Guitar thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by rajflyboy, Jan 31, 2010.

1. greygeezer

greygeezer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought an Epiphone dot,( Gibson es335 copy ) a couple of weeks ago.
    It looks, plays and sounds great! Had it set up by a guitar tech,all it needed was a little filing of the nut and one fret.
    Very happy with it for less than$500.
    The real deal is over $2500.
  2. Kurt

Kurt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Epiphones are damn good guitars for 99% of us!
  3. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have to agree with this.

Based on my last two new Gibson's, a 60's Tribute LP Studio goldtop, and 50th Anniversary Jeff Tweedy SG (both made in USA) I'm inclined to agree with you. Both play pretty well, but fit and finish aren't very good. I bought my brother a Schecter PT Telecaster for his birthday a few years ago, the shiny black with creme binding (really good-looking guitar) and the fit and finish was much better than than either Gibson, and the Jeff Tweedy SG was nearly $2k, compared to around $350 for the Schecter.

The LP Studio has a wonky, noisy pickup selector, and the P90's are very harsh. I think Fender does a better job with fit and finish on instruments under $2k. That said, I played a pretty cool MIM Tele Deluxe a few weeks ago that I considered buying, but the hardware was absolute junk on it. The tailpeice was so badly finished that you could cut yourself on the metal spurs on it. Overall though I think Fender's are more consistent, but a Strat is a simply instrument to make than a LP so maybe that has something to do with it.

It seems to me that only thing that really distinguishes the $300 Epiphone and Squire stuff from the $1000 instruments is the more expensive ones are made in the USA and have more bling. For the most part the fit and finish and the quality of the parts seem similar to me.

4. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Acquired! VOX AC4TV under the Christmas tree for the man child this year. Should be good for dorm room use! Part of me thinks I'm lucky I don't play guitar, I'd be in some serious financial jeopardy!
  5. pox

pox no longer no bike!!!

Oddometer:
    I knew I shouldn't have gone into GC !! But the Platinum room is quite often a treat as we don't have GC in Canada!! Anyways I did and found a pretty sweet '97 Gretsch 6120SSU Brian Setzer Nashville!! So no Xmas present for me this year, well not at Xmas anyways!!!!!! I thought it was a good deal for $1499 but pickguard is missing, eBay ???
  6. jdgretz

jdgretz Looking for new places Supporter

Oddometer:
    Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop
    A 6120 for only $1500? Man, that's a deal. Pick guards are easy to find. Heck you could get one from Gretsch directly is you needed to.

Where's the pics?

jdg
  7. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Smokin deal. You better run fast you stole that thing.
  8. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    He will like that amp....I have one. It will clean up nice down low, but still have pretty good tone at the 1/4w. setting while getting a bit dirty. Pretty nice little all around amp.....but it can get pretty darn loud....on the 4w setting and with enough to make it dirty it is pretty darn loud.
  9. Josephvman

Oddometer:
    I've made it my personal goal in life to avoid Black Friday hysteria with a vengence, but then I got the email from Sweetwater. Some of the deals were amazing, and just for grins I emailed the guy I've ordered from previously and asked him about a limited-production Martin artist series guitar that I heard was recently released, thinking that even on Black Friday they had their limits and wouldn't be dealing on such an instrument. Much to my shock (as well as my debit card's) he emailed me back a price that was too good to be true, so I'll have some new pics to post in a couple of days! I never thought I'd buy a Martin (I've got it bad for a Collings D2hg), never thought I'd buy an OO acoustic, never thought I'd buy another all-mahogany guitar, and never thought I'd spend a penny on something I don't need on Black Friday! It's an OO body, but a deep body, and 14 fret.
  10. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did not even open my email till today....for the exact same reasons.
  11. pox

pox no longer no bike!!!

Oddometer:

I'll try to get a few up when we get home from Fl.

12. Josephvman

Oddometer:
  13. Dismount

Dismount Dagnabit billy

Oddometer:
  14. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I gave my only acoustic to a guy that use to work here that was in a losing battle with cancer....fighting the sickness left him broke and word on the grape vine that he really wanted to play again as he had to sell his guitar. After he passed I really did not want it back. For the longest time I could not look at an acoustic without thinking about what a cool guy he was....now I am thinking about giving it a go again.....these pictures only help make that itch a little worse.

Oh...and one other thing.....FUCK CANCER.
  15. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful!
  16. Dismount

Dismount Dagnabit billy

Oddometer:
    Bonnie will chew your ankles off. :deal:lol3
  17. Cuff

Cuff no function beer well w/o

Oddometer:
    Good for you to give up a little peace to someone else. Get another one and play it like your friend would.
  18. Josephvman

Oddometer:
    Thanks! It definitely doesn't have the bottom end of a dread, but it has really nice midrange projection. The 1.75" nut and low frets/action make open and barre chords very easy to finger. I have very limited experience playing OO bodies, so I wasn't sure what to expect really, but I was afraid the it would start to sound muddy with very hard strumming, but it's great, which I assume the deep body dread-depth plays a part in. I really like the size for just plucking around on the couch with though, much more comfortable to hold. I got it mostly because I'm a really big Wilco/Jeff Tweedy fan, and I also have his signature 50th Anniversary SG model that Gibson put out earlier this year, and thought it would be cool to both his signature models. I also love the way it looks, and the huge discount on Friday made it more of an impulse thing.

Here's a pretty cool demo of this guitar:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rCKoPvhmiVc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really wanted that Tweedy SG, too. :baldy :lol3

Congrats! Sounds like we have similar tastes.
  20. RedRocker

RedRocker Native Texican Supporter

Oddometer:
    WTF is FSC certified?