ZUMO 350 Freezing

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Travex, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Are you sure that an update has been released?
  2. Travex

Travex Lost is found

Oddometer:
    No. It would stand to reason that if they were furnishing a currency converter that there would be a seamless update (assumed it should happen with any update) as it is such volatile data. eg, Learning the exchange rate between $1.00 U.S. v Canada from September 2011 is of no use to any traveler.

I'm really trying to like the 350, perhaps just trying to justify it's exorbitant price... But it keeps putting up a fight.
  3. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Currency conversion is too volatile for any sort of app to be of any use. You could have checked before you went in the bank but by the time you get to the counter it is likely to be different. The info in the app (even IF current) is the big boy to big boy rate, we mere peons don't get that rate anyway.
  4. Travex

Travex Lost is found

Oddometer:
    Good point. But seeing they put it there they should have a convention in place to keep it updated so we have an approx value.
  5. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Are we sure that the unit does not pull data from some outside source for the rates?
  6. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Satellite data? If they did that, then updates should be automatic as well, by-passing our internet-based computers.
  7. Travex

Travex Lost is found

Oddometer:
    We most certainly are not.

That would be great but I don't know if the technology supports it. Odd that they'd put that in there w/o a clear or seamless means of update.
  8. Travex

Travex Lost is found

Oddometer:
    Another day, another problem.

Had a very nice ride through the Allegheny National Forest in PA today. When I was about 175mi (furthest point from home), I thought that the ride was so good that I'd go back the way I came so I used the Track Back App. Nope.
    It calculated for several minutes then offered up a pop-up error stating that it could not calculate the route. Once OK'd, that was followed by the red "Stop" option being visible on the map screen, although no waypoint or destination was set.

Just trading one mistake for another with this damn thing. Not that the Track Back app is a big deal to me, but I have used it on occasion and it was handy. Now I'm learning not to count on that any more.

Glad I didn't buy a cheap GPS... I'd be having all kinds of trouble.
  9. Meff

Meff half way there...

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear of your continued struggles with your unit Travex, sounds like you may just have a lemon of a unit on your hands. I appreciate your diligence in documenting and tweaking your 350 along with others in this thread, it has helped me a lot in making my decision (best of an otherwise bad batch of GPS choices in my view) Maybe simply by lowering my expectations on what to expect from the device....

I've done 2000 miles in the last 4 days on mine without so much as a hiccup and am very happy with my 350. I have another 3000 miles to go on my current trek, and will post further on my experience with the unit as I gain it.
  10. Travex

Travex Lost is found

Oddometer:
    Thanks for chiming in Meff.

"best of an otherwise bad batch of GPS choices" really does say it all.

In my case I bought it as it's been several years since my last (450) and you know how technology marches faster than time. On paper (and until I did my 1st update) this is/was a great GPS. I hope it continues to serve you perfectly on your ride and every one after.

What version are you running / are you using fuel tracking / is autozoom enabled / 3D view / etc?
  11. saito

saito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    went for a ride yesterday, worked just fine.

V2.7
    2D
    no fuel tracking (my bike does that just fine)
    autozoom enabled
  12. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Considering the problem Travex stated is likely a software issue, the term "lemon" would apply to ALL Zumo 350's. :D
  13. Travex

Travex Lost is found

Oddometer:
    With fuel calc enabled there were no failures in over 300mi so far today. In fact, the fuel feature now includes a nifty yellow top banner cautioning end of tankful with a sliding animation that also worked properly and smoothly. Routing to my destination was normal and auto-zoom also worked properly. I'm not going to count my chickens quite yet, but it appears I may finally be getting the product I bought over a year ago. Could this be? Is it finally exiting BETA?
  14. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Let's hope so!

I am just back from a 1746 mile backroads trip using the 350 as my primary nav and a Montana as a rolling topo map. I had 2 issues:

1. The 350 randomly powered completely off at least twice. Holding down the power button brought it back up and navigating my route like nothing happened.

2. One of the spring loaded pins on the power cord in the mount started randomly sticking in the down position, causing loss of power and consequent half brightness screen. If I removed the gps and poked the pin, it would pop back out and do its job. This meant stopping, so through trial and error I found that if I grasped the unit and wiggled it clockwise and counter clockwise that this would cause the spring pin to pop back out.

I spoke with Garmin support yesterday and they are sending me a replacement power cord. They don't know if the shut-downs that I experienced are related to the stuck spring pin or not, so want me to see how it goes. If it continues to randomly power down with the new cord, I am to call them back. I rode something like 8-10 hours each day except one, so two shut-downs were not a huge issue, but I do want to make sure it doesn't keep happening.
  15. saito

saito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    leaving saturday for a 2 week trip, first trip with my 350, lets hope it'll work as i hope it will :) I'll report my findings.
  16. Travex

Travex Lost is found

Oddometer:
    Interesting problem. I'd have thought that the unit would've exhibited it's default behavior of prompting you to cancel the power down (or not) at loss of power... Same as turning off the ignition if you're wired that way. Sounds like you're right and the cable is the culprit.

Seems to me that after the latest update you should be in great shape for your 1st 350 use. Bon voyage! :beer
  17. Travex

Travex Lost is found

Oddometer:
    Meant to comment on your post earlier and forgot... Sorry. You're right I think.
  18. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Well, I cannot swear on a stack of bibles that it did not display the prompt you mention, however, it seemed that whenever it lost external power, it gave me a little BEEP of audio (which I have wired into my helmet) that would cause me to look down at it, whereupon I would see that dialog and tell it to keep running. The times that I found it to be off, I do not recall getting a beep, so can't be sure what happened exactly. It will bear watching.
  19. Travex

Travex Lost is found

Oddometer:
    To my thinking you're still going in the right direction as infrequent power downs have not been a regular problem to have crossed my path during considerable searching of things 350. Certain you know, but the contacts at the power-side are equally important.
  20. hoadie72

hoadie72 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't read much of this thread but thought I'd chime in.

I bought my first unit around August last year and it worked faultlessly until I did a software update just before Christmas. After that, it'd freeze just about every time I'd ride. So typically twice a day. I put up with it for a while, hoping it was a software issue, and after working with Garmin, ended up getting it replaced under warranty in March.

The replacement unit failed within 2 days and I put up with it for about two months, but with a bid trip coming, I decided to get it replaced, so late May I was given another replacement. This unit worked faultlessly for my 3 weeks away. The only thing different between this unit and the first two is that I've left it on the original software version - I'm not convinced the issue is hardware.