Tuned to the Sound of Motorcycle Exhausts Screaming and Engines Humming

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by y0y02369, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    Good, I don’t quite know what that is but good.
    Does the Iphone do Next Turn too?
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    Are you going on the Parkfield ride?
  2. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    Let me rephrase, I have been trying to get a device to save my maps and show friends and post on here, hence why i asked about the Zumo, but i actually found an app called MotoTracker which let's me save and share maps and routes that i've done, so i am stoked!

No the Iphone doesn't have Next Turn... What is it??

As for Parkfield, I plan to, but depends on if i have a bike! I am in the process of selling my Vulcan and getting a KLR so if the sell and buy happen before then, then i will be there!
  3. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    What, you are not riding the Vulcan again until it is sold? I thought you were buying a Triumph.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    Next Turn is a mileage countdown to the next road change on my route. It is usually the only thing I am interested in and I can see it at a glance
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Parkfield is not a hard ride but it is a fun ride.
    I have ridden down there on a Sunday afternoon and have gone a 100 miles without seeing another vehicle on the road. Fun roads too.
  4. DustyRags

DustyRags Idiot

Oddometer:
    Check out the Google Maps app for iPhone- gives turn-by-turn directions and reads 'em into your earbuds.

I rode Tahoe a couple of weekends ago- slabbed it the whole way. The hill part was fun, but slab sucked- super hot and windy through Sac. A buddy tried to get me to ride from South Lake up along the lake and then down 80 to come back, but I didn't have the time- pity, I hear that's a great ride.

Another good ride is Skyline -> 9 -> Santa Cruz, and then 1 south -> Big Sur. Stay the night in Big Sur, then 1 south -> Cambria, 46 -> Paso Robles, then over to 25- we did 198, but Indian Valley Road out of Big Sandy looks even better (and less time on 101). Then 25 -> Hollister is a glorious ride! Careful, no gas for 70+ miles. Then we took the slab home 'cause it was 8 on a Sunday night when we rolled out of Hollister, but a great trip.

Report here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=880186
  5. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    I think most of the GPS can do that.
    Next Turn is really nice to have. On a foggy day on Hwy1 with traffic on your ass for one thing.
    I would really miss Next Turn if I didn’t have it.
    Maps, my Zumo 220 has a really good road map of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place>North America</st1:place> on it. And I can also add specialized maps via a SD card to either unit.
    I can route off road by an arrow pointing me in the direction I need to go to reach may target, with a mileage countdown.
    I can find the closest gas station or place to eat from where I am at easily.
    I can find roads to route to easily.
    When I first bought my 450, I was really disappointed; I didn’t understand how to use it. It took me a while to get proficient.
    It was my second ride that I got an inkling on good this was.
    I was coming up Hwy 33 from Coalinga. I knew the route but let’s see what the GPS says
    No traffic on 33, I did a search for communities as I was riding. New Idria popped up, yeah, I want to get on that road.
    The Zumo gave me a route but where is it going. I looked at the Next Turn pages; it’s going to the freeway. I don’t want to do that.
    I turned onto a side road and the Zumo gave me a new route, a really fun one that I didn’t know about
    I am a fan.
    And likely prejudice. I really don’t know haw well the Iphone works
    If I was buying a new GPS, I probably would not buy a Zumo. A <st1:State><st1:place>Montana</st1:place></st1:State> most likely
  6. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea i use google maps all the time! Love it for the trun by turn!

Wow! Sounds like a fun ride! thanks! I will read your RR after finals :lol3

Well of course a GPS is always better than a phone hands down but i was just pleased with that app. I am not sure if my Zumi can do stuff like that... i am still in the process of learning how to use other than simple "Take me here" :D But thanks for the info! Really good to know.
  7. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    I sure hope so. :lol3
    My GPS is a fun useful tool and I believe it has improved the quality of my rides. But it’s not a necessity at all, don’t ever think that.
    I had plenty of fun before I ever heard of a GPS. :deal
  8. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe you in every way! :clap GPSs give me a peace of mind but i've done fine with out till i ever got one too! Not knowing where you are going in part of the adventure! :lol3
  9. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    Crashmaster took two years off and went on a great ride through <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>Mexico</st1:place></st1:country-region> and <st1:place>South America</st1:place>.
    In <st1:country-region><st1:place>Argentina</st1:place></st1:country-region> he hooked up with a Harley rider who was making a similar ride. The Harley rider was carrying everything with him but the kitchen sink and a map. A GPS, what is that.:D
    The guy rode the whole way without ever buying a map.
    I have to respect that.
    Great ride report.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501881<o:p></o:p>
  10. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:

Wow that sounds inspiring! That would be a dream come true as well! I will read the RR after i finish my final exams for sure! Might be doing my second longer ride (to Tahoe) this summer, so it would be my first RR! Pretty stoked! :D
  11. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone down for a ride within the next month some place around the Bay and make is a 200+ mile ride??
  12. motorat

motorat Is it raining

Oddometer:
  13. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    You might want to try camping south of Tahoe too. There are some good creek side campsites along Slick Rock road near Lake Alpine on Hwy 4. Slick Rock turns into an extreme 4X4 trail (class 5) half way through, so you may not be able to get all the way through. Near there are a couple other lakes good for camping; Utica and Union reservoirs. They are on forest service roads, so the Vulcan can make it.

If you want guided rides (free), sign up for the emails from Cycle Specialties (BMW & Triumph dealer) in Modesto. They do both street and adventure group rides all the time, and all brands are welcome. Their business philosophy seems to be "welcome everyone, and eventually they might become a loyal customer".
  14. Slacker2

Slacker2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FWIW - Every one of the main east west routes (120,108,88,50,80) through the sierras has 3 or 4 great north south routes that are worth riding and offer everything from dirt (yankee jim out of Forrest Hill for instance) to single lane (North South off 88 etc.) to twisty and as fast as you'd like (49 south of Angels Camp Unless you don't mind cops in which cast north is nice and historic).

You don't need a GPS for this stuff you just need a decent map and a good sense of direction.
  15. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:

damn if I wasn't busy this weekend I would join you! Another fun ride is

From Fremont take 84 East to Pleasanton.
    Hook on to Vasco rd and follow signs to Mount Hamilton.
    Ride to the top and then follow signs to tne observatory.
    Take 680 S to the Sunol Exit and enjoy windy quiet roads.

Might do that soon.

I've actually always wanted to go to S Lake Tahoe on a bike, just gotta find friends that ride haha

Sounds like a blasta though!

Riding roads like these is where I'd like to progress to one day! You know if any groups do those types of rides leaving from the Bay?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2
  16. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    You need to look at a paper map. Forget goggle and all the computerized gizmos.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Just a gas station map would be a big help to you. A DeLorme Atlas and Gazetteer is a great resource for back roads. They are detailed topographic maps but may be hard for you to read if you are not experienced with maps.
    <o:p></o:p>
    Mines Rd to Mt Hamilton is part of one of the most fun loops that one could take. But these are technical twisty roads
  17. Slacker2

Slacker2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The thing to do is to post a proposed ride in the "Rides in the West" sticky with a meet up in somewhere like the Black Bear diner in Tracy (Grant Line) where people can talk about the options.

IMO If you haven't done 49 then you should start there. (108 to 49, 49 to 88, 88 west to home (don't forget to stop in some of those cool towns)) Or a great ride is 120 towards Yosemite to Hetch Hetchy. Both are great for all levels and if it's hot you can stop and swim at Rainbow Pools which is just west of the Cherry Lake turnoff on 120.

Have fun!!
  18. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    There is a group ride tomorrow in the mother lode country.
    http://www.meetup.com/GroupRides/<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  19. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    Go up to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Alice</st1:place></st1:City>’s on a weekend morning, any morning really. It is easy to meet other local riders with your same interest there.
  20. Slacker2

Slacker2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's an interesting site.