Blurry license plates...

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by nitsuj, Jun 17, 2012.

1. nitsuj

nitsuj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a question and don't know where to put it. It's not far enough off topic to go to Jo Mamma, and it doesn't pertain to any specific bike so it can't go in one of those sections. Since its a picture question, I'll stick it here. If ts the wrong place, please forgive me. Or don't, whatever.

Anyhow, when people take pictures of their bikes, they often cover OT blur their license plates. I'm wondering why that is. The plate on on the back of the bike for all the world to see. Thousands of people who live in the same town as you can see it everyday. But for pictures, it's a secret all of the sudden? Is there even a way for civilians to run a plate and get info on the bike and owner?

I only ask because I never bother to blur mine, so I'm just curious what motive I'm missing for doing do.
  2. wildlands1

wildlands1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    like who the f cares? my Wee's plate is "Lolita" by the way. so what?
  3. Antennas

Antennas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HA I always wondered this as well. It seemed to me folks were just being paranoid. Maybe not I don't know either.
  4. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    keeps people from being able to stalk you.

That's the theory.
  5. Antennas

Antennas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How is that? can anyone run a plate in the US?? You can't in Canada. So it's not an issue.
  6. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    Ya makes me wonder too? some guy's display there personal plates proudly... WTF... over?
  7. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    The DPPA applies, but a PI will do it for a legitimate reason. I've done it.
  8. OKlr

OKlr 25mph gate inpector

Oddometer:
    My job falls under the dlppa, i can't give any information out to any other person that i obtained from there dl file. (to dumb it down)
  9. EggChaser

EggChaser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the UK we get a lot of plate cloning onto other vehicles for various illegal reasons.

Whilst the scrotes doing this could easily just look outside for some plates, they probably try and avoid plates registered near where they live and looking around online for example plates (especially if you are trying to match a plate to a specific type of vehicle) is an easy option.

So if you are a vehicle owner, 2 minutes work for every photo containing your plate can be worthwhile as it minimizes the chance of your plate being used in this way and then getting a nasty surprise when the law comes calling. Yes if said scrote sees your vehicle on the road it can still happen so yes you can still get cloned, just reduces the chance.

Oh and some UK vehicle owners don't see the point and don't bother obscuring their plates in online images either - personally I usually do.
  10. Earl of Portchester

Earl of Portchester Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do you blur the numbers in pictures?
  11. mattjw916

mattjw916 never wears lip balm

Oddometer:
    photoshop, mspaint, etc...
  12. Piaf

Piaf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    By wearing very strong glasses or almost closing your eyes.......well it works for me :rofl
  13. woofer2609

woofer2609 Less flow, more Gnar

Oddometer:
    10-12 beers:1drink
    I don't understand why you'd blur them either
  14. hdatontodo

hdatontodo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you have a jpeg file open in a tool like irfanview, you can just highlight the numbers and select cut, then save the file with a black section where the numbers were.
  15. EggChaser

EggChaser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I usually use MS Paint, zoom in around the number plate and select some yellow to copy, then I paste it over the numbers and stretch the edges of of the pasted area so it neatly covers them all.
  16. Krypt Keeper

Krypt Keeper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I do it to hide my identity. :eek1

Sure while riding my plate is visible however my face is always hidden from view.

Could explain it more in detail but would have to use the cone of silence. :D
  17. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    It is silly.

It's harder than you think, at least since recent action in Minnesota to run a plate. I could not care less, bike dont register to my address anyway, and it's a KLR, who cares! It's insured!
  18. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doesnt mean much, since its not blurred in public where 100's of time more people see it.

Silly.
  19. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    you never know what kind of men you meet up on the internet. You can simply call your insurance tell them you had an accident with a guy, forgot to write down his number but you have his numberplate. I've done it once (was for a legitimate reason, but after thinking about it anyone could have done that...)
  20. Megamoto

Megamoto Yes, I do look like this.

Oddometer:
    You know...I think I've been here before.
    In the UK you can access the DVLA site and find out if the vehicle is registered.

You can then apply to the DVLA for the name and address that the vehicle is registered to.

On the grounds that 'They are always parking in front of my driveway.' Or any other plausable reason.............

(How do you think local councils, supermarkets and the like know where to send the 'fines'?)

You now have a name, registration number and address, you then apply to the DVLA with a change of owner and address because you've 'lost' the V5.

Your bike is now cloned.

The above is freely available public domain information and is often quoted in the UK press.

So don't give me a hard time, ok?