Texas to Tolantongo.

Discussion in 'Americas' started by slowoldguy, Dec 8, 2012.

1. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Talked to Schizz tonight. I think he's already getting the itch to go back. lol

Blast off date is looking like next Thursday. Which could be Wednesday or Friday. But in there somewhere.
  2. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    Yep. I feel a sickness settling in. Could take the rest of this week and most of the next to come on full strength. Good thing I gotta coupla sick days left this year.
  3. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's called Boogie Fever :lol3
  4. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking we've settled on the Pharr Bridge and Mex 97 and a blast south the first half of day one. Hit the gate at opening time. (Other option is Anzalduas and then heading south after we hit 85 but I can't see yet why that would be preferable if the Huasteca is the target area.) Hit 101, loop around San Fernando, loop north around Cd Victoria to Jaumave.

From there south, twist , turn, get lost, backtrack, wander, curse cartographers, explore, wonder, hoot, holler, and occasionally scream like a little girl.

That's pretty much the plan. El Salto, Salto Micos, Aquismon, Xilitla, Jalpan, Pinal de Amoles, San Joaquin, Zimapan, Barranca Tolantongo, maybe a side-trip to Bernal, maybe another from Jacala to Pacula, or maybe keep heading east over to 105. Then start working our way north by a different route. All weather and time dependent.

We won't push the day into the dark in Mexico. Been there, done that. Scary stuff on a mountain road when your almost dead headlight puts out less lumens than a firefly and you are trying to stay on your nephews ass through a twisty mountain road. Jeebus. That well and truly sucked. That memory doesn't fade. If that limits our miles, so be it.

Avoid cities, avoid class 3 and 4 dirt roads, dial it back a notch or two from our scorched earth US riding pace, find natural wonders and twisty roads. Eat well. Sleep in clean, cheap hotels. We'll have a spot and a sat phone. We'll have tools and folks that can use them. We'll be as informed as we can be. We will do what we can to minimize risks. But we're going. ;)

This trip will not be near the trip others have taken, and it will just be for a week, but for us....Texas flatlanders with no running creeks, the thought of mountains and rivers and waterfalls and grutas and parrots and golondrinas and barrancas has caught us in its grip.

All advice welcome.
  5. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got your advice right here.

The sooner you get down there, the happier you'll be.

No Charge
  6. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    lol. We're peddling as fast as we can.
  7. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Trice. I read a report where y'all did the road from Jaumave south. Have you got a time and difficulty report? Looks to be maybe 70 km to Ocampo with an un-improved section in the middle. How un-improved is my question. Goal is to hit Jaumave by lunch or lunch-thirty. Don't need day one to end up on the side of a mountain in my 1/2 a man tent.

My idea will be to do the dirt sections early in the day so we can re-route if necessary but day one is the hard one. Would love to think we could make it to El Naranjo-ish by mostly backroads but that is probably overly ambitious (or maybe possibly insane).
  8. JDowns

JDowns Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer:
    Hi slowoldguy,

All I can say is you're gonna have a hootin' good time!!!

Those are some mighty fun roads you're heading for. Tolantongo won't disappoint.
    Hope to see you down the road soon. I still remember you guys from Texas and the bark of that exhaust on your GS when you hit it. My advice is to ride fast and take chances.

Best wishes for a fun trip from sunny Turbo Colombia.

Saludos,
    Nebraska John
  9. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
  10. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Uhhh.. Everything but that dying part looks muy bien.
  11. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    More roads like that Jaumave to Ocampo would be fine with me. Remote scenic class 1. Good to go.
  12. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Yeppers. A Sammy Hagar route if I ever saw one.
  13. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Looks like maybe another bloated body for our Tampaon River Cartel cruise. ;)

This fella ought to fit in just fine. Just doing my search functon "vetting". Uhhh....that's probably enough vetting. ;)

[​IMG]
  14. terrapinneck

terrapinneck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kathy loves a curvy road too. She's thrilled that I'm going but at the same time a little envious....Key West later this spring for Mrs. TerrapinNeck.:clap
  15. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Ours is just a little jaunt but we will be following in your footsteps part of the way. You were certainly part of the inspiration , or kick in the butt. Whichever you prefer.
  16. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
    SOG, I just copied you with an email I sent to Pancho (Frank Cummings). He has extensive knowledge of Mexico, including the Biosphere area. He won't be around on Thursday when you get here but he might be able to give you some pointers via email. :freaky
  17. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    I appreciate it. Thanks.
  18. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    My reading tells me there is a toll road after the Pharr bridge I want to take to Mex 97. Clearly marked? Impossible to find? I read one report where a group missed it and ended up at the maquiladoras. I don't like cities anywhere and will be happy to avoid as much traffic filled snarl as I can.
  19. pancho

pancho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That would be about right. The Pharr bridge is specific for that purpose. Its not a big deal. Signs should be obvious. It's really convenient.
  20. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Great news!! Simple works for me.