Intercontinental Rally 2012

Discussion in 'Racing' started by czm8, Apr 22, 2011.

1. czm8

czm8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In February 2011 an international group of amateur off-road racers and adventurers gathered in Almeria, Spain for the first running of the Intercontinental Rally, a long distance adventure race in the spirit of the original Paris-Dakar races. The course took us over remote regions of Morocco and Mauritania finally concluding with the traditional finish at Lac Rose in Senegal.

While this year Rally was a resounding success the organizers are committed to making next year's event even more memorable. Please visit our web pageshttp://www.<wbr>intercontinentalrally.com to browse photos and videos as well as find out more about the 2012 edition. You can also join our Facebook pages to keep up with the most up to date information. We have also put together a DVD featuring highlights of the race and hopefully capturing the spirit of camaraderie and enthusiasm which made it really special. If you would like to receive this free DVD please enter your mailing information in http://intercontinentalrally.<wbr>com/dvd.

We would love to hear the feedback from the advrider community and hopefully have some of you join us next winter in Africa on our next adventure.

Attached Files:

2. tommerup

tommerup Pauli

Oddometer:
    Hey There

Just giving this thread a bump and to let you know that the Danish Team Tenere will be participating again in 2012, so far with 7riders and a Magirus Deutz service truck.
    I did this rally in 2011 and must say it was great fun!
    Pure budget and a great chance to experience some off the legendary Paris-Dakar tracks!

Looks like the bikes will be outnumbering the cars bigtime next year.
    Check it out: http://www.intercontinentalrally.com/index.php?jazyk=en&odkaz=home

Theres a bit off a story (in Danish) and pics here: http://tenere.dk/forumnew/forum_posts.asp?TID=5407

Attached Files:

3. ManxBerg

ManxBerg Rallye Raid

Oddometer:
    After competing in the Tuareg Rallye in 2008 and 2010 I'm desperate to try something new.
    There are so many Rallye's out there, but the lure of going to Lac Rose and Dakar has led me to entering this event for 2012. There is a team of us from England and the Isle of Man entering and I will be riding my BMW F650RR.

I'm looking forward to the adventure as much as anything.
    I entered the Tuareg with the intention of trying for a good result, and sometimes you lose track of remembering to take it all in. This time the KTM 525 has been replaced by a bigger BMW, and the focus for me will be to really enjoy the experience. Camping each night and moving out of the comfort zone of Morrocco.

Amatuer Rallye's have become a lot more focused in the last few years, and the easy conversion of enduro bikes has for me increased the speeds! I can really attack on an enduro bike and have seen 140kph recorded on the GPS, which is more than plenty offroad. I'm hoping to get back to the spirit of overland motorcycle travel of the early dakar with this event, whilst retaining a certain competition element.

In the future I probably will convert another enduro bike and enter something like the new Breslau event, but for now bring on Dakar!
  4. CarbonCat

CarbonCat Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  5. ptit_maurice

ptit_maurice Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello,

I will participate in the Intercontinental Rally 2012 with my 1200GS Adventure in category "FULL RACE".
    Name Team : OFFROAD GS ADVENTURE.

Pleasure.

:freaky
  6. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    Wow, a 1200GS? I'd like to see how you prepare it being in the "race" section:evil!

Going to Dakar is one of my dream... but it looks so expensive, what amount can be the whole budget for a rally raid like this, leaving off the bike tuning, but including all the rest (booking, journeys to the start and from Dakar, fuel, food, assistance....)? (also in MP if you don't like to share with everyone, it's just to have an idea if I could afford it in the future..)
  7. ptit_maurice

ptit_maurice Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure it is the first time I have a Rally.
    I think a budget : 5000€.
  8. Ferrys

Ferrys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello all,

I am José from de spanish Aventura Touareg Club. Good luck to all and hoping meeting you and sharing a great "aventura" together.

About the budget, yes it is money indeed. Just in tyres..........but I believe this is the cheapest way you can do it. Even a group of friends trying the same would not come much cheaper than this. Additionally we get an organization behind, with the arrangements, medical facilities, etc., all for a reduced fee.

All credit for those BWM riders going the whole way to Dakar. I wonder how are you going to cross the sand banks of Mauritania ............just kidding:D
  9. ptit_maurice

ptit_maurice Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, me too I wonder how I will do in the sand ...... with 1200GSA .... :D

Good preparation.

Pleasure.
  10. tommerup

tommerup Pauli

Oddometer:
    Hey there
    Based on last years experience I would say half that amount including: visa, entry fee, service backup (we are 8 riders that have joined up), camping a.s.o. for full length Adventure ( The race is a little more expensive)
    Remember this is as close to budget as you can come.
    On top comes : petrol, parts and pocket money ;o)
  11. Ferrys

Ferrys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There must be a minimum that everyone agrees to accept.
    For a guy livingin Almeria
    Just for the bike, you will need 2 sets of tyres and BibMousses. Let's say 1.000€ (and that is cheap).
    2 transmission kits, 300€. Oil and grease, 100€. New wheel bearings and filter 100€.
    For the bike as a minimum of 1500€
    Entry fee (lowest) 850€ + Visa arrangements = 1000€
    Trip back from Dakar 400€ + Trip to Nador 140€=540€
    Shipping motor from Dakar 400€ (????)
    and the list goes on.

I think that you will be easily above the 5.000€ and only for a very basic set up
  12. ManxBerg

ManxBerg Rallye Raid

Oddometer:
    My bike is almost ready to go! I will change the tyres and put new chain spockets and wheel bearings in, but it makes a change to have the bike ready so early. Anyone know anything about Fournales air shocks? I haven't even got the pump.
    (I wish had some spare wheels, but only because I hate changing Mousses)

[​IMG]

My passport has been renewed, yellow fever vaccines and visa for Mauritania next on the list. Anyone got experience or getting a Mauritanian visa?
  13. miguez

miguez Miguez Rally Racing

Oddometer:
    Plumb and Pavey as in Nick and Si?
  14. ManxBerg

ManxBerg Rallye Raid

Oddometer:
    That's the one.
    I believe this bike was built up as one of Nicky plumbs practice bikes (2005-2006 ish)

Here's some more pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. miguez

miguez Miguez Rally Racing

Oddometer:
    That's awesome, thanks for sharing!
  16. WRichter

WRichter Happy F800GS Owner

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    I'll do the 2012's Intercontinental Rally in "Full Adventure" mode.
    My bike BMW F800GS, my aka ? "WRichter".

See U in this Race !
    :D
  17. ptit_maurice

ptit_maurice Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This aprem, a small training session, watch the video : ICI
  18. WRichter

Oddometer:
  19. Ferrys

Ferrys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Little more I can say. This was last week's Africa Race to Atar. We will be there in one month.

<a href="%3Cobject%20width=" 640"="" height="360">">
    <a href="%3Cobject%20width=" 640"="" height="360"><object height="360" width="640">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pv8JGxpxYGE&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="360" width="640"></object>
  20. WRichter

Oddometer:
    Some pictures before the race :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]