Rear wheel flange cracks (update: Recall issued)

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by marchyman, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Desert Skies

Desert Skies One brick shy...

Oddometer:
    Well, I now have a piece of BMW wall art hanging in my shop. Got the change out done an other than a hiccup with the brakes (induce by me I believe) everything went smooth.

Short write up here.

2. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the wall art club. But I can't decide if I should mount my flange and rotor separate, to screwed together. :lol2
  3. 4wheeldog

4wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I used to own and fly aircraft, I had a wall in the hangar dedicated to broken parts......I refered to it as the "Wall of pain".
  4. Desert Skies

Oddometer:

I thought they looked much cooler together. The contrast of the cracked aluminum highlighted by the worn stainless bring a feeling of how the wheels of technology can grind to a halt by the inherent design flaws within... :stoned
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Together, and make a cool clock out of it with a Roundel in the middle!:evil

Jim :brow
  6. marchyman

Oddometer:
    Simple Garage Cabinet Door art

[​IMG]
  7. Desert Skies

Oddometer:
    Sweet. That's what mine is missing. I need to see if I can make some sort of roundel out of this.

[​IMG]
  8. alex_piloto

alex_piloto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My bike is an 07 1200GSA ADV. 20 thousand miles on it. Just found a crack.
  9. Raineman

Raineman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bummer Alex
    please report it to road safety authority so that it is on record
    It is important to ensure that BMW don't consider these as isolated incidents.
    A recall or other formal action seems appropriate
  10. K to R

K to R Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone (any where in the world) had the part cost covered by BMW in warranty or out?
    My brother had his replaced free of charge and his GS has 50,000km is a 2004 model and out of warranty.
    Cheers
    H
  11. Redron

Redron Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Send me an email to spyke60@gmail.com.
    I now have my second flange beginning to crack. Two places were the disc attaches. Bike now at 52000 ams 05 model.
    First flange was found cracked at 5 places at about 43000 ams.

keiron
  12. Redron

Redron Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Keiron
    Darwin
    NT

13. Redron

Redron Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi there

Brake flange no 2 is on the way out
    Darwin NT Australia
    05 R1200gs
    First flange noticed during a rotor disc change at about 42000 kms.
    Changed myself using procedures as has been posted.
    RTecently pulled swing arm of to lube bearings and drive shaft. Noticed two attachments now have cracks.
    52000 kms
    Bike not used offroad. Recently a bit of water on local highway, perhaps being caused by hot /cold. Use of brakes then a bit of a splash in water. Design??!!!. Was Easy enough to change the first one though this one coming up I will probably take the FD of and do it in a press. Does anyone know if there has been a recent design change in newer models that will fit the 05.:eek1:mad?
  14. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    What is it with you Aussies?:lol3

Jim :brow
  15. advrdr

advrdr Mark

Oddometer:
    Just found 4 of the wheel mount flanges cracked...'05 model.
  16. Iced Tea

Iced Tea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Removed my faulty rotor carrier this evening, 2006 GSA with 21k, ordered a new one from Fort Worth BMW today, they were very prompt and professional. The discovery of the faulty carrier is interesting in that if I hadn't lost the Oring on the sending unit when I changed the fluid in the final drive last week, oil wouldn't have slung out all over the wheel prompting my removal of the wheel to investigate. Had I not removed the wheel to investigate I wouldn't have noticed the cracks then I would be in Mexico all this week tooling around and it's quite possible total failure of rotor carrier would have ensued.
    Yes I know I should have noticed the cracks when I changed the FD fluid last week but this sort of failure shouldn't even occur. Moral of story slow down take your time your life could depend on it.

Thanks to everyone who posted the info was priceless.

Attached Files:

17. KankakeeBenjamin

KankakeeBenjamin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all for this post and info. I have a final drive leak I am fixing now and never would have thought to check this. Thanks now I will check my final drive while the wheel is off. Dangerous
  18. chiba

chiba FYYFF

Oddometer:
    Excellent idea, may do just that!

Had my rear wheel off after picking up my '05. No big cracks yet, but I can see just the tiniest hint of cracks starting to form; bike had 52k on it when I bought it. Going to replace the rear brake disc at the same time...

...so, dumb question:

Is there any reason the flange & disc can't come off together, then fit the new disc to the new flange, then reinstall them as a unit? I see some folks are putting the flange in the oven to install it, would that harm the brake disc?

I was lucky enough to have a coupon for my local dealer & got the flange for $215. Hard to beat that price - but I certainly hope I don't have to replace this part in another 50k.

--chiba
  19. marchyman

Oddometer:
    I think a brake disk will get lots hotter under use than you'll find in an oven heating the flange. But... I'd worry more about the fact that the flange might expand lots more than the disk due to the different materials. If they are bolted together will that stress the mounting holes? :dunno

It may be a non issue. While I used a 350 oven, the part wasn't that hot, probably closer to 250~275.
  20. Iced Tea

Iced Tea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You know it's redicolous that this part fails, this shouldn't happen, I was very close to having my rear disk tear loose while i'm possibly breaking on some remote Mexican mountian road.