DR650SE Index Topic # 9 ELECTRICAL/LIGHTING

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Krusty ..., Nov 8, 2010.

1. sagedrifter

sagedrifter Southern Explorer

Oddometer:

Look here: http://dr650.zenseeker.net/SignalLights.htm

Scroll to the bottom and you'll find the directions for turning the signals into running lights/turn signals.....

I would think seperate running lights on the rear tied into the brake light is far more pratical and easy to do though.

Like a Whelen TIR6 or some other plug and play deal for bikes. The stock lamps aren't worth messing with really, just some thing to tinker with for some. Lots of ideas on that zenseeker page.

I might add a brite rear stop light one day.
  2. Ride-til-sore!

Ride-til-sore! still 20 in-my-mind

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feed back guys. Great info sagedrifter! :clap
  3. greener556

greener556 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Has anyone used this for a 12v outlet - phone charger?
  4. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Almost everyone :evil
    TreasureState likes this.
  5. greener556

greener556 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

No problems with blowing fuses or anything?
  6. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    People have been using it for heated vests. A gps/phone is no problem.
  7. sasha_j

sasha_j full time RV'er

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip on the " black plug with a brown and a black/white wire over the headlight". I used it for a 12V powerlet for my GPS. Been working great for a while now.

Different issue: Couple days ago, my horn gave it's last beep....worked normal, then dying sound, then nothing....

Before I check for 12V there and buy a replacement, I gotta ask if this happened to anyone else, horn just dying out of the blue @ 18,000 miles?
  8. sagedrifter

sagedrifter Southern Explorer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, they don't last long. Especially if you ride in the rain and freezing weather will get the wet ones quick. Mine quit around 8K, I replaced it at 12K or so...:D

Needed it for the DOT inspection. I just used a regular one from the local auto parts store. High tone was my choice, about $9 to $20 depending on the model. I think the cheap ones work best and draw less power. TPI probably has one for motorcycles, they had a chrome one last time I looked. :evil

My fiam one has lasted much better than the stocker.
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  10. sandwash

sandwash Long timer

Oddometer:
    Watch out for auto horn's they take amps to work.You will fry the horn button(contacts),wire a relay for it and you will be safe
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  12. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A bit pricier, but if you need it right now, O'Reilly's carries the Deka. Might be rebadged as the SuperStart ETX9.

Sarah
    smilin jack likes this.
  13. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    To use front signals as marker lights, you can buy dual-filament sockets to fit your signals. NAPA usually can get a pretty wide selection of this stuff. You could also buy dual-filament signals. I bought some stock-looking dual-filament signals on Ebay, got some CycleGear adapters to connect the flasher filament wires (w/bullet connectors) to the stock wiring harness, and spliced the marker filament wire into the tail-light circuit. My tail/brake bulb and my signal bulbs are LEDs, so I don't worry about over-taxing the circuit. I also don't worry about overheating the signal housings, as LEDs stay much cooler than incandescent bulbs. I can also turn the engine off, turn the ignition to the "Park" position, and leave the bike lit up on the side of a dark road for a considerable time without killing the battery.:clap

If using LED bulbs in stock-type housings, get some rated for around 1W or better. The lesser LED bulbs are not very bright.

You could also get some amber LED strips from Autozone/Advance/Pepboys/etc., and stick them on your handguards. Again, wire them into your tail-light circuit and they will work in the "Park" ignition position. I'd also use an LED tail/brake bulb, so you don't over-tax the tail circuit. The stock 1157 tail/brake bulb is about a 3W/23W bulb, so a 1W/3W tail/brake LED, and 1W (x2) marker lights will be similar to stock wattage requirements on the tail circuit. You'll actually use approx. 20W less than stock when sitting at a stoplight with the brake lit. My LED brake bulb also flashes 3x before going solid.

LED bulbs like this are available all over the web. I got mine from www.superbrightleds.com.
  14. Cobain

Cobain night owl

Oddometer:
    Just a couple Hella 700ff's with custom mount. $80 total. Added a $4 switch to turn them off in the day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unused connectors are circled in red. For instance: front park light, throttle position switch (2 in second drawing), headlight flash, NSU optional circuitry (1 in second drawing), etc.

