Motoventuring From Alaska to South America - A Collaborative Video Blog!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Becktastic, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Becktastic

Becktastic Bonzai Becky

Oddometer:
    If the embedded videos aren't working on your device,
    Try My Channel directly on YouTube
    Subscribe and you'll get an email when I add a new one. :)

We just made A PLAYLIST for YouTube, so you can watch all episodes in order without having to click anything in between!

Also please Like and Follow us on our new Facebook Page for pictures and updates on our current location (as videos will perpetually be behind).

Hey there! I'm about to start my biggest moto adventure to date and I'm doing things a bit differently this time by making videos as I go.
    I made this little intro to tell you about the trip. :D

My plan is to collect ideas, destinations, questions and challenges from you guys as I go to make it an interactive experience and hopefully more fun and interesting for both of us!

I'm flying into Alaska, buying a bike and embarking from Fairbanks on July 20th (just a couple days!) so please post some ideas and challenges up on this thread or YouTube and I'll do my best to incorporate as many as possible! I have about a month and a half for Alaska and the west coast and I'm factoring about a year for the whole trip, so the pace should have room for lots of side adventures! The wonderful rotarygirder will be joining me for the Alaska leg and my good friend Andrea will be riding South with me from San Diego!

Thanks in advance for your help, I'm super excited to get this show on the road!

Andrea's Introduction (added October 2nd, 2013)

Azteca Descent likes this.
  2. adventurebound9517

adventurebound9517 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in. You go girl and be safe. I like your video and the pink hair is cool too.
    I do have a question? How do you finance a trip like this? You are doing what a lot of us would like to do if.......... I hold young women in high regard who take on an adventure like this. I have a friend from your area that is an adventire rider, she goes by the name of Operaflute. :thumb:thumb
  3. poolman

poolman Gnarly Poolside Adv. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another Becktastic Ride Report!

:ricky :ricky :ricky

This should be great,
  4. JDowns

JDowns Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer:
    I met you briefly at the Roll the Bones rally last year. Heard about your upcoming adventures with Andrea over rib dinner. My Sherpa gas tank still has a Becktastic! signature. It is waiting for me down in South America while I work this summer for more travel funds.

So happy to see you are taking off. Have a great trip! Hope to see you down in South America next year.

Your ADV pal,
    Tio Juanito
  5. Becktastic

Becktastic Bonzai Becky

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the support! :D I'll try to do a future video about financing a trip like this, since I think there's a lot to that answer and a lot of people would like to know haha!

Thanks!

Of course I remember you! And that awesome rib dinner! It was all we could do to finish it with two of us! Keep in touch and hopefully we'll meet again on the south side!

I made a short clip about the kindness of Alaskan strangers and getting my bike prepped for the Dalton Highway. James (rotary girder) should be getting his bike in Anchorage right now and rolling up to meet me tonight, we're going to have a welcome feast and take to the highway in the morning. It's been raining a lot, but I'm not scared! :wink:

6. slaterock

slaterock Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Beck,

Very cool idea, the vlog that is. It definitely separates you from a sea a common posts. Looking forward to you trip!

slaterock
  7. Cmnthead

Cmnthead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Teeswater Ontario Canada/ Playa Oria Panama
    Hey there, have a safe ride and have fun.
    It's a bit early now, but when you get a little further down the road, you, like other ADV riders have, are welcome to hang your helmet at our shack on the beach in Playa Uverito Panama. Your Tio Juan Downs has stayed there as well as DylanS the crazy little fella and Randy from Alberta.

My son, Cam, and I are heading out in November for our 6 week ride from our driveway in Teeswater, Ontario, Canada to our driveway in Playa Uverito, Los Santos, Panama. We plan to get there a week or so before Christmas. But hey wether you come by before, during or after, you are welcome to hang out and enjoy some rustic, typical Panamanian culture and hospitality. There are a few pics on Tio Johns rr somewhere around page 78ish at the shack.

Maybe see you down the road. Looking forward to the rr.
    Safe travels:clap
  8. recharge

recharge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    just donated a day on your website.

good luck - looking forward to reading about it.

Richard
  9. Eddywoodgo

Eddywoodgo two wheeled nomad

Oddometer:
    You go Girl, I was supposed to Fly to LA on the 15th/10 to ride to the tip of south america then back up to Artic cirlce. I been riding around Australia in the mean time but just had a crash on Cape york. Got an xray after 2000 more kilometers and have 9 broken bones in foot an ankle. So surgery for me and delayed trip.
    Have you any tips for a positive healing experience after your wrist??
    Enjoy your trip, I will definatly keep posted as I will be in your tyre tracks soon.:clap
  10. Becktastic

Becktastic Bonzai Becky

Oddometer:
    Thank you! I'm realizing why it is uncommon though, electronics aren't easy to haul around, keep safe and charged!

Thank you so much! Andrea and I will definitely stop by when we get down your way (though it will be a while yet!)

Thank you Richard! Keep an eye on your mailbox for a thank you postcard! ^_^

Yikes! I would say finding a really good surgeon is the most important and get that metal out of your body if you can. For me, the second surgery was the best decision I could have made. I had constant aching from the metal and limited range of motion from scar tissue until I had them removed. And do your physical therapy! Don't be afraid to accept help offered to you, don't isolate yourself, healing is long, often painful and boring, but remember it is a temporary state and you will get better! :hugs and healing thoughts your way:

At least you can watch this video and live vicariously until you can ride the Dalton yourself! :D

11. Becktastic

Becktastic Bonzai Becky

Oddometer:
    Dalton Hwy Part 2!

12. huguesfrederic

huguesfrederic HF

Oddometer:
  13. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    I'll follow along, it's been pretty good so far...

Have you preplanned your route south or are you just winging it?
  14. adventurebound9517

Oddometer:
    What a great way to present a RR. I'm not usually a fan of video.o but this is the exception to that rule. Rise on Becktastic Ride on. :freaky
  15. Belgian Waffles

Belgian Waffles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1
    I'm in!

We've got couch space and a garage if you come down through the Willamette Valley. Your PM is welcome when you get here.
  16. pebmr

pebmr Retired Marathoner

Oddometer:
    Great reports so far, hope the rain lets up a little for you as you head south. Ride Safe!
  17. adventurebound9517

Oddometer:

Hey BW, I used to live in the Willamette Valley. Silverton, near Drake's crossing.
  18. Becktastic

Becktastic Bonzai Becky

Oddometer:
    Mostly winging it. We have a few deadlines of places we need to get to. James has to be back to work in early September and I want to be in Oaxaca for Day of the Dead, but I try to keep it flexible. :1drink

Glad you are enjoying it!

We very likely will! I'll try to give you as much advance notice as possible, still a couple weeks out at least. :D

Thanks! I hope so too, but it isn't looking good. We're actually in Willow now and heading to Anchorage tomorrow for a maintenance day, the last couple days have been gorgeous but the forecast is rain rain rain...

19. Yukon Jon

Yukon Jon Perma-lurker

Oddometer:
    Hey, congrats on the start of what promises to be a pretty grand adventure.
    If you need a place to crash, or a hand in the Yukon, drop a PM, I'm on the Tent Space thread.
    - Jon
  20. Belgian Waffles

Belgian Waffles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in Corvallis, grew up in Portland. Hopefully Becky will come by Corvallis on her way south!