Changing the oil filter

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by headtube, Oct 22, 2012.

1. headtube

headtube Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the photo below is a new and old filter. When I removed the old one I noticed there was no metal ring. Previous owner hack! I'd like to know if the new filter pictured can be installed "without" o-rings? There were no o-rings when I dismantled the pieces. Also, just to be certain, what is the sequence of install on the parts... filter, metal ring, white o-ring, gasket?

[​IMG]

Here is a so-so pic of the bike. A little over exposed on the bottom and under exposed on the top. The sun was streaming into my garage. Better pics to come. It's getting there.

[​IMG]
  2. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just did mine. Let me see if I have some pics that show any detail. Otherwise, it's:
    1) oil filter goes in (I like to rub a little oil on the rubber gaskets and the o-ring)
    2) metal "washer" goes onto the outer lip of the canister
    3) white "o-ring" goes in
    4) outer metal filter cover goes on
    Look here: http://largiader.com/tech/filters/canister.html
    Some of the newer bikes have a canister that does not require the metal "washer". See Anton's information
  3. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. mykill

mykill odd

Oddometer:
    Really need to know the year bike from the OP before giving advice. earlier models with the sharp-lipped canister need the metal, later with the rolled edge do not.
  5. headtube

Oddometer:
    Year is 1979
  6. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    beat me to it! anyway, does your canister have a rolled lip or a straight edge?
  8. headtube

Oddometer:
    Where do I look for this? Inside the filter cavity?
  9. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, it's the internal "can". Look at the pics, see if that makes it clear.
  10. headtube

Oddometer:
    Perhaps you can tell me? I bought a new ring to install. Seems logical that I would need one with a gap at the opening of the canister wall, but this is new to me. The white o-ring that I removed looked "pinched" from this gap.

[​IMG]
  11. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes! You need the metal "washer" placed onto the canister. This protects the white o-ring from being cut. Then place the o-ring onto the metal washer, followed by the outer cover.
  12. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. Mike V.

Mike V. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Be sure to measure the canister edge depth to engine block face accurately with a depth gauge or like tool. Anton has a nice easy-to-read table regarding the shimming process. I prefer using Oak's 10% to 25% O-Ring compression formula. i.e.;

O-Ring + Metal Shim - Cover Gasket (if used) - canister depth / O-Ring x 100 = % O-Ring Compression.

Constants:
    O-Ring = 4.0mm
    Metal Shim = 0.3mm
    Cover Gasket = 0.5mm
    Canister depth = To be measured

Any doubts regarding the dimensions of the above parts should be checked with a micrometer.
    You should only have to measure the canister depth once every few years since it shouldn't move.
    If less than 10% or more than 25% O-Ring compression; adjustments are needed.
    Remember the cover gasket for the 77 and later models is not used to seal the canister for external leaks. The O-Ring does the sealing and depending on your cannister depth measurement the cover gasket may not be needed. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  14. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    + 1 on the above. See my pictures on the $2000 o-ring (referenced above).
  15. headtube

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your help guys. My canister depth requires a gasket. Off to the next task!
  16. Texmoto1

Texmoto1 Adventure Berzerker

Oddometer:
    I have been working on my R100RS Café Scrambler project and since I don't wish to destroy my bike during its first startup, I just want to be extra sure on how the filter set up goes together. Since I got the bike in pieces I never got a chance to see how the filter was set up in the first place. I just placed everything temporarily into the position I am thinking its supposed to be installed

[​IMG]

I also noted that the filter has a built on small rubber seal (that I assume) goes on the inside but no seal on the outside?

[​IMG]

And why not a gratuitous shot of the project so far.

[​IMG]

Thanks for any input you might have