Edit: Uhoh, I wonder where someone else's photo went? :patch
    [​IMG]

Rusty Rocket found it here:
    [​IMG]

nmerrill at DRRiders has added color. :clap Check out the green arrows and red numbers (bottom right), he's even added useful notes. :beer

[​IMG]

There are two hidden splices that occasionally cause problems, they are very difficult to trouble shoot. They're poorly done crimps and well hidden.

[​IMG]

They live somewhere in here:
    [​IMG]
  16. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Good to know what's what with that! Thanks!
    When I first got my DR650 I took pics of some of the unknown ... and unused plugs. I put my VOM on them and found some to be Switched and some Un-switched. LOOK HOW CLEAN THAT BIKE IS!!! :lol3 (not any more!)

Unfortunately I did not DOCUMENT which was which ... but I did take pics.
    It's not that hard for owners to simply stick a VOM into some of these. NOTE:
    Some of the unused plugs are plugged (or sealed) up from the factory. So I guess Suzuki don't want you messing with those ... but what do they do? And ... could they be used for something else? I found at LEAST three available plugs in my search ... here are a few Pics:
    Enjoy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. VooDooDaddy

VooDooDaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    O.K. Fellas. I need some help with my DDM headlight kit. I came across ADVGrifter's posts about the headlight tutorial, both here and on TT. Please take a look at what I received from DDM. Mainly, I don't see/understand how I secure the new bulb in my headlight housing? The original bulb has a metal lip/flange that secures it into the headlight housing. The flange surrounding the headlight is metal. There is now way to transfer this to the new bulb as seen in the pictures.

In ADVGrifter's posts on page 3, beginning with reply #35, his 8th and 9th photo shows a bulb flange that appears to be rubber?? Did I order the wrong parts from DDM? Is there a rubber part or flange that surrounds the bulb that I need to order from Suzuki to place around the new bulb to secure it into the headlight assembly?

The pictures below should clearly show what I received and the problems I am having. Thanks in advance for your help.

My first two pictures show the original bulb as it was installed when I took the headlight housing off my DR650.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New DDM bulb:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now way to securing into the headlight housing??

[​IMG]

Here's what I got in the kit. No receipt, no instructions, no part numbers, no order confirmation?

[​IMG]
  18. VooDooDaddy

Oddometer:
    Sorry guys,...It looks like I simply got the wrong bulb in the kit. Doing more research looks like I need to exchange the bulb in my kit for an H4 low beam bulb?

Sorry for getting ahead of myself.

Trent
  19. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Damn, looks like they've sent you the wrong bulb ... or at least the plastic surround that holds the bulb and fits into the headlight assembly.

Did you order an H-4 bulb? You can see (look on my TT tutorial) my bulb and plastic surround fitting are different to the one you have.

I was able to reach an actual person in the San Diego area at DDM Tuning.
    He sorted out my order when I returned the high/low system. Maybe someone there can help. I think I got the Boss: Chinese American, probably a Berkeley or UCLA grad. Sharp.

Good luck!
  20. VooDooDaddy

Oddometer:
    Hey Fellas,

More help needed. My desire to light the entire bike with LED's is so I can take advantage of my heated vest/gloves on cold days. I want to reduce the watt usage as much possible; so my plan was to install the DDM headlight kit (new, correct bulb on the way), LED taillight bulb which is working perfectly, and then replacing all the standard bulbs in the turn signals with LED's as well.

I bought and installed replacement LED bulbs for the original turn signal stalks, and also bought an LED specific flasher relay which I also installed to correct the blink rate on the LED turn signals. Here is the relay I bought and installed, as well as the LED bulbs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221168990542?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

http://www.customled.com/products/flasher_relay/flasher_relay.htm#LayoutRegion1LYR

Well, upon installing the LED's in the turn signals, and the the LED flasher relay; my DR650 is basically giving me the bird...!

Upon turning the ignition ON and attempting to activate the turn signals in either direction, both the REAR signals simply light up and stay continuously on. No flashing. Then I tried removing the bulb from the idiot light cluster next to the speedo, and things got just a tad better. With the indicator bulb removed, the rear lights will flash in the desired direction, but ONLY the rear turn signals work.

I am a pretty good mechanic, but electrical stuff is like a black art to me. I understand electrical stuff about as well as I understand Chinese writing.

Help appreciated...!