Commute to Work? ATGATT

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by ride on joe, Dec 4, 2010.

1. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ATGATT saved me on my commute. My beloved GSA didn't survive the experience. All of the details are detailed in this thread.

I found a closet at work and keep my work shoes in it and hang my gear when I get to work. The gear goes over the work clothes.
  2. ultrachrome

ultrachrome Poser

Oddometer:
    ATGATT. Commute year round 14mi each way. Work from home if it is >90F or <30F w/ precipitation.

I wear my ultra business casual clothes (jeans) under my 1-pc Roadcrafter. Keep a pair of street shoes at work but often don't bother removing my boots out of laziness.

In cooler weather I wear a primaloft jacket. Below 50F I use a Gerbings heated jacket and a fleece neck gaiter or balaclava. Keep a fleece jacket at work.

On rainy days, I bring an extra set of gloves so I have a dry pair for the ride home.

On hot days, I'll strip to my undershirt for the ride home and wear a Buff soaked in cold water around my neck.

Laptop/lunch in an Aerostich messenger bag. If I exercise at work, I bring those clothes and running shoes in a tank bag. Leave a camp towel and a bottle of Dr. Bronners at work.

Today, we had a surprise thunderstorm during morning commute. Should have packed an extra pair of underwear. Roadcrafters can leak in the crotch during heavy rain.
  3. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    all gear on all the time!

I just into my one piece suit (aero stich or infinity) wearing my work clothes. I wear boots and keep a pair of shoes in my office.

when it's really hot I wear my 2 piece textile/mesh and change in my office.

back pack (plus tank bag as needed)
  4. Socratease

Socratease Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ATGATT every day. I have a spare pair of tennis shoes I keep at the office to swap with my boots for the day, but otherwise I wear my office clothes (casual) underneath and hang up the protection in my office. Electrics help to keep the bulk down on cold days, but not much I can do on hot ones except sweat. Backpack is a nice day hike one with a built-in waterproof pull-over sack for heavy rain. I also keep a spare pair of undies and socks in a drawer in case of unexpected rain on the way in.
  5. Sir Not Appearing

Sir Not Appearing That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer:
    Although I try to be ATGATT as often as I can, it is just not practical for me to do so. I commute from Job #1 to Job #2 which is about a 13-mile ride one-way (Job #1 is across the street from my house). Job #2 is an office job working in customer service for a corrugated sheet company. There is no real dress code, but I wear what I wear while I'm teaching in addition to gloves, jacket, helmet, and boots.

The route I usually take is a county road that I'm lucky if I ever see another car for the first 11 miles. I understand there are other things that could happen, but for me eliminating other drivers from my path helps balance out the fact that I don't wear riding pants on my commute. I know others are strictly ATGATT, but I'm fine with that risk if it allows me to still have time to ride.
  6. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    I don't often ride to work, but when I do I just wear my textile gear over my clothes and keep it in my office. But I don't wear nice clothes at work (machine shop) so meh.
  7. Velocibiker

Velocibiker Adventure Antagonist

Oddometer:
    Try a cool vest. It gets pretty hot here and if I feel the need to ride to work when it's 100 (or worse) during the summer, that vest is the ticket. I just stuff it in the office fridge to keep it charged and ready when I head home.
  8. MADurstewitz

MADurstewitz MADMark

Oddometer:
    Full ATGATT. I change in the men's room and drape the gear over chairs in my office. Wouldn't dream of not wearing it. I commute on I287 (NJ) and the NYState Thruway. You have to go pretty fast to avoid being run over.
  9. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    I change every day at the office. I keep all my work cloths in my office, pants, shirts, belts and shoes. I take clothing for a week at a time in my panniers and leave them in my office. The reason I don't just take a change of clothing daily is that half of my commute days I'm on a bicycle. On those days I just carry underwear, socks and an undershirt in my pack.

Once a week or so I have to go straight from my office to the local Jr. College where to teach MSF. On those days it works best to wear my stich over cloths I can wear in the classroom.
  10. Tom327Cat

Tom327Cat T-Dub rider

Oddometer:
    Unless you are working up to that big flaming school bus jump, that 30 minute commute is the most dangerous thing you will do on a motorcycle.

