Help me choose a tail bag

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by xTomKx, Jul 5, 2013.

1. xTomKx

xTomKx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I need a small bag to carry a rain suit, bottle of water and some misc items. I ride mostly short trips about 200 miles.

So far I found a couple options. I like the look of the Touratech the best but I also like the price on the Moose bag.

Moose tail bag
    http://www.ktmtwins.com/moose-racing-ktm-950-990-lc8-rear-rack-bag

Wolfman Peak
    http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/index.cfm/product/85_9/peak-tail-bag.cfm

Touratech
    http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/...-Bag-Tiger-900-955i-F650GS-single-KTM-990-950

Help me decide which one I should get
  2. rickcj7

rickcj7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think for $10 more I'd get the Wolfman, we all know they are good quality!
  3. mjskier

mjskier Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. kaptinkaos

kaptinkaos Just some nOOb

Oddometer:
    Cargo net, dry bag.

http://www.mec.ca/product/4011-624/mec-weigh-lite-dry-bag/?f=10&q=10L+dry+bag

[​IMG]

Cheap as heck, nearly indestructible, weatherproof, and simple. It's a bag, you put stuff in it, strap it to the bike and ride. LOL! A 10L would be the size of the smaller yellow/black bag on the tail.

Fwiw, it's what I use to carry my tools, tubes, rain gear etc on day rides in the rugged outdoors. I also wear a small camelback/backpack that I put munchies and stuff in. Cheers!
  5. Zander

Zander Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really like my Wolfman E12. Great little saddle bags. Out the way when riding and the load properly placed.
  6. jwalters

jwalters Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer:
    I use a Wolfman on the rear rack of my XRR. No clue what model it is though. I got it on clearance at Aerostich. Very handy. Some pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. xTomKx

xTomKx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That bag looks great. My buddies will probably ask me to carry stuff for them :D

Any wind noise or side effects with that size bag?

Will the bag work well with the stock KTM 990 rack or do I need a base?

I see most votes are on the Wolfman
  8. mjskier

mjskier Long timer

Oddometer:
    No wind noise since it is behind you. And the zippers are butter to operate. I can close then one handed when riding in case I forget to do so before taking off (not that I have ever done anything like that. Anybody who says otherwise is lying :D)

On my SMT it just mounts on the stock rack. It has 4 bungee and hooks that can be adjusted in length.
    It also has an expandable gusset so if you unzip that you can fit a helmet in it.
  9. wcohl

wcohl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. coolmoose

coolmoose coolmoose

Oddometer:
    :ricky
  11. xTomKx

xTomKx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I pulled up some photos of the SMT's and the racks look similar to the 990A. It should mount right up then.

Thanks but I'm going with a larger size so I can carry some extra gear in the colder months.
    Leather skidplate is very original :deal
  12. xTomKx

xTomKx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    found this video about the bungee mounting system of the wolfman. The adjustable length bungee system is neat.

<object height="360" width="480">

<embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/hRT_PZ1TgBo?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="360" width="480"></object>
  13. mjskier

mjskier Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, the bungee system works pretty good. At first I didn't do it right and the back was too much to the rear.
    But I ended up with a system that works very well on the SMT
    I looped both fronts around the passenger handles and then connected the hooks together.
    I then crossed the rears under the base plate on the bike and hooked then to the front bungees.
    It is very secure.
  14. xTomKx

xTomKx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bag is on order. Thanks for the info and mounting tips.
  15. KTMDAD

KTMDAD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. Night Shadow

Night Shadow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the Wolfman Peak and the larger Wolf Tail bag. I really like the Peak bag. It holds its shape and works great when I don't need to carry a lot of stuff.
  17. xTomKx

xTomKx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That bag nice too and the price is right.

After much thinking I got sold on the Wolf bag for it's capacity. It's going to be great in the colder months when I can pack away warm gear.
  18. drzdirtrider

drzdirtrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Update on the Wolfman Wolf Tail bag please. I can't decide on the Peak or Wolf tail bags for DRZ400S dual sport riding. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  19. ADVill

ADVill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For everyday use I have the Moose. Nice size. Not too big and in the way. Holds a decent amount of stuff. If I were adventuring I'd get the wolfman.
  20. xTomKx

xTomKx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wolfman bag has been great. It has all the room I ever need. It fits a full size helmet when expanded. I usually don't carry much gear with me but when I need it it's there. Great for those days when I need to stop by home depot on the way back from a ride.

Bag has been holding up great. Still looks great. Straps are holding up well.

Only downside to tail bags in general is that they make it a bit harder to get the leg over the bike. Took some getting used to. But it's funny when I switch bikes with my friends and watch them struggle to get on and off. They always ask me "how do you do it" :D

Overall I'm very happy that I went with the Wolfman.