Tucson Area Bulletin Board:

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by russbryant, Jan 22, 2009.

1. KIC

KIC Proud Army Dad

Oddometer:
    Tucson, we keep our ice in the freezer, Arizona
    Does anybody know if you need a permit or something to follow the trail from Ajo along the border to Yuma through the Cabeza National Wildlife Preserve ? Has anybody ever rode it ?
  2. Flashman1

Flashman1 Long timer

Oddometer:

I camped in there about 12 years ago - and yes you needed a permit - it was/is? used as a bombing range and they they restricted access by the public if they were going to bomb (good idea!). There is a BLM ofice in AJO that we called ahead for then got a permit.

Don't know it that is still the case.
  3. DingWeed

DingWeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    El camino del Diablo!!:clap:clap

E-mail me @ dingweeds4us@msn.com and I will send them to you!

Scott
  4. DingWeed

DingWeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, Fun ride....lots of sand!!!

Yes, you need a permit!

Scott
  5. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
    Just returned from a quick 4 day trip down to Puerto Penasco. My first trip down to Mex was a prelim to a Baja trip in Feb.

Found a campground right on the beach

[​IMG]

Had to check out the local cuisine

[​IMG]

Spent time watching the beach traffic

[​IMG]

and enjoyed the sunsets over Mar de Cortez

[​IMG]

Going to have to make a return trip.

Dave
  6. kobukan

kobukan almost gnarly

Oddometer:

Two areas I've been wondering about. :clap

Camino del Diablo sounds awesome - much better than I-8. :D

StmbtDave - what route did you take to Puerto Penasco? I've been thinking about taking a ride through that area.
  7. StmbtDave

Oddometer:
    We're down in Green Valley for the winter so it's a pretty direct route to Penasco. I headed out the Ajo Hwy to Why then directly south, crossing at Lukeville. Easy peasy with no vehicle bond or visa required.

Dave
  8. kobukan

kobukan almost gnarly

Oddometer:
    Thanks

Green Valley - I've ridden some nice roads between 83 and Green Valley - beautiful area.
  9. PhiSig1071

PhiSig1071 Friendly Neighborhood Privateer

Oddometer:
    Hey Dave, any off roading other then the beach to the campground? Think a GSXR could make the trip?
  10. StmbtDave

Oddometer:
    No problem with a road bike. The entrance to the campground where I stayed is about 1/2 block of hard packed dirt with scattered sand off the paved road. The campground itself is a very large parking lot that is all hard pack. This isn't your KOA. It is a wide open area and you pitch your tent where you want. No designated spaces, no hookups, no tables. They do have restrooms and showers by the entrance/office. There is someone on watch 24/7 and they assured me security was no problem. I took all my valuables with me when I left for the day and just zipped up the tent and fly. They are about the only place around that offers tent camping - $10/day. Great people. Let me know and I'll attempt to give directions if you're interested.

Dave
  11. emerson.biguns

emerson.biguns All idiot, no savant

Oddometer:
    Anyone know of local mechanic that specializes in CRFs?

I got the wife a nice 250X and it needs some carb loving and I ain't takin' the carb out of that thing again. :baldy

12. HoosierTrailmaster

HoosierTrailmaster Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer:
    Emerson, I have taken the carb out of a 250 X a half dozen times, happy to help you with it. Pretty easy if you know the routine.

PS: it does require taking out the shock, at least the top bolt and undoing the subframe bolts, you end up going in from the rear...which I know you don't like. :cry
  13. DesertDuster

DesertDuster Old Pueblo Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the Diablo route. I am thinking that a route farther north might be better. Does anyone know of a good dirt route from Casa Grande to Yuma? It would be okay to have some slab time between segments.

Ron
  14. KIC

KIC Proud Army Dad

Oddometer:
    Tucson, we keep our ice in the freezer, Arizona
    Why the heck would you want to ride to Yuma ? Yuma is a marker that just means you are that much closer to San Diego..:freaky
  15. emerson.biguns

Oddometer:
    :nod

I've done it once already and the JD jet kit didn't solve my problem. Not sure I want to do it again, especially when I'm not sure what the problem is.

After a throttle blip it returns to a high idle and then sometimes settles back to normal, sometimes doesn't.

16. HoosierTrailmaster

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a sticking slide. Since you already put in a new needle, you know how to take off the slide plate on the top, which doesn't require removing the carb. Take that off, spray in that area with cleaner. Hope you didn't bend the needle on install, that could cause it as well.

Like I said, happy to help, I know that carb really well, both the 39 and the 37 that comes on that bike.

PS: we are coming back from Quantico as Kathy just graduated from The Basic School. As part of the festivities we got to shoot a SAW (M 249), an M 16 and a M 243 gernade launcher. I will never live down the fact my wife hit the tank at 200 yards with the 243 while I missed. They gave her the M 16 with the launcher and she set the butt on top of her shoulder. That is how much she knows about guns.
  17. seabee1

seabee1 we build, we fight

Oddometer:
    You mean the M-203 grenade launcher? I love those things.

Btw, congratulations to your daughter for the graduation!
  18. emerson.biguns

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a hoot.

Pretty sure I didn't bend the needle. It dropped right in, no problems.

I didn't think it could be a sticking slide. It still does it even if I forcibly roll off the throttle using the push/pull cables to close the slide. Is that a valid thought?

19. HoosierTrailmaster

Oddometer:

The tension on the cables is real touchy as well. Also, make sure the cables are routed well and not geting hung up, I have done that a few times as well. Did you change out the slow jet when you put in the JD kit? It could be dirty as well. As you know, it could be an number of things. Happy to stop by this weekend and see if I can be of help. I think the Pages and I are riding Redington on Saturday. PS: the CRF 250X suspension is the best one for me I have ever ridden.

Just had another thought, are you sure you put the spring in the needle cap back on right? There are 2 different ends to the spring, one end has a little washer that slides over the end of the needle and is stopped by the needle clip. If the needle is able to slide up and down at all, that would cause a unreliable throttle position even when the throttle seemingly is all the way closed.
  20. emerson.biguns

Oddometer:
    Cables could be the problem. I had a bear of a time getting them reattached and tensioned.

Pretty sure I got the needle cap back in the same way it came out. The spring was pretty well stuck to the cap screw.

Original problem that started everything was a clogged idle jet. I put a new 42 in. When I went to do the JD kit it looked like the idle was clogged again. So, I put the JD 42 in and fresh gas.

Working Saturday and still trying to recover from a cold I picked up last week in West Palm. Wish I could ride. Try StmbtDave, he's in town and looking for some action.

If you can help on Sunday I can have it apart and ready. Is there any time or day that's good for you?