Bought New Truck, Turned Out Not So Shiny - What to do?

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Yardstick, Jan 10, 2013.

1. FlagRS

FlagRS Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new truck, glad everything worked out. That monster will last forever.
  2. SourKraut

SourKraut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a black car and feel your pain. That thing is dirty moments after you wash it and trying to keep it looking good is a monumental effort. Hopefully you, like me, give up quickly and just keep a good coat of wax on it so that you have a prayer of ever seeing it look new again.
  3. Krazyjohnny

Krazyjohnny Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would have walked away from the deal after the douching with the Finance guy.

We just bought a 2013 Subaru WRX. It was the first car I have ever bought new that I had to order. Our Salesman was so on top of everything all the way through the process. The dealership folks were really good too. I did lots of research before buying the car on both accessories availability and the reliability and longevity.

I also have a 2000 F250 PSD that has been the most flawless truck I have ever owned. We have rolled over 200K on it and it has not given us any issues whatsoever. The biggest issue I have had is people trying to steal it. I am about to drop some money on the truck for improvements to the Turbo and Transmission from Banks Power. I figure that will keep me happy for another 10 yrs or so. It is going to take me that long to have the money saved up for a new truck. Holy Crap! the Doctor, lawyer and pretty people crowd have messed up the diesel truck market.
  4. dlearl476

dlearl476 Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer:
    :nod

:eek1 that it three posts for someone to suggest it. But FWIW, I have a buddy who made a lucrative career out of fixing high end euro cars that were damaged in shipment/dinged on the sales lot.
  5. dlearl476

Oddometer:
    You know Arizona means "land of white pick ups" in Navaho, right? :lol3
  6. dlearl476

Oddometer:
    Letter of the law spirit of the law. If they sold a truck one of the salesmen used to move his girlfriend's sister out from her abusive husband and haul a load of trash to the dump, it's not a "New" truck.
  7. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Walk away - I think most states have lemon laws, or you can return a vehicle within 48 hours or something. Learn your rights in this regard and then walk away. The first clue should have been the hard sell on the extended warranty.
  8. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    The PDR guy. Yeah, he's a pretty rich guy. Prays for hail. :lol3
  9. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's my bet. 240 miles of screwing around the dealer lot, hauling crap, test drives, etc, with the dealer plate on the back. A not-so-nice polish job by some not-giving-a-damn member of the staff. Rip out the bed liner, and rhino line away the used bed.
  10. Tweaker

Tweaker ...

Oddometer:
    Buying something sight unseen should have had a clause in the contract about acceptance upon delivery.

And did you really say you bought a Tacoma based on its "good" fuel mileage?

I bet that dealer saw you coming a mile away.
  11. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    Besides all the BS and return it comments you have an absolutely great truck there. I had a 2007 and in 4 years changed two turn signal bulbs.

I've had a 2011 for a year now and not one hiccup.

F-Fords and Chevy's these things are the best you can buy !
  12. EsconDeasy

EsconDeasy Ectomorph

Oddometer:
    Since we're playing "I woulda", I'll chime in

Dealer screwed up, then fixed it, then threw in a bed liner. I woulda walked away smiling
  13. xshanex

xshanex Been here awhile

Oddometer:

100 miles were put on it for the dealer trade and the truck may have come there from somewhere else too. Its not uncommon for it to happen. My truck had close to 200 miles on it because the dealer it was traded from was 200 miles away.

We had one truck at the dealership with a ton of miles because we traded it to a dealer 3 hours away and then someone who had test driven the truck a week before came in after thinking about it and had to have that one truck so I had to go bring it back
  14. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's of course an option. He said there was 270 on it initially. I figured in a few miles for the transport. But Hell, we found my truck 3 states away. You work out an inventory swap, where you get a bird in hand, and the other dealer gets whatever they need or could move quick from your lot. In my case, that's almost certainly a Chevy Cruze, bcs that happens to be what's moving off of chevy lots by the boatload...literally. Send a driver up w/ the Cruze, and bring home the bacon (my Avy). But by the initial description, and removed bedliner, and stuff, I was just figuring my best bet in that particular case. I could be wrong.
  15. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    This.

I worked in a BMW car dealership in the South for a bit and we sold tons of double black vehicles. Yeah, a bit warm for the first couple of minutes, but at least it wasnt white and tan like everyone else!

The kid who did the detailing originally did a shit job. No biggie, unless they wet sanded it, which I doubt.

It's a new truck, don't worry about it. The finance guy is a douche and Toyota's don't need the extended service or protection plans.

Enjoy your new trucks!
  16. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems most cars come off the lot with swirl marks... People just don't give a damn...

But don't take delivery of a vehicle with issues you care about, even minor ones. Your options go way down once you take delivery and drive off that lot- which is why dealers always want you to "take it now, enjoy it, and bring it back at your convenience and we'll take care of everything..."
  17. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    or have that boring silver metallic color where you cant see any imperfections.
  18. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:

Ha. You THOUGHT White sucked in the summer, you'll be eating those words in a couple of months.:rofl
  19. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    The truck I had before my white one was dark blue and had no A/C. :lol3
  20. Dismount

Dismount Dagnabit billy

Oddometer:
    My 4banger tacoma was a gas sipper. But that's before they started selling full sized trucks in place of the little ones.