Basket Case - getting in over my head?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by TipsyMcStagger, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Kt-88

Kt-88 I like everything.

Oddometer:
    I loved both my xs and my current r90/6. The xs was fantastic around town but it's a rare one that's used for full on touring. If that's your thing.

Not that you couldn't. They really are great bikes.
  2. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I've always heard good stuff about XS650's. I thought they were getting rare because they are so popular but you guys talk like they are still common. Too bad I'm a one bike guy or I'd like one of those.
  3. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin!

Oddometer:
    Original and "stock" early bikes are rare, and can be pricey. Lots of the originals were chopped and bobbed, and still are, cuz the motor is reputedly bulletproof (you should see the size of the ball-bearing crank bearings!). Later in the '70s and into the early '80's, the chopper-style became the rage...and they built the Standard and the Special. The Heritage Special had that '80's look with the sissy bar, two level seat, high bars, and are, to my eye, pretty ugly... but they are the same bike underneath it all.

....They are all pretty much a vibrator-on-wheels, though!

:evil
  4. Kt-88

Kt-88 I like everything.

Oddometer:
    Yep. My wife loved ours. ;)
  5. TipsyMcStagger

TipsyMcStagger Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. Bikaholic51

Bikaholic51 Electric Kaiser Supporter

Oddometer:
    My kid just sold his R80/7 for $1,500 and it was running but did need some work but nothing major. Carb rebuild and a few odds and ends. I think he sold too cheap. Wait and look. Shopping is half the fun anyway. This bike is parts. Way overpriced in my book. Way Way Way overpriced. :eek1
  8. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    The thing isn't junk exactly, but the seller is a moron. If he parted it out, and the other motor, he'd get his money. There is a strong market for used parts. But you want to be on the right side of that, ie. selling, not buying. As a rule, don't do biz with morons.

It needs so much that it is going to be very costly to get it on the road. You want something at least intact so you can see how everything goes---if you are starting out.

Your best bet is an original owner machine, fully operational with about 100k on it, a big stack of service records and crappy cosmetics. it will be cheap and you should have 30k before it needs stuff like a timing chain or head work. that's a few years of riding and working on it and getting to know it. You will also find out if you are airhead material. Clean up the cosmetics and you can sell it at a profit right there. They last well over 500k so if you keep it then it may be the last one you own.

Avoid the R65.
  9. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    Avoid the R65?
  10. Plaka

Oddometer:

yes.
  11. ritetwist

ritetwist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Avoid ? ,I have 2 and am contemplating another.Explaination requested.
  12. TipsyMcStagger

TipsyMcStagger Long timer

Oddometer:
    From what I've been told (as I'm sure you know), they have little parts commonality with other airheads.

Tipsy
  13. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I don't care for the R65 machines. They are an entry level motorcycle for people who don't know how to ride a real motorcycle. I also don't like Airheads made after '84, they have Nikasil cylinders, real men have Iron cylinders. And I don't like 500 and 600 cc Airheads, they have funny cam shafts, they ping. And why would anybody want a 750? They come bigger you know. But I don't like R100 engines, they are too big and vibrate. I guess the only one I like is the 900 but in '74 the alternator is too small and the transmission? Don't ask. There is the 1976 900 but it doesn't have a headlight on/off switch so you can't turn off the headlight, that's stupid. No, I guess I like the 1975 R90/6. That's what I like and that's what I ride.

:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky
  14. ritetwist

Oddometer:
    Guess I should learn how to ride a real motorcycle.
    The 65's will have to do as a trainer.
    As for parts commonality,if I have 3, I should be able to keep one going all the time!
    Do I detect a bias?
  15. Kt-88

Kt-88 I like everything.

Oddometer:
    Or sarcasm.
  16. Plaka

Oddometer:
    Exactly. You have 3 so you can part out 2 of them to yourself.

Too many unique parts, too many exceptions, too little interchangeability, too few used parts.
  17. ritetwist

Oddometer:
    Sorry about the hi-jack.I see your points about being an "orphan", I am liking the feeling of the 65's.
    Back on topic,it is nice to find a one owner machine that has not been ratted,wires clipped and spliced,
    pieces added and then removed.The odd SAE bolt thrown in for confusion.Especially electrics (which I am not great with).
    It means a lot for a new owner, it is easier to take apart,clean and reassemble without trying to put it the way it was meant to be.
    Mileage does not have to be the first consideration.
    Record keeping is a definite plus.
    Good luck with a new purchase.
  18. bmwhacker

bmwhacker Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer:
    I passed on this R100RS a while back. Was really tempted but the guy wouldn't budge from $1500.00.

The Bad:
    the bike had sat dormant outside for a number of years, Paint was shot, seat rotten, Front master cylinder broken, rear master cyl. stuck, all calipers stuck, tires dry rotted, fairing / plastic had scrapes, scratches and UV damage.
    gauges were in poor condition and a multitude of other minor issues were evident.
    ....plus It appeared to have sat out under a tree with birds crapping on it for a few years.

The Good:
    It actually ran, though poorly, Had the "pop out" fairing driving lights (with one burnt out).

This was a tempting project but re-fitting properly would have ran into some serious dough.
    After some thought, I threw a little lower price at the guy and he about had a fit.

A couple weeks later I saw a pretty decent looking similar speciman, that I could ride accross the country for $3200.00. Glad I passed on this one....maybe $1500.00 was a decent buy, but not for me. .

[​IMG]
  19. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I'm still bringing this one back as a full restoration which will be showroom by the time I'm done real soon! To be fair, there will be parts from about six other bikes in the mix as well. If prepared to take everything down to the crank and refinish (or replace) every single part, the starting condition becomes less relevant.

A big BUT... I would not start with an open engine that rots from the inside out.
  20. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    Some real good, and honest, advice given to Tipsy in this thread.

I know it's hopeless, seeing the bikes you already own, but I'll toss out another tid bit.

Don't buy a bike for romance or lust. It may seem like a good idea, but you'll never come out ahead in the end. It will just be a learning curve to understanding that it was a mistake that you should never make again.

You wouldn't take on a girlfriend as a project, don't take on a bike as one either.