Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Option #1

Option #2
  2. Day13

Day13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A thousand thank yous! That is cool how you did that Option #2. :clap
  3. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    I also use the old Picasa, not the + version. I hate +, but fortunately Google seems to be letting us use the old version for now.

Go to the image you want to share, right click on the image itself, and copy that link. Don't use the album link, or the link at the top of that image page. Get the image's url. Don't use the code Google tells you to 'Share'.

It even works from my iPad. On the iPad, hold your finger on the image for a couple of seconds, then select 'Copy' to get the url of the image.
  4. konfucius

konfucius Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since I updated to firmware 5.10 I often lose the satellite signal, or at least the Montana tells me so, and the only way to get the signal back is to turn it off and on again.
    If I turn it off and on while on bikepower the signal immediately returns so I kind of suspect its actually just a software glitch and not a real "signal lost", it can happen anywhere, even out in the open.
  5. Bikenstitches

Bikenstitches Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't seem to figure out why routes, when they transfer from Basecamp to my 600, end up going point to point versus via the roads shown on Basecamp?
    I have City Navigator maps on the device. What am I missing?
  6. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Did you do a master reset after the update? Seems many who do that will clear this issue up. Don't know why it's not recommended after updating.
  7. FireDog45

FireDog45 Squirrels get enraged when they see me naked Supporter

Oddometer:
    My routes do the same thing but if you give it a little time the Montana will create the route. So two questions: what routing preference is your Montana set on and how much time are you giving the unit once you access the route? It doesn't take long but it gave me the WTF moment :lol3
  8. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Change the Map Speed to Normal to avoid this bug until such time garmin sees fit to resolve it.
  9. konfucius

konfucius Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :thumbup
  10. Bikenstitches

Bikenstitches Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AAAaahhh- WTF indeed- Thanks:clap
  11. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, my turn. Been watching this thread for a long time and I thought I would have copied and pasted this part.

Installed CNNA and got lifetime update all on MAC hard drive. Only a short call to tech support to get over a software glitch with Map Installer. Many hours later - success. Yay.

Problem now is I installed Southwest 24k from DVD onto the MAC and could not for the life of me get it installed on the SD card. Called tech guy and followed the steps to highlight the area and got it going but many hours later after looking like it would all work it didn't. Gave me an error message about the Montana unit not being turned on or plugged in. It is plugged in and showing the GARMIN screen with the USB icon.

What did I miss on this install? Almost there and ready to cut the cord on the 478 and mount this GPS up for good.
  12. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Sounds like your Mac went to sleep during the install.
  13. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the MAC set to never sleep but the display to sleep after an hour. I think the last time I checked it was about the 2 hour mark and it was still going strong on the install at that time. Good call though but must be something else.
  14. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    :hmmmmm

I suppose I would just try again...
  15. BanhXeo

BanhXeo Sushiman

Oddometer:
    I had this problem a few months ago as well. I was told to make sure your "Preferences"...(ie: Motorcycling) matched on both the unit and basecamp. So if your set a route in basecamp say as automobile and you are using dirtbike on the montana..You will get airplane mode lines. Check that, it worked great for me since.
  16. AVGeek94

AVGeek94 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had an interesting issue pop up on my 600. I used the Garmin provided screen protector, and didn't quite get the lower left corner seated well. With the extreme heat we've been having lately, the unit would read a touch on the X when navigating and drop me from the map screen back to the main screen. I will be changing the protector, but I just now fired it up to check the FW version, and it won't respond at all...
  17. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Is the screen protector off now?

Have you tried a Master Reset ?

There are a few instances in which it will be necessary to perform a master reset on the Montana, including the following:

Not receiving a satellite signal
    Restoring the factory default settings
    Not functioning properly
    Performing a master reset can cause data loss. To back up user data* utilize the FAQ “How do I back up user data from my outdoor GPS with a USB interface?". If removing user data is desired to eliminate corrupt data or free up additional space, reference the FAQ “Why does my Garmin outdoor or fitness GPS still show my GPS data after a master reset?”.

To perform the master reset:

Power Montana off
    Press and hold finger on upper left side of display (be done in portrait or landscape mode)
    Power on device
    Continue holding until the Do you really want to erase all user data? message appears
    Release finger from upper left side of display
    Touch Erase
    Allow device up to 20 minutes to acquire satellite data with a clear view of sky
    The Montana is now reset and ready for use.

*User data consists of waypoints, routes, tracks, and geocaches
  18. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    I don't know if you have read this thread, but in case you didn't know about this.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19080590&postcount=17
    http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19116494&postcount=18
  19. MADS

MADS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer: