AMA Pro Roadracing 2014 No-Spoiler Catch-all Thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by yooperbikemike, Oct 22, 2013.

1. EKIN

EKIN Just Do It

Oddometer:
    You can feel it...not good times for AMA roadracing.
  2. Hughlysses

Hughlysses Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. mdubya

mdubya Right Brigade

Oddometer:
  4. misanthropic

misanthropic Zero

Oddometer:
    In :rofl
  5. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:

I guess WSBK seems most logical but it would be nice to see more involvement from the US in moto2 as a way to give US riders a more friendly path to motogp.
  6. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    don't blame them at all for leaving, cause there's nothing left. the series has become an embarrassment. DMG was supposed to grow the series after the ama sold them the rights, instead, they have killed it.
    I hate them for what they have done to the sport I love. fuck em up their nascar asses.
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, somebody start a new national series!!!!
    best of luck to MJ, moto2, WSBK, wherever?? It's GOT to be better than here.
  7. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would imagine if the world superbike series people were looking for new names to compete in their series, Michael Jordan would be near the top. If I were them, I would probably try and help with the economics. :D
  8. mdubya

mdubya Right Brigade

Oddometer:
    Hmmm...Jordan Motorsports going international... Spies retires from Ducati while his insiders say lots is going on behind the scenes (even after the retirement announcement)... gf tweets never say never... :hmmmmm

I have always thought the Jumpman brand and Nike had much bigger potential if the right moto opportunity came a long.

Whaddaya figger Nike pays James Stewart to wear Nike boots in SX/MX? $1M/year? I bet they do.
  9. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    Spies racing for Jordan does sound like a good plan, I'd guess WSBK, only if spies can get healed up and ride that damn bike like he used to! if not, plenty of young guns out there that can get the job done.
  10. mdubya

mdubya Right Brigade

Oddometer:
    Indeed.
  11. Hughlysses

Hughlysses Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    exactly!!!!'
  14. mdubya

mdubya Right Brigade

Oddometer:
  15. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think very smart for JU to hire JZ. He has shown recently he is still among the fastest, even with little seat time. They could win a championship with Jake. Their other rider would likely move up as well.
  16. mdubya

mdubya Right Brigade

Oddometer:
    I would like to see that happen.
  17. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
  18. DogBoy

DogBoy Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nothing else to talk about in this thread so how about some genuine offseason nonsense?

With the motorcycle market still suffering and so many other places for fans to spend money, I don't see either AMA Pro Road Racing or AMA Pro Flat Track returning to their glory days anytime soon, if ever. I propose the AMA combine the the road racing and flat track championships along the lines of the old Grand National Championship. Both disciplines are struggling to put together full schedules. Both need more participants, more money, more events, more fans and televison viewers.

Short list of pros:
    - More events
    - Much of the top talent in road racing has dirt track experience
    - Could possibly kick-start interest from ostracized fan base(s).
    - Existing road racing and flat track teams could join forces to share costs/expertise
    - Suzuki, Kawasaki, Triumph, KTM brands are represented in both series. Yamaha could suggest using their new 700cc parallel twin
    - Maybe a place for Pro Supermoto among with the short track/TT singles events (really, really dreaming here but I LOVE supermoto)

Short list of cons:
    - Class structure could be too confusing for attention-deficit America :D
    - Limited road race experience for much of the top flat track talent
    - No place for HD on the road race side (BIG problem)
    - Existing teams would not want to share resources or give up control of any aspect of their programs and building a new set of bikes for the "other half" of the championship is prohibitively expensive
    - Just a plain dumb idea :D

I would have put this in the Flat Track thread but I already know what FT fans would say. :rofl

Could this could work? Would it be a step in the wrong direction? What say you?
  19. kwh

kwh Fat Hairy Git

Oddometer:
    Or the Americans could all come & race in BSB... there's better US TV coverage of our domestic championship than there is of yours... and have you seen a BSB championship race weekend?
  20. kwh

kwh Fat Hairy Git

Oddometer:
    I say you make it a 'selected rounds' thing, and only select rounds where there are no schedule clashes. That way full time racers in both series can also do the 'Grand National' rounds in the other discipline, while others can just do the 'Grand National' rounds in both championships and have themselves a season of sorts. Also, probably not Superbikes - it would need to be something like Supersport vs Pro Singles so that the people playing away from home didn't kill themselves on a Superbike or a full on fire-breathing flat track monster. All Harley would need to do is agree to collaborate with Erik Buell Racing, boy would I want to be a fly on the wall in that meeting, to divide responsibilities between flat-track and road-racing under a "Team 'Murrica" banner...

I'd pay actual cash money to watch Shayna Texter have a run-out on a road race bike.