of the C5 for sure :evil If your looking for something to get from point A to B as fast as you can, any RE just isn't a bike you should consider. It's the type of bike you want to feel and enjoy the ride on. LOL it's also not the type of bike you want if you don't enjoy talking to strangers, because you'll be getting alot of questions and comments from people everywhere you go.
  17. tatsago

tatsago Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi

I picked up a classic 500 a couple of weeks ago. Though these new bikes are a big improvement on the original, they still have a lot of quality and reliability issues. My bike had to go back to the dealer on the first day to fix some charging issues, which was later diagnosed as faulty connector for the rectifier.

The new engine is a lor smoother, and the PGM-FI was needed to meet emission regulations (Euro4 for domestic models and Euro 5 for export models). The frame has been modified to suit the new engine but retains the original single toptube design and you can feel it flexing under you. And of course there are a lot more after market tyre choices available for the 18" rear.
  18. ToesNose

ToesNose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hey Tatsago welcome to the forums and gratz on the bike!
    Are you in Bangalore, India? I was just there afew weeks ago :lol3
    Sorry to hear you had some problems right out of the gate with the new ride, but I'm sure they'll all get straightened out :clap
  19. YJake

YJake Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had my 2011 G5 for less than 2 weeks and have put 860 miles on it so far (Completely broken in per the manual).

My impressions have all been good. I really love the vintage ride and feel of the bike. It was very sluggish for the first 2-300 miles and then it began to "wake up" as they say. I have been commuting on the toll roads and interstate for the past few days and am doing fine. I average 65-68mpg (keep in mind the website's mpg estimates are based on imperial gallons and such).

The oil changes have been easy and I have had to retorque very few bolts since getting the bike.

-Jake
  20. ToesNose

ToesNose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very cool YJake!
    Glad to hear that you are enjoying your G5 :D
    Please keep us posted on it now that she's at the break in point :wink: