XR650R Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by JustinT, Nov 24, 2008.

1. stuntheavy

stuntheavy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    unfortunately that's too far and I have no means of getting the crank there in. A timely manner.

I don't need anyone to build the engine, I can do that. I just need a new rod pressed in.
  2. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:

I've used Kelly on quite a few top end rebuilds. Never a bottom end, though. I would highly recommend giving him a call. He's in Loomis.
    http://meticulousmetal.com/
  3. stuntheavy

Oddometer:
    Well.... got some news.

The machine shop that I had dropped the crank off at that had been giving me the run around, Machine Shop #2 that had said they could do it, infact did get it apart, and is going back together today.

In the process they cracked the gear for the counterbalance shaft. Which apparently can only be bought as an assembly with the entire new crankshaft...

Fantastic. Pretty sure no counterbalance would be uncomfortable at best, and detrimental to the engines longevity at worse.

This whole 'preventative maintenance' crank rebuild just keeps getting better and better.

Does anyone have a blown crank that they would sell the gear off of? Paypal, or whatever you need waiting, will need to have it overnighted.
  4. mvg2

mvg2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fellow XR owner here (xr400) popping my head in to see if anyone has a straight and true front wheel for sale

My front has got some seized nipples (don't ya just hate that lol) and a nice dent which makes road riding a jarring experience. Thanks!
  5. slickwill

slickwill Exhiled

Oddometer:

This exact thing happened to me...at a very expensive, big name, nationally known shop. So it can happen anywhere. Then the replacement that they pressed on was warped. I ended up buying a second blown crank, had the gear pulled, then pressed on to the good crank. It was a long and maddening process.
  6. stuntheavy

Oddometer:
    I believe I read your story.

The fact you can't buy the gear separately is crazy. I don't know what to do. If I can't get one, I may end up have to call an end to the trip. :baldy
  7. bill pierce

bill pierce I don't wana pickle

Oddometer:
  8. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    Thinking of adding a small windscreen to my XRR and could use some ideas.
  9. Oddfellow

Oddfellow Beasty Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tried to pick up one of these:

[​IMG]

From Motorcyclegear.com , they had them on closeout at $89.95 but were on a wait. Got the notice in the middle of the night and logged on in the morning and they were already gone. They are back in stock now but twice the price. I have aftermarket bars and was willing to tke a chance at $90 but at $200, I'll pass.
  10. FlyGuy

FlyGuy MachineHead

Oddometer:
    I hate to hear that.
    If you get a used crank? consider installing the new rod on it, assuming it is serviceable?
    To get the gear off without a special puller that is proven on the XR crank may prove double costly.
    Personally I would sacrifice the donor crank by dissembling halves then drill and borie the flywheel shaft off the counterweight
    Then the gear will be easy to remove without damage.
    I hope the shop is going to help with your issue? as the labor time forward is higher than normal
    Also the 650r crank needs a few special Items to service, If the shop does not have them or don't take the time to to make them they may repeat the same problem.
    Good luck
  11. stuntheavy

Oddometer:
    Can anyone produce a picture of the balancer gear and how it is timed to the crankshaft? Particularly interested in whrre the notch is and where the hole is, along with orientation (one side has a larger shoulder).

They did a good job on the rod replacement and everything appears as it should. They had a couple tools they built for the job that he showed me. Just that damn gear...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  12. cognugget

cognugget n00b

Oddometer:
  13. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:

There is a guy on E-bay that sells SPAL fans for about 45$. These are the same fans as the KTM's, just no shroud. Still work great and provide enough airflow to keep the 650 cool in stalled traffic, etc.

If he doesn't have the "pull" ones, send him an email. He'll let you know when he will have more.

Small brackets have to be made from there. This thread has examples of many different ways of doing that.
  14. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:
    National Cycle has one that fits pretty good. Deflector is the model I have. You can see my ride report for the sample. It would fit a big headlight a bit better, but I think it was quite a bit cheaper. Not the best looking, but functional.

Alternately, lots of people use custom fitted 990 windscreens for about 60$
  15. stevh0

stevh0 Lone Rider

Oddometer:

That is cool.

More info?
  16. cognugget

cognugget n00b

Oddometer:
    ADV Monster M62 1800 lumens
    ADV Monster rotary dimmer
    EDS Tuff Lites
    Baja Designs regulator/rectifier

This will be a bit tricky to mount but here is a quick mock up

[​IMG]
  17. cognugget

cognugget n00b

Oddometer:
    anybody make a custom aluminum dash yet? Trying o come up with ideas
  18. XFanMan

XFanMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It looks like they make nice stuff, but weird that the wireless dimmer is cheaper and has more capacity than the rotary?
  20. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quick question that I should know. Just rather check with you guys before making a mess. Tried searching but our vast basis of knowledge here almost makes it more difficult to search out.

Can you check / remove, change clutch by tipping the bike on it's side and not drain the oil?

Doing the Tour of Idaho T1 in a few weeks and want to make sure my clutch is in good working order. No signs of it not being, but rather check then have issues on the trail when I'm somewhat in the back country. My squirrel hunting skills are lacking these days...