Malles Motos - Dakar

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Trang, Jan 12, 2011.

1. PPiA

PPiA Pete

Oddometer:
    This one? 2006.

[​IMG]
  2. stormsearcher

stormsearcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    yes HIM. who is this guy?looks right out of a 1979 dakar rally pic.
    what the pic says is more important than a fast cool looking bike is attitude and intelligence in a rally like the dakar.
    drum brakes,2 shocks in the rear but not much to go wrong in that bike and i suppose everything can be fixed with a hammer and a screwdriver.
    my hat( helmet) off to him!
  3. stormsearcher

stormsearcher Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. PPiA

PPiA Pete

Oddometer:
  5. stteve

stteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    His new website http://www.hennovanbergeijk.nl/

He has been involved in various other rallies after the 2006 Dakar, but than always used more modern machines.
  6. WildeBees

WildeBees n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello Guys, good reading about the MM, also interested in the Dakar and in the same position as you Tau. Would also like to know what the dimentions are of those two Elf boxes in the beginning of the tread, like to get simmilar made up to make sure everything fits. Hope someone can help.
  7. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are 'Pierre Henry' boxes, http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430005

80x40x35cm
  8. WildeBees

WildeBees n00b

Oddometer:
  9. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Don't know if you guys get VMX magazine but in the current issue there is a article on an XT that completed another Rallye (the name escapes me) and also one on the Bultaco that did Dakar this year.
  10. Newner

Newner Buffering

Oddometer:
    Bump, for a magical thread.
    This is a great subject, I was wondering:

Do they still allow Malles Moto?

Do we have any inmates participating in this years in Malles Moto?

How much money will a participant save by competing Malles Moto?

Do you have to apply and be accepted to race MM?

Did Tau Anvil participate in 2012?

Curiosity has the best of me, perhaps all of these question can be answered in another thread or site. Feel free to point me that direction if you happen to know.

Thanks,
    Newner
  11. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    In order as much as I can...

1. Yes, they still have a Malle Moto category, although this year (2014) it is limited to just 20 places.

2. Not sure if he is an inmate here, but Paul Jay (UK) is riding Malle Moto this year, having crashed out early on in Dakar 2013 - he has elected to return this year in Malle Moto (to save money - see below...) https://www.facebook.com/paul.jay3?fref=ts&ref=br_tf

3. Going with an independent service team will cost in the region of €12,000-14,000 Euros for full support. Malle Moto costs just €500 on top of your basic entry fee to ASO.

Although on the face of it a substantial saving, in previous years in South America, the 'problem' has been that you've actually needed two sets of everything - spares, tools, sleeping kit, wheels and tyres - as there were two support trucks that carry your gear and leap-frog each other from bivouac to bivouac... so there was a lot of extra (and potentially unnecessary) expense - particularly if you decided you need a spare engine, or rather two!

This year however, the logistics/distances between the Bivouac's means there is a single dedicated Malle Moto truck that will carry the rider's gear each day - however, I imagine it means that the truck will have to leave early (so you'll have to be up really early to load your gear), and potentially arrive later in the day, depending on the distances involved - although these days [in South America] on the whole the service/assistance route is considerably shorter time-wise than the stage + liaison the competitors have to drive, so the truck ought to be there by the time you get in.

The real 'cost' of Malle Moto is your own personal attrition... when everything is going well, you get in late afternoon, service your bike for an hour or so, have a shower, something to eat, go to the briefing at 8pm, mark your roadbook, and get your head down in good time...

However, the problem/s start if you are late in for any reason, and especially if you then have any serious work to do on the bike - then you can end up missing all of the above, and barely getting any sleep until you have to be up again to load your gear on the truck and get back on your bike...

The knock-on effect of this is that you are tired the following day, more likely to make mistakes, and so are late/r in again, and the 'snowball effect' continues until you either time out or drop/crash out through exhaustion.

Therefore, having someone to work on your bike (with all the tools, spares and knowledge required) cannot be under estimated - leaving you free each evening to shower, eat, mark up your road book and most importantly sleep as much as you can...

Similarly, a 'team' atmosphere can help your moral in general, while little things like having your tent/camp set up already, someone having scoped out the layout of the bivouac facilities, and someone to greet you with a cold drink when you get in are a huge boost... especially as you are likely to be pretty wired after a long day.

4. Yes, for 2014 onwards, you have to apply specifically for one of the 20 Malle Moto places available. I imagine [in addition to your general application] you would have to show you have the initiative, knowledge and stamina to be able to manage without mechanical support.

On the surface it may appear to offer a more [financially] realistic way to enter what is a very expensive event; but while appreciably cheaper than going with a service team, it is certainly not an easy option... I recall Simon Pavey said to me in 2011 - "Malle Moto is for people who have got [at least] one finish under their belt, and are looking for a new challenge!"

5. Not sure if Tau Anvil was in 2012 - perhaps someone else can confirm?

Jx
  12. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    this photo says it all

[​IMG]
  13. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    One bike, one box, one rider

:clap:clap:clap
  14. Åmme

Åmme Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And in my opinon this is DAKAR
  15. bleaknessengine

bleaknessengine Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1
    :clap
  16. nicogc

nicogc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1
    If i ever make it, i think this is the way i would like to enter.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9500 mediante Tapatalk
  17. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    I think Tau's entry got knocked back from memory.
  18. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
  19. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fred Millet #188 (Inmate "fimp")
    From the Pre-Event/lead-up thread:
    [​IMG]

and
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Wyvern

Wyvern Long timer

Oddometer:
    The www.Dakar.com site has a LOT of info ... if you dig in you can even find the regulations .

YES Malles Motos are still part of the dakar

Here is a link to the PDF rules

http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2014/docs/reglement-moto-quad-dakar-2014-US-200913.pdf

a little from the regs 37P4 “MALLES MOTOS” CHALLENGE (BIKE TRUNKS)
    1) Transport of 1 trunk and 2 wheels is for Bike / Quad Rider without Service only. All infractions will
    result in Disqualification.

2) At the Bivouac, it is mandatory for the Rider registered in the “Malles Motos” Challenge to set up
    and make all/any service and repairs in the “Malles Motos” reserved area.

3) Time Card management
    At any arrival from the Road Section TC or Selective Section Finish TC (when there is no Road
    Section to get to the Bivouac), the Rider will give his Time Card to the marshal in charge. The
    marshal will give the Rider his Time Card back with his time of arrival written down.
    Then, the Rider will imperatively have to give his Time Card to the “Malles Motos” responsible at
    arriving in the dedicated area.

4) After having informed the “Malles Motos” responsible, the Rider will be able to take his Machine
    out of the area to realise certain operations:
     With the Dakar Service Centre sponsors (tyres, oil, etc.)
     But also to weld, do repairs, clean and conduct tests with his Machine.
    In case of litigation, the supervising official will make a written statement to the Officials with the
    time of absence and the reasons.

62/117 Bike – Quad Regulations / Dakar 2014 www.dakar.com

5) If it proved that the type of intervention does not conform to this Article and/or that the
    Challenge spirit is not respected, the Rider will be excluded for the Challenge Classification.

6) The trunk and 2 wheels must be handed over before the start of the race:

Once you download the PDF you can do an easy search just "control" - "F" the word MALLES