The rehabilitation of Sir Gustave Sebastian & the Supertanker

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    What is it with Gus & exhausts? The new SV mufflers seem to have gone missing in transit...:becca
    You're welcome. But I'm a slow learner - had visit the gravel on the wrong side of the road twice to figure that out.
  2. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Where from, trade me? What sizes are they? You reckon they might make good subs for the hard to find gsxr ones? The boys were giving me a hard time about the R1 pipe last nite. I really want to try to roll one myself & see what it goes like.
  3. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Yes. There are a heap of TL1000, GSX, SV & other mufflers that come up from time to time. These were only $40 + $20 freight. I was intending to sell off the right side (which the DR people might want) - because I was going to make up a 2 into 1 system closer to stock configuration.

The inlets measure 50mm I think. Things to think about are volume, & also robustness in the internal baffling. I don't want a noisy exhaust, & I don't want to be repacking it all the time.

NZ Post are trying to locate. They've been missing over a week now. Picked up & then magically disappeared into the ether...

I have a plan B. If that comes off & NZ Post does find the SV cans, I could flick them your way...
  4. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Plan B :D. 2001 Yamaha R1 can. Will be paying more than I wanted to on this...

[​IMG]
  5. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Ahhhh have you bought it already? if not think again as finding someone that can weld titanium (if needed) may be tricky & their chargeout rate will be double that of a normal welder.

I have a couple of R1 mufflers in the parts shelf.
  6. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Weld? Why would I do that? Here's a link into the guts of it. BTW, I (probably) won't be shortening it, like the guys in the link did. But I do want to turn the can around.
  7. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    How you gonna do that? Does the pipe line up with your existing pipe?
  8. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:

He watched that deusexmachina video you posted so he is going to attach it with an old garden tap and the copper pipe that it is attached to.
    Of course the pipe will be facing forwards and blowing fumes into his face but thats what art is all about.:deal
  9. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Yup.:wink:
  10. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    why do you want to ditch the std one steve.My collector box had a hole in it,and the whole system rattled.I though the rattling was the rust inside the collector box,hoever the rust was actaully in side the main muffler.I got a s/s y pipe from Damen and he cut the original muffler in half and redid the baffles in s/s too.The original baffles are steel.It was nt cheap but i like the std muffler cos its so tucked in
  11. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    The headers got holed (age), & the muffler didn't appreciate the effort I put in to do a repair job to that. My welding on thin wall stainless exhausts sucks. Should have farmed the job out.

Postscript 06/11. The SV exhausts turned up today. Only 2 wks late. No issues with the addressing. I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't chased via the tracking no? Nothing?
  12. msmckeon

msmckeon Just ahead of the sweeps

Oddometer:
    That is good to know. My R80GS muffler is rattling like this also. I guessed it was the inernals breaking loose due to corrosion and fatigue. I like the approach you took, re-use/re-cycle and keeps the money spent on "replacing" the muffler in the local community - well done that man.

Michael
  13. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    A lot of people say that the standard exhaust pipe has the best performance. I too like it. It looks different to all the others and is pragmatic.
  14. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    he also redid(he is Damen at Cycleworks) the muffler so its got just a wee bit more "tone" than the original:norton
  15. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    No photos today.

The day was fairly fine, but spoiled by a blustery northerly. This weeks weather has been spotless, so for it to pack up in the weekend is truly annoying.

This afternoon Mandy & I took Gus down for a WoF at Adelaide Rd. The guy testing remembered Gus from the last check. No issues this time. We met an old friend Matt Smith there. We haven’t seen him for 5 or so years. He rocked up on a K1200RS, 139k kms. Good to catch up. Matt’s partner, Tina, grew up with Mandy, & she used to be Secretary with Bears at PNth. Tina has an R65, which she now owned 20 yrs or so now. We must get round to see their new house.

Once we had that out the way we headed out to coffee at the Oriental Parade Café at the old Tugboat (there had to be a payback for Mandy) :D.

Decided on a ‘Round The Bays’ excursion, ending at Red Rocks. Challenged Mandy to a ride round to Devils Gate. Probably the roughest that I’ve seen it. There'd obviously been a mountain bike race & we saw the last of them coming out. And also maybe a 4WD event - there was a heap driving out. Once we got to Devils Gate, there was only one seal hauled out – and that was our lot. But Mandy enjoyed the ride aside from one small portion that I made her walk - a detour around a portion of the track that had been undercut by the tide. That portion was just too loose for the weight of us both & the state of Gus’s tyres.

The weather packed up on the way home.

Still haven’t got the carburetion right…
  16. bart-nz

bart-nz Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're doing better than me. My thing's still sitting in the shed with large chunks of the Makairo hanging off it. Not much time for riding these days.

How dare you go out without a camera.:huh
  17. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:

If that`s Adelaide Road, Newtown, I lived at number 187 many years ago, opposite John Street. Just a bit of trivia that has absolutely nothing to do with this thread whatsoever. :D
  18. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Cool you got a bit of offroadish stuff & a coffee with the better half - nice. I spent the best of the day waterblasting the back deck ready for a bbq last nite - we had an amazing sunny perfect riding day. Now outside the window the northerly has crept in with lite bit of drizzle & I have to take the girls to Nippers...

Still it may get better this avo when I have Poppa time :D

These long warm sunny evenings have been awesome these last couple of weeks:clap

Do you think the sv's will fit?
  19. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Anything will fit - with a bit of work

I need to stay off Trade me. Bought a set of new Elco valve guides. Still need (at least) some new exhaust values. Also...

[​IMG]

Still need the output flange puller

I see Gus's tank & tacho have made Tme again...

Also, a link from the BAD Facebook group for your viewing pleasure
  20. Voltaire

Voltaire Triumphant.

Oddometer:
    Good Score.... I think we used a bar that had an old flange on it with bolts thru to hold the flange whilst undoing the nut. Can't remember if fancy puller was used....there was heat used to remove the cover.