Kriega USA Luggage Q&A

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by amanlikemike, Apr 2, 2012.

1. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    My son approves of the US20 bags we use on our 4x4 trips.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. amanlikemike

amanlikemike Recovering Speedfreak

Oddometer:
    :clap Clearly a very well brought up kiddo!
  3. bwphoto

bwphoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to mention my experience with Kriega. I decided to go on a last-minute trip for the Memorial Day weekend. I had been using an old duffel bag with bungees for weekenders, but this KLR-style luggage just wouldn't do on the back of a new 1200GS. I ordered directly from Mike at Kriega in the U.S., and we figured two-day air would get a US-30 to me in time for the trip.

Well, something got mixed up and Mike, knowing I was set to hit the road on Friday, generously overnighted me a bag at his own expense. Super service and a super product.

The US-30 packed up well and worked great for a 3-day weekend. I was staying at a friend's house, so outdoor gear was not necessary but a change of clothes was. Easily held a weekend's worth of city-living necessities and then some, but I think the US20 would've been too small unless you're a total minimalist.

On the 1200GS, it mounted easily and fit "the long ways" with room to spare. There are a ton of mounting points on the back of the GS, and I liked to keep it forward a little for use as a back rest and the ability to just lean back a little and know its still attached. Paranoid, I know.

Anyway, I'd definitely recommend this if you're looking for a weekend getaway pack that is small and unobtrusive. While it looks like there are a lot of straps, they all buckle down and serve a purpose. Nothing flapping in the breeze or anything like that.

Thanks for the great service, Mike!

A couple pix:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Yup! That was a close one - victory snatched from the jaws of defeat! :lol3

Thanks so much for taking the time to post. I do dig the anniversary edition GS. :tb Best looking big bike they've put out since the Dakars that originally carried that livery.

Cheers,

Michael

P.S. You'll want to 'lock-off' the subframe loops, by threading the loose end back through the buckle one more time. Once you've done that, that pack aint going nowhere.
  5. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    Quick question, way back I asked why there were no d-rings on the same loop as the buckles.

Just saw this pic of a US-20 with rectangular D rings over the quick release buckles.

None of the 6 Kriega bags I have (2 US-30s, 2 US-20s, 1 US-10 and a US-5) have these. :(

I have been trying to source "C clips" that I can mount without sewing but have come up short.

[​IMG]

Are those fully solid, IE I would need to cut and sew to mount those right?
  6. ratthing

ratthing refrigerated cybercanine

Oddometer:
    How much weight do you need to support? A couple of no-sewing options: GrimLoc carabiners (plastic, locking carabiner) or a Tactical T-Ring adapter for MOLLE web gear.
  7. ratthing

ratthing refrigerated cybercanine

Oddometer:
    I don't have pictures at the moment, but on the CRF250L, I didn't really like the way the Rack Loops fit on the fender, since the fender has some odd-ball curves. The CRF also has a plastic shroud that covers the bottom of the fender, extending from the swing arm all the way up to the gigantic license plate holder.

Since I had the mounting loop straps for the US-20 I bought to go with the OL 30, I put those to work for mounting the OL panniers, too. I wrapped the rear two around sub-frame brackets near the rear corners, and the front two are threaded into the bracket welded to the sub-frame for the CRF's seat bolts.

I didn't seriously load the panniers as my trip was to the Wagner cup + 1 day of trials training about 130 mi away, staying with relatives. Panniers: off-road pants, jersey, and gloves, 2 sets of street clothes, toiletries, lightweight shoes, elbow and knee guards, mesh jacket liner, and waterproof gloves. My US-20 was more heavily loaded: tablet, DLSR and extra lens in padded cases, chargers for electronics, lock and cable for helmet, boonie hat. It all snugged down really tight.

I have some pictures of the bags mounted, but need to upload them. I forgot to take pictures before I buttoned it up, so I need to take the fender off again to take a picture of the strap attachments.
  8. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Hi mate,

That right there is one of the pre-2012 US packs. In March of that year, all US packs were upgraded to the Alloy Hook Straps system, which did away for the need for the rings (which were only there to thread the then-standard compression straps through in order to build combos) and replaced them with webbing loops to enable quicker combo building via the hooks.

The rings are indeed fully solid without any gap and the webbing is bar tacked into the outer shell. So if you want to add extra mounting points, ratthing's suggestion of locking carabiners or adapters is your best bet.

Hope that helps, but let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Cheers,

Michael
  9. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    I can check... but some of my bags are pre-2012 and might have those rings. If you want them, send me a PM and we can try to work something out.
  10. HaChayalBoded

Oddometer:
    Aside from my US-30 bags, my others are all pre 2012 IE no hook straps or loops for the hooks.
  11. HaChayalBoded

Oddometer:
    Awesome, lemme know if they do, my pre 2012 bags do not, neither do any of my friends pre 2012 bags.

And I also scanned through a bunch of pics of other peoples bags and reviews and saw a bunch of non hook bags without those rings and some with them.
  12. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Nope, sorry. None of mine have that loop on the Fastex Buckle strap.
  13. HaChayalBoded

Oddometer:
    no worries, I just pulled the C clips off an old set of Ortlieb bags and will use those for now.

[​IMG]

If I like the setup I will switch to a more of a quick release solution by using these Siamese D-rings.

[​IMG]

Or a single sided one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will post pics as to their purpose shortly.
  14. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Hi mate,

Just heard back from the UK and - while the info wasn't all that specific - it is pretty simple. Essentially you'd just need 2 x US Tanks with Loop Straps instead of the 4 x Velcro ones. The US Tanks simply join together at the top and the lower Loop Straps are tied onto any suitable part of the frame / rad mounts etc behind the plastics.

Sorry I can't provide any more detail at this stage, but I reckon figuring it out is no more than a one-beer job. :beer

Happy to substitute Loop Straps for the standard ones if you decide to give it a go - just place a note with your order at www.kriega.us and I'll make the switch.

Cheers,

Michael
  15. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a plan! :thumb

Go steady with the c-clips though - I can see those popping off with any sort of significant load / cinching.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Cheers,

Michael
  16. HaChayalBoded

Oddometer:
    I tested them to something like 30lbs, as long as the pull is even, as with using a full 1" strap it's fine.

But in my case they are not load bearing, just keeping one bag from coming off the other, the bag will be right on top of the other.
  17. T1G3R

T1G3R Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Michael-- thanks for great responses on this thread. I'm having a hard time figuring out which US-series drybags to get for my commuting needs. My daily carry items are: work clothes (casual or men's dress shoes, khakis/slacks, dress shirt folded from cleaners, socks/underwear), 13" MacBook Pro with tech items (charger, power brick/cord, projector adapter), breakfast and occasionally a 2nd meal (packed in plastic or foil).

I've been leaning toward 1 US-30 and 1 US-20, but I'd appreciate some advice on what sizing and configuration you think would work best. I'd also considered 2 US-20s, one for computer/tech and food and the other for clothing. Do you think that would work? Would I need to add a US-10 for shoes or incidental items?

Thanks!
  18. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Just as a point of reference... I can pack a week+ worth of camping clothes, including warm stuff, in a US20.

Where are you in San Diego?
  19. amanlikemike

Oddometer:

Well, helloo there TIG3R! :lol3

Nice to have you on-board, mate. :d

My gut reaction, based on the info provided, is that a single US-30 is the way forward for you. It's got more than enough capacity to fit all that in there (although you might want a shoe bag of some description to keep them from muckying up your clean clothes etc).

A US-20 + US-10 or 2 x US-20 would work too, but, for commuting, the fewer bags, the better because this makes it quicker / easier to attach, remove and carry your cargo. It also works out cheaper too. To be fair, you could probably get all of your gear in a single US-20, but you'd have to cram it in there and your shirt could look a bit worse for wear before you've actually worn it.

On that subject, you might also want some kind of box / container to slip your shirt into, if you're keen to keep it crease-free. Although folding it neatly and packing it at the top of the bag will should keep it in good shape it will obviously get compressed when you cinch down the bag. So, it just depends on how smart you need to be!

You'll still have room to spare for the other things most of us invariably end up lugging around unexpectedly on a day-to-day basis. And you can always add another pack at a later date if you need to.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need any more info.

Cheers,

Michael
  20. T1G3R

T1G3R Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I live in Encinitas now, but I'll be moving to Mission Hills in a few weeks. What about you?

Helpful to know about what you can pack in a US-20.