Is my KH100 possessed by an evil spirit?

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by KayAitch, Jan 10, 2013.

1. KayAitch

KayAitch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just to bump this thread, I promise I will post a video of this thing FLYING down the road, blue smoke a puffing away, when it's back together.

:D

I am going to go over the carb and restore to stock settings. Do I also replace coil, wiring and condenser?

(PS - I have since done some calculations and I could have bought a real nice RD250 for the money I've spent on this so far. :) Oh well.)
  2. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:

Well, they are a HALF CENTURY OLD or thereabouts....:D. You fell for the old vintage bikes are cheap thing too didn't you? Fun ,cheap and easy to work on. You heard all that from others:deal. They were just sucking you into their madness.
  3. KayAitch

KayAitch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hehe!

I bought it because it was cheap and nasty, and it was the only $$$ I had at the time. Vintage bikes are probably cheap if you have all the tools and all the connections and all the know-how. Me, I know nothing, but I'm happy I got it and I won't stop until it is FLYING! :1drink
  4. bogieboy

bogieboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hehehe them vintage bikes can suck ya in, but the reward once running right is well worth it, and overall cost isnt that bad...like my kawasaki f11, i am currently into the whole bike for less than $300 (not done with it yet though...LOL) and its a decejtly powerful bike...
  5. KayAitch

KayAitch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have had a trusted guy strip it down and take a look and it is pretty much a worse case scenario.

The engine needs all seals, gaskets and bearings replaced. To me this is no surprise and something that I figure should be done while you're in there.

The really bad news is that the transmission/gearbox is completely crumbling apart. Apparently the guy has never seen one so obliterated. It's a bit of a hard thing to take because I hear these parts are going to be pretty hard to find since all the good parts get gobbled up by the bucket racer crowd.

Where do you guys reckon, apart from ebay, is a good place to look for a transmission?
  6. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
  7. KayAitch

KayAitch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :D

That link is a bit of a dead end there FR700. Was it meant to go somewhere specific?

So a 125 engine will fit right in, will it? Hmm, interesting.

There's a 91 gearbox on eBay. Anyone know if it will be the same as a 79?
  8. bogieboy

bogieboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe the kh and ke series shared an identical engine, and as far as i know, the transmission wasnt changed at all during the span they were made, other than points being swapped out for cdi in the 80s... I would think any trans parts for a ke100 would fit your kh, which would open up your options considerably. As i understand it, the kh line was more road oriented, and the ke was more dual sport oriented, but shared most of the components...
  9. KayAitch

KayAitch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That could be very good news for me, thanks bogieboy. There are quite a few KE100 transmissions floating around on the US eBay.

This 91 transmission from a KH100EX looks complete and in good nick for a good price . Any advice on whether I should just take a risk, buy it, and if it is any different see if my rebuild guy can make it fit?

Very long URL : http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KAWASAKI...prg=1006&rk=1&sd=150792500564&#ht_2695wt_1166

I'm tempted to just go for it.
  10. bogieboy

bogieboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    dont know why i didnt think about this before, but whats the engine # stamped on the cases? specifically the first bit... if its g5, then anything from a KE will fit... not 100% sure if its different stuff if its not G5, but if it is, this may be worth the gamble, for the price, as long as shipping isnt too bad...and if they will ship it to you...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-KE-G5-K...Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d0da52cb&vxp=mtr
  11. KayAitch

KayAitch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Bogieboy.

This is what it says on my case. It's a G7E.

[​IMG]

However, I've been into my local Kwakka dealer and got the parts diagram for my bike and I've been cross referencing with other bikes of a similar time on Kawasaki.com. The KE100, as you say, appears to have an identical transmission. However, there is a discrepancy in 1979 (my year) where it has two separate tranmission diagrams depending on which KE100 A- model it is. That's confused me a bit. It also shows this on the American 1976/1977 KH100 diagrams. There is a listing for Transmission and another for Transmission/Drum. What's that about?

In the meantime I've taken a punt and purchased a complete 1992 KH100 transmission from the UK in fine nick. I couldn't find parts diagrams for the later KH100s but I'm just blindly hoping Kawasaki kept the same trannies OR there are at least lots of usable parts. :D Worst case scenario I put it back on the market.

I also wanna nab this to give it a try because it is so cheap (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/17100769...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_3347wt_1114) but they don't ship to Australia.

I'm a relative newbie here but would anyone stateside consider being a proxy for me? I'll somehow buy you a sixer of your favourite brew for the favour :)