Your call mate.....
  11. NateLePain

NateLePain The Illegitimate Painter

Oddometer:
    During the summer, I carry 2 frozen gel packs. I place one near my heart and the other along my spine. They keep me cool and will last about 45 minutes in the 95-100F temps.

nlp
  12. Trapped_At_Work

Trapped_At_Work Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Helmet and Gloves are about it for my riding gear. Some sort of weather permitting jacket not necessarily a m/c jacket in the summer, rain suit if its pissing out.
  13. HairBear

HairBear I'm a Grandpa

Oddometer:
    I work in a blue collar environ.(warehouse) so it's jeans & t-shirt under my riding gear,(pants, jacket, gloves, boots, full face) that I keep at my desk. Keep a pair of sneaks & a baseball hat at work along with an extra pair of socks (left boot leaks.).
  14. RevChris

RevChris Merchant of Chaos

Oddometer:
    I have two commutes-- a 30 mile daily commute to job #1, and a weekly 200 mile round trip down I-95 to job #2. Both are pretty much business casual (jacket and sometimes a tie, not a full-on suit).
    I usually wear overpants, textile jacket and Sidi discovery boots, with a rain suit as needed. I keep my shoes and jacket in the saddlebag, along with the next day's clothes in one of those Eagle Creek packing folders (which works out okay, wrinkle-wise).
    Depending what I'm doing that day (and the weather) I either change inside at work or in the parking lot outside, and either bring the gear inside or leave everything in a duffle bag locked to the bike with one of those Pacsafe net things. Sometimes I just throw the pants in my soft bags and wear the jacket and boots in, but once you establish yourself as That Guy Who Rides His Motorcycle Every Day, there's a bit of leeway to the dress code. That's been my experience, anyway.
  15. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    5-mile commute one-way (4.79 on the GPS). Left outta the drive way, left on the main road, then left into the parking lot at work.

Hat/tshirt/jeans is the dress code here...

Helmet, gloves, fieldsheer adv jacket, jeans, and work boots for commuting. Jacket goes in the coat closet, helmet on the top shelf, boots are comfortable enough to wear all day.

Anything much more than that, or any off-road and I'll gear up with moto pants/knees/boots.
  16. Gizmo

Gizmo Hermes

Oddometer:

Besides the fact your comment is irrelevant to the initial query, I suspect if you are referring to the volume of traffic usually associated with commutes, your comment has some merit. For me personally, I find commuting helps me to be a better rider overall, because I encounter many more different and unexpected situations while commuting, than I might otherwise. So I feel I am better prepared for and react quicker to the unexpected I may encounter on trips. Also I find it helps to keep me focused, maintain good situational awareness and muscle memory.
  17. Tor

Tor Making Life A Ride, One Corner At A Time

Oddometer:
    +1. Which is why I ride to work in weather that "normal" people would find crazy. I have a few other riders where I work (mostly GL riders) and I have to explain to them the concept of why I choose to (not that I have fun doing it) commute in horrific weather. It keeps you on your toes, you make sure all your equipment works properly, and you make sure you yourself work properly should ANYTHING, be it wx or anything out of the ordinary,come up. It just keeps you honed sharp. :deal
  18. Gizmo

Gizmo Hermes

Oddometer:
    Good point Tor about weather. I too commute by mc, rain or shine and it has paid dividends on extended trips. One trip in particular comes to mind while travelling in Colorado where the weather turned very nasty quickly. For me it was just another day at the office, I was able to draw upon a more complete tool box of skills and experiences.
  19. motoregon

motoregon Commuter

Oddometer:
    I've found that both my employers don't mind me storing all my stuff near my desk(s) so a bunch of gear stripped down and laid out isn't a big deal. I've never worn a full suit under my gear, but dress pants, button-up and a tie are usually pretty unwrinkled by the time I get there.

The big thing about commuting is the extra time it takes you to suit up and strip down at each destination. Many people dislike it, and at first it seems so much different compared to hopping in a car but after a while it ends up being the other way 'round - getting into a car seems easy and suiting up seems normal. It just takes some getting used to.
  20. Gizmo

Gizmo Hermes

Oddometer:
    That is exactly why I choose to ride with a one piece suit, 30 seconds on and 30 seconds off.