Fun tracks for Big Bikes from California to Cabo and back?

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America' started by MotoMatthew, Jan 6, 2014.

1. MotoMatthew

MotoMatthew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I want to ride from Northern California to Cabo and back on a r1200gs. I'm a fairly strong dirt rider/enduro guy on small bikes, but I'm not confident that I could take the big girl on some of the tracks I've ridden in the past on dirt bikes in Northern Baja. I've never been in Southern Baja by bike.

I have 2 weeks to get from Sacramento to Cabo and back, including a mandatory 3 night stay in Cabo (meeting the wife there). Does anyone have a track that would come close to accomplishing this? Or a portions of one? I want to stay off pavement as much as my time allows.

This has probably been asked before, so I apologize in advance. I've tried searching. I only found one big bike thread for a track like this. Maybe I just suck at it.

Thanks!
  2. oldxr

oldxr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will be crossing at Mexicali on jan19 heading to Cabo.I got the new edition of the baja almanac and it has 6 different line styles for dirt roads .I have the e32 gps maps and between those 2 you should be able to build a good route in basecamp.I know the road down to Coco's and the road around the east cape would be good on a GS.The almanac has some kind of road going everywhere.
  3. haket

haket Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    How is your trip planning coming along ?, I'm doing a similar trip on a GSA and am trawling though posts looking for big bike friendly routes also.
  4. MotoMatthew

MotoMatthew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't done much more route planning. I've got the Baja Almanac sitting in my office waiting for me to go through.

I'm still looking for a partner to do this ride with. Any interest in going down together?
  5. haket

Oddometer:
    I'd be much happier with a riding partner too !, though my trip has to be in mid-March you were planning for later in the year no ?. I've only got a week also :-(
  6. MotoMatthew

MotoMatthew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bummer. I just took two weeks off and probably wouldn't have a job to come back to if I went in March!

Did you buy the Baja Almanac yet? My plan is basically just to pencil in some routes and see what happens, making new determinations along the way as I assess the terrain, my pace, and the Almanac. I figure I can always jump over to the paved areas if i'm running short on time.
  7. haket

Oddometer:
    That's a pity. I got a couple of decent maps and the Garmin Topo GPS maps so far. I'm trawling through GPXchange for Baja stuff with route descriptions. Message me again after March and I'll share my tracks/experience with you.
  8. MotoMatthew

MotoMatthew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sweet, thanks! And good luck.
  9. haket

Oddometer:
  10. MotoMatthew

MotoMatthew Adventurer

Oddometer: