Father and Son first ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Bobby Ginger, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Bobby Ginger

Bobby Ginger Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    My Dad rode motorcycle when he was a younger man, about my age. The story goes that about six months before I came into the world, he had a close call. I don&#8217;t mean close we have every day with people not paying attention, I mean the kind where you start evaluating your life choices. Anyways between the cost of a newborn, and wanting the see that newborn (Bobby Ginger) grow up he (Papa Ginger) sold his motorcycle. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

About seven years ago enough time had passed by, and he was at a stage where he was ready for some adventure again. Papa Ginger took the dive with an almost new 2004 1150 RT. I had always wanted a bike, but the military life did not leave much time for riding. As and exit from the service present I finally purchased a motorcycle. <o:p></o:p>
    Life has a funny way of getting away from us, and three years later we still had not ridden together. Finally we both had some down time for a nice ride. Today we took off north from my house in Jacksonville knowing we wanted to hit the ferry and wind up in St. Augustine for a late lunch. Everything else was just details. <o:p></o:p>
    Ready to start the day, Papa Ginger on the 1150 RT and Bobby Ginger on the 1200 GSA, lets ride :clap
    [​IMG]

I should mention that this is my first experiment with taking pictures on the bike, 181 pics, 103 turned out. <o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On our way out to Mayport
    [​IMG]

As we were pulling up the gate keeper was just shutting the gates. After a look at the fine steads, he let us make the trip.
    [​IMG]

Some other bikers enjoying the day
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paying the piper
    [​IMG]

Lots of this on the way
    [​IMG]

What an amazing day for riding. It was a little cool but the sky was amazing. Lots of jet streams in the sky.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like catching things in the mirror too!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Papa Ginger looking good on the RT
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Papa Ginger leads the way for a quick detour
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ah! Ethanol free, a favorite of ours, no alcohol in the bike or mowers. <o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]

Obligatory ADV sticker. <o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]
  2. Bobby Ginger

Bobby Ginger Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    So we leave Amelia Island and head for 95
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    <o:p>I realized that 17 is ahaed and backroads>freeways</o:p>
    <o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    <o:p>Still following </o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>Alright probably should not take pics on the super slab</o:p>
    <o:p>The Dames Point Bridge is special to our family. My Dad brother, who recently passed away, was part of the construction crew that built it. Papa Ginger later admits that the height scares him a little :eek1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There have been some fires in the area
    [​IMG]
    We took 95 to Buttler out to A1A. A1A is one of my favorite roads. We hit a little lunch traffic.
    [​IMG]
    My house being built :rofl
    [​IMG]
    Victory! This guy was out enjoying his day
    [​IMG]
    South Ponte Vedra, beautiful but expensive holmes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Ocean starts to peak through
    [​IMG]
    We slow down where a crew is surveying the road. There was a guy behind us screaming and cursiing about the jam up.
    [​IMG]
    Took a nice pic while we were waiting
    [​IMG]
    Before we were forced to make our CCW's known to the guy, I decided to let the lunatic pass. When in doubt, slow down, enjoy the view, pull over, and in the words of Papa Ginger FIDO(forget it drive on). Just in time to see the ladies planting some flowers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bridge over to St. Augustine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Scooter date! Lucky guy she was cute!
    [​IMG]
    The wheel
    [​IMG]
    The fort
    [​IMG]
    M'erica
    [​IMG]
    We were ready for a break
    [​IMG]

</o:p><o:p></o:p>
  3. Bobby Ginger

Bobby Ginger Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    Love those trees

[​IMG]

Street of downtown St. Augustine

[​IMG]

some garden

[​IMG]

The food!
    [​IMG]

View from our table, nice layout
    [​IMG]

Fancy ham and bean...delicious

[​IMG]

Mahi crusted with plantains
    [​IMG]

Papa Ginger had Tapas
    [​IMG]

Everything was really good.

[​IMG]

Traffic headed back to 95
    [​IMG]

Decided to skip taking pics on the superslab, it was getting close to rush hour and a little never racking even without a camera in hand. Headed back to my GF's place of business for a libation.

[​IMG]

Total distance was about 160 miles. It was a fantastic day of motorcycles, scenery and food.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  4. slimy

slimy Wanabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Father and son time on bikes - Priceless. I also enjoy riding with my son. Great story.
  5. Day13

Day13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great time. It turned out to be a good day weather wise after it warmed up. Glad to see you got to spend time with your Dad on the bikes. Good times.
  6. RebornRider

RebornRider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Life doesn't get much better than this! I think you may find the only better riding will be when you ride out with your own son, many years from now.
    Thanks for sharing. :-)
    gary
  7. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice story, wonderful to see you out with your Dad! My Dad rode when he was younger but also had a close call that scared him, also had a new baby (my older brother), but he never took it back up again in spite of encouragement from my brother and I. He always supported our interest in riding, though, thanks Dad!

My son and I have done several long rides together, guess which bikes we chose :evil?

[​IMG]

That was back when I lived in Wyoming, about as far from sand and sea as you can get, lots of wonderful riding but a rather short season. You don't ride there in February, that's for sure. You and Dad need to get on those fine bikes and ride up to where the roads are twisty! I'm in western Virginia now and the riding here is unbelievable. I had to laugh about your comment on "my house being built", I've thought that many times as I cruise through some cool beach community. Not happenin', though...

Great story, maybe I'll see you guys up on the Blue Ridge Parkway some day!

Doug
  8. Bobby Ginger

Bobby Ginger Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    He goes every year! My first will probably be next fall.
  9. Bobby Ginger

Bobby Ginger Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    Yep! The liners were nice on the ride home.