The XL600 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Gregster, Jul 6, 2007.

1. RFVC600R

RFVC600R Long timer

Oddometer:
    I kept bidding more and more and the reserve was never met, so I said fuck it! I'll just pay price the before someone else does. A Clarke is 4.3 gal. and this Acerbis is 5.3 :eek1 I don't think my ass can handle it on the street :lol3 but pretty much I pay $100 more for a gal and its a NEW gas tank from the 80s :D. I cant find anything on the web like it
  2. Carter Pewterschmidt

Carter Pewterschmidt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm always trying to buy an NOS 86 tank for my bike, so I routinly search ebay for XL tanks, but I never saw one of those before. A very cool find indeed, the "desert" decals really make it and Acerbis is a good brand. All around a hot piece of old XL bling. If it were white instead of red I might have went after it myself.:D

Make sure to do a little write up and take some pics of the install.
  3. Novgorod

Novgorod Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tried to search and find some info, but to no luck. I was wondering what the difference is in XL600 and XL600R, or if there is a difference? I started reading on one site where someone asked, and it started saying the XLR had 43hp, and the XL had 34... but then... they started saying how it had four cylinders, so I stopped reading; stupid eHow.
  4. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    XL600 and XL600r are the same bike.
  5. davek181

davek181 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Clarke 4.3 red one myself, while I love the extra capacity I am not happy with the color it is kind of orangey red not red red. I really wanted a white one since my bike is an 87 but it was cheap enough on eBay to tempt me and vanity is not really an issue. I would have been all over a 5.3 gallon tank if I had seen it, especially Acerbis brand since I really like their quality.

Good find, congrats, enjoy your new tank. :clap
  6. Novgorod

Novgorod Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you! I'll take your word for it. I've been reading and it seems like these old XL600s are pretty formidable against the newer bikes, having low weight, low seat height, and good power. I am wanting an older dual sport, and I'm trying to narrow down what I want in a bike. I was also wondering, do the subframes on these need to be reinforced for additional weight? My woman likes being a passenger.
  7. doc.heckle

doc.heckle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They are designed to carry a passenger, or are you saying something about her you shouldn't:rofl
  8. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    IIRC way back in the day the subframe on occasion would break from over loading. One thing that may help is the passenger pegs are mounted to the swingarm so not all of the passengers weight is on the frame but some on the pegs/swingarm.
  9. RFVC600R

RFVC600R Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a tank for an 83. No dents, no sun fade, no cap just rusty as hell. you pay for the de-rust stuff (i'll do that part) and shipping you can have it.
  10. Carter Pewterschmidt

Oddometer:
    I will have to politely decline my friend. I have so many parts laying around here that it's becoming a nuisance. In fact I've been trying to pass some of them off to Crobox. I do appreciate the offer so if you ever need something in the future let me know. I have various odds and ends and carb parts galore.

I would however make room for a spare set of stock wheel hubs. :deal
  11. Novgorod

Novgorod Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hahaha no! She weighs about 135 / 140, and she's 5'10". I'm just used to bikes that aren't made for dual sporting and passengers.
  12. RFVC600R

RFVC600R Long timer

Oddometer:
    I want a set of wheels! I'd love to have street tires and knobbies to swap in and out. When I get some money I want to buy a spare bike, take the engine, wheels, and sell the rest to inmates and other XL owners. Then I'll have an engine I can build up without putting my bike down!

If anybody needs a gas tank let me know, I got two, one with no rust but dented up and one with rust but no dents, go figure! the one with no rust is on my bike currently so it will have to wait til i get the acerbis.
  13. davek181

davek181 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have an 86 XL tank no dents a little scratched up, no rust. And an XR rear wheel with really rusty spokes that the hub looks ok on. And forks and swingarms and various other parts too numerous to mention.
  14. Carter Pewterschmidt

Oddometer:
    I rebuilt my stock wheels, which turned out pretty nice, but I really want to build a 17" supermoto set to try on this bike.
  15. MAXNX

MAXNX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can I get a hold of you if I need little things here and there? I am right down the road from you.
  16. RFVC600R

RFVC600R Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do i need to adjust anything when I take the snorkel out? it sounds little more beefy now
  17. m2h

m2h "Old guys rule"

Oddometer:

Thanks for that. Will have a look at doing it while the motor is in bits.
    M2H
  18. m2h

m2h "Old guys rule"

Oddometer:
    Thanks Steve. Another option to look at.
  19. m2h

m2h "Old guys rule"

Oddometer:
    Yeah wondered about that too. Don't matter how big the exit is if the door in is smaller!

Thanks again
    M2H
  20. CNRED

CNRED It'll be OK Supporter

Oddometer:
    You looking for a red, white and blue 86 XL600r tank? If so, I have an 87 that is almost perfect. It was taken off when new by a friend to use an aftermarket tank. Been setting on a shelf for almost 27 years. NO RUST INSIDE. I was going to use it but I found a Red tank to go with red framed bike I'm building. I doubt I will use it. If intereted shoot me a PM and we will work out a price.