the DR200 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by klxrdr, May 13, 2007.

1. tony the tiger

tony the tiger Long timer

Oddometer:
    secret owner of a Parmesan cheese factory
    Congrat's!
  2. jeffcneal

jeffcneal Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kleio:

Don't you just love finding a smoking great deal on a fantastic bike:clap!?

regards,
    Jeff
  3. thesurvivalist

thesurvivalist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im selling a richochet skid plate in the flea market for the dr200 if anyone is interested.
  4. JayGoldstein

JayGoldstein Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Clean looking machine. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine (an unsold 09 I bought last April). I put about 2,900 km (1,775 mi) on mine last riding season.

One question for those who have bought a new or nearly new DR200SE: is there a particular point (X number of km/mi) at which the engine is fully broken-in? I recall reading some posts in a Suzuki TU250 forum in which owners claimed (if I remember correctly) that after about 10,000 km (6,200 mi) their engine ran noticeably smoother. Anyone had a similar experience with their DR?
  5. Kleio

Kleio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I found it at a dealership in Fremont, CA. They told me that the previous owner had traded it in along with a Yamaha scooter for a Royal Enfield. I negotiated a bit and I got a base price of $3098.09 and an "out the door" price of $3560.00.

The scooter is still at Fremont Kawasaki Honda and it has only seven miles on it. I'm sure they'll give you a good deal on it like they gave me.

I have no idea why the previous owner hardly rode the DR200SE or the scooter, but I'm happy with what I got.
  6. jeffcneal

Oddometer:
    Kleio:

I'm curious as how a man goes from a brand new Yamaha scooter and Suzuki DR200 to a Royal Enfield :huh ?. But I can understand the appeal after sitting on 1 at my local dealers a while back. The feeling is like a baritone voice claiming "This is a MOTORCYCLE...".

But it's really great that you got such a good deal on a beautiful ride. Here's a sincere "Welcome Back" to the world on 2 wheels!

regards,
    Jeff
  7. Oddfellow

Oddfellow Beasty Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  8. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am that type. It's called "impulse buying" It's how I managed to buy 46 motorcycles/scooters in the past 35 years. I have a nearly new 2012 Zuma 125 with under 500 miles on it that I bought new a few months ago, and am seriously considering trading it for either a new DR200 or a TW200. The TW has certain advantages, but I have no idea how you would fix a flat on it out in the middle of nowhere. So the DR is actually more appealing. I am looking for a small bike, just big enough to be freeway legal when necessary, but don't plan on doing much freeway riding. I rode the Zuma on the freeway for 11 miles (out of necessity) and was terrified about getting busted by the cops.

The thing is, I am a big guy at 240 pounds with gear, and don't know if the DR200 can handle that, along with another 30 or so pounds of stuff. The load capacity of the Zuma is almost 350 pounds, but I can't find the load capacity of the DR anywhere. I also ride an older XT225, and fit on it just fine, but don't trust it for trips of 1000 miles or more due to it's age and condition.
  9. jeffcneal

Oddometer:
    JerryH:

I fully understand a love for smaller bikes and impulse buying when it comes to motorcycles:nod! I would opt for the DR over the TW if it were me simply for the little bit of additional seat height. I'm 5'9" and back up to 155lbs. post chemo. I'm guessing you're a shade taller than me. I know you did'nt ask for advice, but have you checked out the new Honda CRF 250L? I know it's not "apples to apples", but it's not that far off base either. And it's even close in price. That said, here's hoping you find the ride that makes YOU happy:ricky! For me it's the DR.

regards,
    Jeff
  10. BigCanoe

BigCanoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am bigger than you, and with the jet kit, it feels downright peppy! Top speed is still an issue though.
  11. JerryH

Oddometer:
    The DR200 appeals to me because it's the last of the "old school" bikes, air cooled and carbed. I'm 53, and prefer things to be simple and easy to work on like they were when I was younger. I'm 6' tall, but like I said, I fit on the XT225 just fine. I wish they still made it, it would also definitely be worth considering. But I don't care much for the XT250, especially the new fuel injected one, and the KLX250 and WR250 are way too dirt oriented. I would be riding on pavement most of the time, and dirt roads and easy trails the rest of the time. The DR seems to be a favorite on the minimalist touring thread. I just read a ride report about a couple who rode over 6,000 miles on a couple of SYM Symbas (110cc Honda Cub clones) But I do need occasional freeway and off road capability. I also need a manual transmission for climbing. Top speed is not an issue, I like to cruise around 50 mph on level ground. I have quite a few miles on a Kawasaki Eliminator 125, and rode it in the mountains, so I know how slow it can get while climbing on a small bike, but the Zuma with a CVT just doesn't have a low enough gear range for miles and miles of serious climbing. The XT does great on those same mountains.
  12. jeffcneal

