California Trials

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Muni59, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Seavoyage

Seavoyage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    San Francisco but mostly in Asia these days
    H - I figure that was your Sherco ST2.0 (formerly nwcycle's daughters bike). When the PITS guys see it with a Green Sticker they will be so jealous - and it will be worth much more. Jim and Allison mentioned they saw you on Saturday, we rode the British-American Cup on Sunday.

Call me if you want to ride this weekend - I'll round up the fellas, : undertheoaks, SVJ, and The_Toe_Cutter got their trial by fire first taste this weekend - it kicked my ass! My daughter and I have Green Sticker bikes; undertheoaks 2005 GasGas 280 is Green Sticker; SVJ's 2006 GsGas280 is Green Sticker, and I think The_Toe_Cutter GasGas 250 ECO has a Red sticker. Jim and Allison and the others you met up North don't even register their bikes. PITS members with unregistered bikes became an issue at the Prairie City event last month.

I'm fortunate to have a California street plated 2011 GasGas EC300 :evil . The others I ride with run plated KTM 200EXC or 300EXC 2-strokes. I sold my daughters plated KDX200 to fund her GasGas Pro200. Clay Stuckey, the North American GasGas Enduro importer, terminated the California dealer network in 2011.
    In the Trials context, LewisportUSA does import trials bikes into California.

Compliance with the legal requirements (CHP 888) are pretty straightforward.
    • A signed CA DMV REG256 acknowledging legal compliance with CHP888;
    • an official brake and light inspection performed by a certified location;
    • a VIN verification (to confirm the VIN 8th digit isn't a '3' or a 'C') and odometer reading (I mount a GPS or a bicycle computer) performed by the DMV;
    • and the appropriate CA DMV License Plate and Registration Fees
    is all that I've needed to get a CA Street Plate in legal accordance to Section 70 of the California DMV Registration Manual. Caveat Emptor: I'm not a dealer - and the above mentioned Manufacturer compliance (Required by the California Air Resource Board - C.A.R.B.) for emissions was not applied to me. I'm confident that we can get street plates on both my Gasser trials bikes if I pursued it.

In summary there are opportunities to ride trials in California regardless of if you have or do not have a California registered trials bike.

We just use California premium pump gas - no problem. The hydrophilic properties of Ethanol are well known, so I don't leave the gas sit in my tank for over a week. With trials fuel tanks holding less than 1 gallon; if I know I'm not going to use the gas within a week, I just drain it and use it in my truck.
  2. hmb

hmb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I feel really lucky to have gotten it registered with a green sticker. I ordered a spark arrestor a week ago and am still waiting for it. I can't go anywhere until it gets here. I contacted the place where I ordered it and the owner can't figure out why it hasn't come yet. I may go buy one I found locally, but that's another $40 on top of the $50 I already spent for the one I'm waiting for. It's already Tuesday and I only have a few more days of spring break.

I am not going to be here this Saturday. I will be in Hollister. I may go to Hollister Hills to ride, but I'm not sure. I'm going to Hollister to take my 87 year old dad skydiving. We were supposed to go yesterday, but the winds were too much. I will be here Sunday morning, but I have to be home by 12:30, so 8-11:30 for riding would work. I need help with the ride/stop/balance/ride without putting a foot down. I know it's a matter of time and practice, but I want to do it now.
  3. ADVCoop

ADVCoop Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is he an experienced skydiver or this on his "bucket list"? Either way that's awesome.
  4. hmb

hmb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    He's never been. I told him I was going and his eyes lit up like I've never seen since my mom was alive. I invited him to come along. We are jumping from 15,000 ft.
  5. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a blast... My brother and I did the low altitude indoor version out here at iFly Seattle. Was great and I am now considering adding the 15,000 ft jump to my bucket list. :evil

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TgJUI7QPJdE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  6. nwcycle

nwcycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Who ever keeps insisting about the 8th digit is WRONG !!!!
    It is the 8th digit going BACKWARDS !!!!
    or the 10th digit from left to right...................:deal That digit should have been a (3)

As far as getting or paying 50.00 for a spark arrestor.
    When we went to the Colorado national and I forgot mine, I went to the hardware store, bought a section of screen door repair kit. found a section of tube that is a bit larger than the tailpiece, and pounded it onto the tail pipe, works great
    cost $6.00
    Cut 2 big round pieces of screen, wrap around tail hole and tap on pipe, wanna make it look official?
    Paint it red
    All they do to check is stick a piece of wire to see if it is restricted.
    Dont forget to remove and clean in gas as they do get clogged rather easy.....

I am so happy the Bike worked out for you and title issues, seems that there are so many doubting Thomas' out there.
    Have a blast and do lots of wheelies !!!!
  7. hmb

hmb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did the indoor thing with my son. It was really fun. Make sure you blow your nose before your turn :lol3. I went for four minutes. Learned how to turn right/left, and go back and forth. If it didn't cost so much I would go back for more.

The problem is some of the local OHV places, the rangers look for the USFS stamp. No stamp? No ride. Some may stick something in the tailpipe, but the USFS stamp gets checked. The place near my house rarely checks though.

The 8th digit thing is checked from the left side here in CA. Right or wrong, it benefited me. If they read it as a "3" I would have been issued a red sticker. Not the end of the world, but a whole lot better the way it turned out.
  8. nwcycle

nwcycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap
    Have fun , Remember, anything you need. don't hesitate !!!!
  9. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey if you want to come to a good Trial. Try April 27th and the 28th.
    Chrome Ca. By willows. Best Trials around. It is a Pits Event and also AHRMA. both paying points. You could run into people like Dick Mann on Saturday. It is on private property and you don't need any sticker, except maybe a spark arrester. check out pictures of the rocky ridge Trial on the Pits web site. click on the picture and video tab.
    www.sactopits.org

I am the organizer for this event and it proves to be one of our best.

Hop-Sing
  10. Seavoyage

Seavoyage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    San Francisco but mostly in Asia these days
    Last week: success.:clap advising another one of our riders on how to register his 2010 GG 250 ECO...
    it isn't complicated, just follow the CA DMV Rule and Regulations.

In our small riding group, all of our bikes: GasGas or Sherco now have CA Green Stickers. 2 of them from out-of-state.

BTW - We just got approved for a Trials Specific thread on BARF: http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429312 Any BARFers out there that double as ADVrider Inmates, please contribute so we can get critical mass and attract new blood here in Northern Kalyfornya.