Usa Tor

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by RC Pilot, May 3, 2010.

1. shuey

shuey Shuey

Oddometer:
    The first order of business is getting some hot grub, so after a quick hop across the bridge into Destin proper, McGuire's is a good spot for a light snack.
    [​IMG]

Some bread and a bowl of Senate Bean Soup . . . ahhhhhh - yummy.
    [​IMG]
  2. shuey

shuey Shuey

Oddometer:
    With full tummy and a steady North wind to keep the clouds at bay out in the Gulf . . . time for a little local area orientation for my traveling companions before heading back to the barn.
    [​IMG]

We'll tuck in for the weekend, watch the SuperBowl while eating some junk food then head North somewhere on Monday or Tuesday. Stay tuned . . .

Shuey
  3. motomac

motomac Mac

Oddometer:
    I take it the bridge to Destin was a bit more ice free than the bridge in Niceville! Nice grab, I was grittin' my teeth crossing the bridge in Niceville when I left this AM. New ride rolled over 1K before the TX line.
  4. shuey

shuey Shuey

Oddometer:
    It was a good spot, although . . . I did have a brief moment of concern when I initially stopped and couldn't find them. The past 3 days of ice and winds had blown the bag around a little with some debris on top.

As I turned to leave, thinking they'd already been picked up, I thought I could hear their muffled cries for help. All's well that ends well.

Shuey

PS: When I return home, maybe we can get together to share a bite to eat somewhere? Would enjoy meeting. :)
  5. shuey

shuey Shuey

Oddometer:
    Glad you made it out ok Mac.
    Mac, since the Mid-Bay and Destin bridges had been closed early they hadn't had any traffic packing the ice AND unlike the Niceville bridge, neither of these have any trees or anything else blocking the sun. By this afternoon, at 55 degrees, they were all clear. No ice and no sand.

Safe travels my friend,
    Shuey
  6. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:
    Same here! I am semi retired so anytime is great with me.

Be careful out there.

Glad Nutzy got to eat at McGuire's. Great place in Destin.
  7. tony the tiger

tony the tiger Long timer

Oddometer:
    secret owner of a Parmesan cheese factory
    :yum:dg
  8. forrestrider

forrestrider Dont Do Stupid Shit..

Oddometer:
    Once more The Cav. arrives in the Nick of Time.
    Scouts Out.
  9. shuey

shuey Shuey

Oddometer:
    OK, ok, no comments so far wondering why I'm dallying around, well . . . I've been out racing rain and ice storms in TN and just returned a couple hours ago. What an adventure!

Both nuts have been dropped, but . . . not together anymore! Which may create a problem, so before posting the drops, I'll suggest a naming convention otherwise it might be tough to scroll back through the most recent posts to find either nut individually.

I'll start my posts with the first line naming the nut being discussed. I'll use "Nutsy" for the white nut (and an affinity for aircraft, go figure) and "Patriot Nut" for the mustachioed Uncle Sam impressionist. Next I'll put the new location information, followed by the pics and story.

All ya'll can discuss and rename them if you like. If so, I'll be glad to go back and correct the names on the next two posts.

OK, the next posts will be up as soon as I can process pics and . . . you know, post! :)

Shuey
  10. shuey

shuey Shuey

Oddometer:
    "Nutsy"

5206 Galliver Cut-Off, Baker, FL
    N 30.75498, W 086.69633

Departed on Monday (3Feb14) with temps in the 60s and both nuts just nagging, nagging, nagging to get on the road. So, we're off, heading to Memphis. Now, along the way we found a guy who has a Russian Mig27 as a lawn ornament! It wasn't to far up the road, but is this cool or what!
    [​IMG]

I was able to talk with the owner for a few minutes and the background story is that he bought the Mig (East German) at a government surplus sale for $1,000. It was delivered and he and some friends put it together. At the same auction he also bought a US F-4 Phantom for $1,500, but after it was delivered he was contacted and instructed not to touch anything on the F4 as it had been sold by mistake. It was promptly picked back up. Nose to nose in his yard it would have been really awesome.
    [​IMG]