Oddometer:
    JerryH:

The DR appeals to me for the exact same reasons. And I thought I was the only 1 with taste! Forget what I said about the CRF then, it shares the same traits as the WR and KLX. Right down to the Transformers headlight and motard front fender. Although there's a guy on here with a motard fender on his DR that looks pretty damn cool! The little bike works for me, but I ride about 95% off-road and only really need the pavement capability for running up to the store and geting from trail to trail. And God, the XT225 was an awesome little mount was'nt it?

regards,
    Jeff
  13. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    I'll chime in with my 2c. My wife and I both ride DRs, me the 650 and my wife the 200. Both of us say the same thing, we'll never sell our DRs! They have both outlasted my wife and I buying and selling three other bikes, each. There's that impulse buying thing I guess.

While I have fun riding the DR200, I wouldn't want it to be my only "fun" bike, even though we both get the small bike thing. Jodie loves her DR200, except for the odd time we end up on the highway. It does well up to 50mph, but on highways with a posted speed of 60 and traffic travelling faster, it just isn't fun. We try to limit or avoid that but sometimes you just have to. She just wishes it had a bit more oomph. She's looked at the new CRF, the WR etc. but they're both a little tall and she has so much confidence on the 200 she's reluctant to give it up.

I'm 200lbs and the DR200 struggles to maintain 50-55, while my 650 has more than enough power. If I see a good used 650 come up for sale I want to jump on it, lower it and let Jodie have a go on it.

I hear you about the old school, that's the reason I chose the DR over the KLR. No regrets.
  14. jeffcneal

Oddometer:
    bross:

Yeah, I know how you and your wife feel. Through the years I've owned DR's in very size except for the 650. I think the DR 350SE was the best "enduro" ever made. And my off-road-only 350's while they were never the best at anything, were great at everything. It'll be interesting to see how long Suzuki holds out before they think it's necessary to give the 200 and 650 a DRZ facelift.

regards,
    Jeff
  15. brailman133

brailman133 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Face mask/windshield on! Sweet[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. JerryH

Oddometer:
    Another nice thing about the DR200 is that because it is still around for 2013, parts should be available for a long time. I did notice in the specs that the 2013 bike has a 2.9 gal. tank, while older versions say 3.4. Range is definitely important to me, which is why I put a 4 gal. Clarke tank on the XT. I have no problems riding at 50 mph. I recently rode my XT225 from Globe, AZ to Lordsburg, NM and back on U.S. Route 70, with a few detours, which came out to be about 600 miles. You can easily get away with low speeds on roads like that on a bike, because there is plenty of room for cars (traffic was mostly 18 wheelers) to pass. But gas stations are few and far between.

Besides 3 scooters (Zuma 125, Vino 125, and 2 stroke Stella), I also have a Kawasaki Vulcan 750, and a '95 Honda Goldwing. The Vulcan 750 has about a 130 mile range, and I have often carried an extra gallon of gas on longer trips.

I have never actually ridden or even sat on a DR200, I just assumed it would be very similar in size to the XT225. My local dealer has 2 in stock. I'm going to go this weekend and check one out and see how I fit. This great thread has already given me all the other information I need.
  17. Charliedog43

Charliedog43 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My questions are for those who have a DG muffler on their DR200s: Do you have the O-series or the R-series? Is there any difference btw the two besides the end cap? I have already emailed DG and have not as yet received an answer. Anyone have a comparison btw the DG and the FMF which is so popular? TIA

Larry aka Charliedog
    Bristol, TN
  18. jeffcneal

Oddometer:
    JerryH:

The DR200 and XT225 share the same 32" seat height, but the DR has a couple of inches less ground clearance. I'm 5'9" and 150 lbs. with a 32" inseam, and the DR's smidge of added leg room is noticeable to me. And since these bikes are designed for the "lighter" side of off-road duty, you'll probably never miss the XT's extra ground clearance. Keep in mind that the Suzuki has a 5-speed tranny as opposed to the Yamaha's 6-speed.

regards,
    Jeff
  19. jeffcneal

Oddometer:

I'd really like to have this info too!

regards,
    Jeff :ricky
  20. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
    What are you guys paying for a circa 2000 DR200se w/ a little over 3k miles in good shape?