New Owners - Stupid Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by HighFive, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a look at these, they don't appear to be built super strong. Where do they get this extra strength from?

I used some Cycra ones on one of my other bikes and they seem to be built a lot stronger than the Barkbusters. I haven't binned it hard enough to test them yet. But I have destroyed a couple of sets of Barkbusters. Plus about 5 sets of handlebars, on my other bikes.
  2. grndzr0

grndzr0 its Ground Zero

Oddometer:

It looks like heavier material.... It seems I saw some pictures somewhere of a side by side of the HDB and the barkbusters, and the HDBs were heavier, However, I could be mistaken.

Ryan
  3. machinebuilder

machinebuilder Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the extra strength comes from the way they bolt to the bar end and then the bar clamp. I've only seen 1 set on a bike and they are beautiful. I thought they're a bit pricier than I wanted to spend.

I have some cheaper ones with an aluminum bar that i made some bar ends so they'd work with the grips. I haven't tweaked the bars yet and the levers are well protected:D
  4. DoWorkSon

DoWorkSon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What does the talc powder do?
  5. runnin4melife

runnin4melife Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Talc acts as a barrier between the tube/tire, aids in reduction of friction and reduced vulcanization of the rubber. A tire/tube combo generates a fair amount of friction when driving and this reduces the chances of a tube failure, and permits the removal of a tube without destroying it. Some people say it doesn't do anything but I have had tubes fixed to the tire when a shop didn't use talc on a tire change.
  6. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    +100 on the talc!

Some of the inner tubes are slightly tacky out of the box or at best are not slippery....

The talc also helps make sure the inner tube can slide around inside the tire and get "settled" when mounting and inflating the tube ... I strongly recommend it!
  7. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    Glad you've found it helpful.

Once upon a time....not so very long ago, I just needed a few questions answered. Never imagined it would turn into this. I'm still taking notes!

Good stuff,

HF :thumbup
  8. SansSand

SansSand Dirty Smile

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone cycra and barkbusters are what I was looking at...seems like my heated grips may cause issues. Will keep you all posted.
  9. SansSand

SansSand Dirty Smile

Oddometer:
    Went with storm barkbusters but the SW engine guard
  10. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why is my temperature gage blinking when it is below 39°F on my 800GS?:ear
    As memories serve in the manual it is warning for ICE condition? Correct me if I am wrong :evil
    Thanks in advance

ADV Rock :super
  11. proeasy

proeasy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't have a GS but must be a German thing as my Audi and VW blink on the dash when temp hits 39 deg. Lurking here may pull the trigger on a F800GS.

Paul O
  12. toowheels

toowheels on a mission...

Oddometer:
    Yes you are correct that's exactly what it is saying...well actually it's cold and a possibility of ice. Mine flashes at 3*C though :lol3 and hasn't stopped flashing for a few days now.

Turn the grips up and enjoy the ride!

Dave
  13. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is warning you of possible ice. A road can have black ice at that temp. The closes I have ever come to crashing was at 40 degrees when I hit black ice with water on top. It was a shady area that never saw sun in the winter. It was 40 degress for several hours. That was enought to melt the top layer of ice, but the pavement and lower ice was still below freezing.
  14. 4TooMany

4TooMany Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In other words, the blinking is just another idiot light that if relied upon could get you killed.
  15. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is correct. Kind of like the warnings on a hair drier that says don't use in the shower.
  16. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    It flashes to get your attention that it is cold enough for ice to be on the road. I do not know how that endangers your life.

There could be an idiot involved in the process. :nod
  17. 4TooMany

4TooMany Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, if you need a light to blink to tell you when it's cold (on a motorcycle, no less) you are an idiot.
  18. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    Ooooooooooooooooohhhh.

Now I feel stupid. This is what I told my GF when she got her new bike:

Her: "What does the flashing snowflake mean?" (it was snowing)
    Me: "It's the new weather forcasting feature option, If you see a flashing raindrop, pull over and put your suit on".
    Her: Blink, blink, blink (computing) "Really?"
    Me: "Really. Nuthin but the best for you Honey."

:D
  20. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    How do feel about ABS and ASC? If you need those gizmos you should not be ridiing a mortorcycle:rofl

It is a flashing light. Don't need it, ignore it. I fail to see how it puts any one in danger. Mine comes on at 37 degrees apparently. Stupid light.

About as accurate as my gas gauge.

I am yanking his chain. I look at the farkle list and notice that a lot of rider priorities are things like big windscreens, electrical boxes to hook up things like heated gear. The bike has heated grips. Maybe those riders need some warning it is cold outside. I see no harm in a warning and being BMW I don't rely on it.