Looking to buy a touring bike in Portugal

Discussion in 'Europe' started by mk810, Nov 20, 2013.

1. mk810

mk810 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello,

I am planning a motorcycle camping/adventuring trip through Europe. I recently discovered this forum and thought it would be a good place to post this.

If there is anyone who is finishing a Euro tour and would like to sell me their bike for cheap, I would love to hear offers. In addition, if there is anyone in Portugal who could help me buy a touring bike without getting ripped off, I would be very grateful.

Any other tips on finding places to camp, thoughts on little ways to make money!

If there is anyone who can help me achieve my goal, that would be great.
  2. LeDakaR!

LeDakaR! Banned

Oddometer:
    route66moto.com San Francisco CA/ Austin, Texas
    hey;
    im not in portugal, but in france, just moved there from California
    if i can help in any ways let me know
    good luck

license and insurance questions; whats your plan?
  3. NickW909

NickW909 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you need to buy a Portuguese registered bike? If not dont buy in Portugal, bikes are generally more expensive there.
    Would look at Spain or France, you should find a better deal.

Nick
  4. LeDakaR!

LeDakaR! Banned

Oddometer:
    then i can help ya in france
  5. mk810

mk810 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

No real need for a Portuguese bike, I just found cheap plane tickets there and wanted the bike to start my journey. I thought bikes would actually be cheap there...

I'm kind of backing out because of the hassle with registering, insurance, and all that other paperwork. The carnet for going in and out of countries. Plus the costs keep adding up.

And I just have a regular US driver's license that I was going to just show if they stopped me. I'm not going to go crazy and be reckless, it would just be transportation, so I didn't think anyone would care. I was thinking maybe get a motorcycle license in EU, but I would be limited to 125 or something, which isn't bad as I'm on a very tight budget too.

I was going to have travel medical insurance and buy 3rd party motorcycle insurance in each country.

Again, I'm on a budget, so I would need a cheap bike if you have.

Thanks again.

PS: If you need help at your shop, I would be more than happy to work my ass off for a bit

Sorry for the rant
  6. LeDakaR!

LeDakaR! Banned

Oddometer:
    hey dude, no worries, but money issues suck...
    HOWEVER as everyone will tell you on this site, when it comes down to following your dream , just go for it!
    dont give up, if this is your one opportunity to ride the world, do it

money comes and goes, sell your shit, get some money together, buy the cheapest bike you find etc... it all adds up to make it work

im in france, not close but not too far, if i can help, i will.
    just dont give up, rent a bike, find a biker buddy on here thats closer to where you will be, see if you can rent/borrow that bike etc....

im a broke poor son of a bitch, i still get to go do whatever the fuck i want.
    MAKE IT WORK!