In any case, his side of the road is well maintained and so Nutsy insisted on stopping here to admire the plane and decided to hide out across the street from the "55" mph sign by his fence. Just to the right of the corner fence post.
    [​IMG]

Look into the woods, not very far, and there's a big piece of concrete mostly buried in the leaves. Nutsy is resting just behind it, in a ziplock bag and a note (that you'll see a copy of in the next post).
    [​IMG]

Here's the view from the edge of the road.
    [​IMG]

Although Nutsy just insisted on staying with the Mig for awhile, Patriot really wasn't interested and wanted to ride some more to something a little more . . . well, you know . . . patriotic!

Shuey
  11. shuey

shuey Shuey

Oddometer:
    "Patriot"

The Hermitage (President Andrew Jackson's Home)
    4580 Rachels Ln‎
    Nashville, TN 37076
    Patriot is at the entrance, corner of Rachels Ln and Hermitage Rd
    N 36.21314, W 086.61838

Wow, what a ride. After arriving in Memphis as the rain started and the temps dropped into the 20s we pulled in for the night. The next day it was 33 and raining as we departed with colder temps and an ice storm chasing East behind us. It stayed 33 and raining for the next 9 hours and we pulled in again before the temps dropped. Great ride, beautiful ice sculpted trees lining the roads and grassy sides while the pavement remained wet, no ice. Couldn't take any pics at the several spots Patriot had in mind, so . . . delayed.

Colder temp next day, but . . . there had been a break during the night, rain had stopped and roads dried. Yaaa Hoooo!

As we continued heading East, Patriot kept bending my ear about finding a patriot to celebrate and then we saw a sign for The Hermitage, President Andrew Jackson's home.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had a great tour of the home but didn't stick around to tour the out buildings. Now, looking for a place to drop and . . . The Hermitage is squeaky clean and no low lying bushes, so we went back out to the entrance and found our spot.

Catycorner across the street from the sign are two evergreen bushes.
    [​IMG]

Here's a better distance pic showing the bushes. Just left of center.
    [​IMG]

Closer
    [​IMG]

Here's Patriot with his ziplock bag and ADV note. Cudos to the original author for including it.
    [​IMG]

Between the bushes is a rotting log. Patriot is hunkered down behind it, not buried.
    [​IMG]

Here's Patriot's view of the corner.
    [​IMG]

OK, that's it. Hopefully something for everyone to make plans for.

I'm good at taking constructive criticism, so if you think there's to many pics, words, or whatever . . . have at it, I'll adapt.

Shuey
  12. motomac

motomac Mac

Oddometer:
    You decided to split them, good deal. With the pictures you posted, I think I could find either of them if I decided to come east again. That won't be until Moonshine in April, hopefully they will have been moved a couple of times by then!
  13. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:
    Glad you split them up. Twice the fun.

Just the right amount of pics. :clap

I added the note just in case :eek1

Where will they go next.
  14. KingJarhead

KingJarhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great write ups and tagging!!!!!
  15. tony the tiger

tony the tiger Long timer

Oddometer:
    secret owner of a Parmesan cheese factory
  16. motomac

motomac Mac

Oddometer:
    Bump!!!
  17. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:
    Yea when is someone gonna grab these nutz!

I may go get little Nutz if someone doesn't get it soon. Got some Eastern Florida rides coming up and I may plant him at a covered bridge or something!
  18. shuey

shuey Shuey

Oddometer:
    :snore

So, Vic . . . when you head'in East?

Shuey
  19. Patrick46

Patrick46 visionary

Oddometer:
    Hump-D-Bump!!

GAME ON!!! :clap
  20. 5punksdad

5punksdad Tag-Master-Flash

Oddometer:
    I just noticed how far apart the nutz were dropped......:clap

both are slightly out of my reach this time of year. There must be an inmate nearby these drops who can get them moving?