Voltage of the Low Octane Wire

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Katoom119, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Katoom119

Katoom119 Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer:
    I currently have a waterproof switch to activate the low octane map on my bike instead of disconnecting the wires. Only problem is the only waterproof switch I could find was a push button. I can't tell when the thing is pushed or not because it resets to the same position.

I want to wire it to a Highway Dirt Bikes handle bar clamp set up so my questions are:

1) Are the HDB buttons set up so that it is very clear if the button has been pushed or not?

2) Is there a way to wire it so that when it is activated it lights up the small LEDs that you can get with the kit?

I know I could just wire it so that I unplug the wire like stock, but what fun would that be? :D
  2. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hard to say what voltage since it goes into the ECU.

Get out your voltmeter, unplug your existing connection and read across the 2 wires.. Then find out what the Led's need to operate.. Voila!
  3. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doubt you will find voltage. Most ECU's look for a ground to switch maps.
  4. Katoom119

Oddometer:
    I knew this but I didn't want to cut the switch out that I've already installed and was hoping someone knew off the top of their head.

Makes sense. Ground for one map, no ground (no circuit) for the other. K.I.S.S.

On top of this I've realized that if there was a voltage running through the wire that the LED would always be on unless I had a DPST switch or something like that. Electrical circuits weren't my physics professor's strong point when he was teaching us.

Thanks guys!
  5. Sacal

Sacal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What he said, it's ground for sure...no guessing either, it says so in the wiring diagram :wink:

Talking switches, you should look at online chandlery (boat) stores, they sell waterproof toggle switches like this one that will fit the hdb switch mounts.

http://www.tcschandlery.co.uk/7213/ECS-Waterproof-Toggle-switch.html?referrer=froogle&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid7213
  6. kirb

kirb should be out riding

Oddometer:
    Switching a line to ground to switch maps is common....there would be some DC voltage on one of the lines when not activated, but I wouldn't run an LED with it. You could measure it...might be anywhere from 5V to 12V when not switched on.
  7. PS-RagE

PS-RagE Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ran mine through a relay. The NC coil voltage is also what lights the LED (on for low octane)
  8. geometrician

geometrician let's keep going...

Oddometer:
    short answer, "no" on the HDB push-button switch question
  9. Katoom119

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone. Looks like I'm just going to put the thing back stock. Serves me right for overthinking something.
  10. go2cnavy

go2cnavy Dont Worry Be Brappy

Oddometer:
    ? Why not just use a toggle switch like mentioned above ? It would work perfect in the HDB mount.
  11. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    Indeed.

Radio Shack, less than 5 bucks, not waterproof, slathered on a little silicon sealer to help with splash resistance. Works great, and I live in a wet climate.

[​IMG]

I too thought about an indicator light, but worried the draw night affect the curve. The toggle is its own indicator: up for high octane, down for low.