Addc 2013 - Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge

Discussion in 'Racing' started by too old, Mar 28, 2013.

1. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    I hear Helder is might pissed. :eek1
  2. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I expect he is and understand that he doesn't take prisoners as far as his profession goes! :eek1
  3. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Barreda out...

Joan Barreda: "Sorry. There´s not much more to say. I´m devastated for my fans and the whole team being forced out of the race at this early point. The situation actually wasn´t special. I landed after a jump and had to stop immediately. Apparently my wrist injury sustained at the Dakar isn´t completely healed up. There was no choice for me but to stop."
  4. too old

Oddometer:
    I was just about to ask that one - it was a scafoid injury and they do take time to heal - it's not been a good day for some the top guys, but good for others.

Sam had the same injury in his Dec crash and had to have it screwed together, but that was 4 months ago, it's still sore, but healed.
  5. BigBearJoe

BigBearJoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Daily race reports from speedbrain racing
    Quotes from the Competitors
    Looks like the only female competitor that I can find, Camellia Liparoti, is in an 25th Pl. for the stage. Wonder what it's like for a female competitor in a Middle East rally?

Mike Johnson, only American motorcyclist, is an and 35th place. Anyone know background information on Mike?
  6. BigBearJoe

BigBearJoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just trying out my new signature line.
  7. too old

Oddometer:
    Females - Just the same as the guy's, very few trees to piss against :rofl:rofl

Seriously though the UAE is good, the girls probably get a better deal than in some of the US States :clap:clap
  8. doyle

Oddometer:
    Looks like Israel glued himself to Helder's back wheel instead of bothering to navigate himself and Helder was not liking that. The hazards with which the aliens need to deal....

I see two very interesting points, first that Israel's roadbook was a good 25-30 km behind meaning he gave up trying to navigate or it broke so he had no choice, and second that Helder talks about the remaining stages. I need to dig into the FIM regulations for completing the stage/swapping bikes etc... I assumed it was forbidden, but I am also assuming Dakar rules.
  9. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    :evil

On the Italian Motorally championship you MUST be always on the right note (and there are up to 500 notes in 200 km course:huh). They almost always put a secret check point, even within a special stage, so you have to stop and they check the note. If you are not on the righ note (with 2 notes tolerance, you get a 15 minutes penalty!
  10. doyle

Oddometer:
    OK, rules clarified via Chavo. Helder can continue with a "1 million hour penalty" (Chavo's words) :lol3

Helder is shown lugging along an extra 14h40'00". He's out of the running for the win so I have to ask, since it seems HRC have given up further development on this version of the bike, what does Helder have to gain besides seat time and possible stage wins? Is it worth the potential risks? At his level, would it be more prudent to save the body to fight again another day?

:ear
  11. doyle

Oddometer:
    Could be that his roadbook broke, but I don't know either way. Jeremias posts a lot on twitter so I assume he will tell his story once the medical side is sorted.
  12. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    wonder if kuba got lost leading or just a glitch ?
  13. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    Why wouldn't Helder stay in the race, and lead all those who follow him off in the wrong direction to make a point!
  14. doyle

Oddometer:
    Perhaps it's a point that needs to be made. Unfortunately, with the relatively short stages in regards to the previous few Dakar's, the emphasis has shifted a bit from smart navigating to outright speed and technical prowess. Despres was pretty vocal about it in January, at least much more vocal than in years past.

Helder wouldn't win himself any friends, but you're right, maybe this point is well beyond due.
  15. too old

Oddometer:
    You are spot on here boys (oops and Mum) - I can't speak for any of the other young guns, but on the one I can, Sam spends hours and hours preparing and using road books and takes his navigation as a very serious aspect of the sport :clap:clap
  16. too old

Oddometer:
    Then the next day he can lead off and divert Coma and Concalves :rofl:rofl:rofl
  17. too old

Oddometer:
    Sorry for being a pain all - stuck in an airport lounge in Sri Lanka on the way back to Dubai, what else to do? :D
  18. too old

Oddometer:
    I recall he said it was tough being at the front navigating! Back on that issue again, but you need confidence and skill, to push it out there!:eek1
  19. doyle

Oddometer:
    Add to that Chavo told me the pace is lightning fast. As he described it a "long motocross in the dunes". A local caught up to him in the second half of the stage so Juan Carlos let him show the way.

Hard to open the stage and keep pace when the pace is so fast.
  20. too old

Oddometer:
    Probably a Bedu in a Toyota off home for lunch :rofl:rofl

Attached Files: