Moab 2012 - Bittersweet

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Lycan1, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Thank you, on all accounts. The sand / silt is interesting for certain. At least it doesn't hurt you or the bike as much as regular gravel and rock.

Crashin like Lycan.JPG
  2. Ford_Prefect

Ford_Prefect Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Afghanistan... Lovely place minus the heat & dust!

Ironically the first thing I ever broke on my bike, after dropping it three times in rocks, was dropping it nearly zero speed in the sand and is cracked my side fairing thing is half a dozen places, I could not believe it! At least it did not hurt me... haha
  3. bomose

bomose Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    First of all I'm sorry for your loss.The memory of this trip and the loss of your sister will always be linked.Your writing and pictures really bring out the adventure of the rides. . It's great to have good friends to enjoy them with. My wife and I must have left a few days before you got to Moab.Our days seemed to be a little cooler. We left on May 25. Except for Chicken Corners and Onion Creek we didn't take the same paths as you. When you venture back to Utah, you should look at going to Capitol Reef. Just be warned, it has more sand. I look forward to your next report. Peace to you and your family.
  4. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Thank you for that.

It was on the list, but there just wasn't enough time (in one trip) to see it all. Sand doesn't really bother me anymore (except maybe on steep hills) so that would not deter me. A couple of weeks can make all the difference in temperature and next time will be earlier in the year.

IMG_0176.jpg
  5. bomose

bomose Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was in Moab one year around the end of May . The temps were in the 70s and none of the passes were open above 9000 ft. The next year on the same date it was 105. We stayed in the mountains. There is lots to see up there, too.
  6. Ford_Prefect

Oddometer:
    I live about three hours away from Moab, and I used to go there often in my jeeps. Personally I think that earlier is good as a general rule. However I have seen people busting snow on some of the simpler trails because of going too early. It is a shame really, but there USED to be a jeep forum there in Moab, for people who lived in Moab. It was a wonderful resource to get online and find out the pulse of the area, weather, etc.

Anyhow I have also been told that later in the year is also a great time to get down there, but I have not managed it in all the time I have lived here. When it starts getting later in the year I am turning my attention to Ouray Colorado! (an amazing place if you have not been yet)
  7. Ford_Prefect

Oddometer:
    Some very nice photos, thank you again for sharing.
  8. mike1952

mike1952 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been going to Cooke City since the 70s and can say it has not changed much. One of my favorite places.
  9. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Just a panorama that I stitched together while playing with photoshop. This was taken on the Onion Creek, LaSal loop east of Moab.

IMG_0160.jpg

Panorama Utah.jpg
  10. b1pig

b1pig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Amazing series of photos. I've been to Moab twice. june of 2003 and sept 2006. Both times, I was driving a '98 Grand Cherokee with ... um... modest mods.

I did some research before I went out in 2006 since I was going alone. Moab probably wouldnt have been what it is today without the nuclear bomb and uranium. Charles Steen was the guy that hit the big load, and the Mi-Vida mine was the first big mine in the area. I searched it out and found it. It was an easy drive. I also found several OPEN access/vents east of the mine entrance, which was sealed off when I visited. Its not a common trail... and offers its own views of the LaSalle mountains.

I encourage it for anyone with time to kill in Moab looking for an easy 1/2 day trip.

http://www.panoramio.com/user/2985307

i cant wait to go back again. its been too long.
  11. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Thanks, it is hard to take bad pictures in Moab, it is amazingly beautiful. There are so many places that I want to see but Moab still haunts me. I know i'll be back.

IMG_0088-2.jpg
  12. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just saw this, great read and nice pics!
    Sorry for your loss.
  13. Glenn Eire

Glenn Eire n00b

Oddometer:
    Kudos on a cracking report dude epic stuff had me hooked from the get go Moab is a stunning place an for a fella living on the other side of the atlantic you paint an excellent picture of it both through photo and by report , sorry for your loss also you were a tougher man than most to continue on . thanks for sharing :clap
  14. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Thank you, on all accounts.

Thanks! I did what I thought I had to, given the choices at the time, I didn't feel very tough but it's all about perspective.

I'll always have very mixed emotions about Moab , but it's beauty is astounding.

IMG_0151.jpg